Hip & Elbow Testing In Adelaide

Zali Lane

Hi All

I have booked my boy in to have his Hips and Elbows Xrayed next week then have the films sent off to be scored, I am new to this and am having them done thru Noah's Crossing Vet in Lewiston. I know they advertise thru SACA jpurnal and a lot of breeders/showers use them, just wondering if I am going to the right place and others are happy here. Is the scoring an accurate testing or can it be dependant on the placement of the dog?

Yes Noah's Crossing is IMO one of the best you can go to in SA :o They are experienced with taking such xrays and know about correct placement etc for an accurate reading. My Bernese breeder also uses the Willunga Veterinary Hospital, I had Zephyr scored there at 2 years old, she's been going there for 20 years or something and always been very pleased with their services.

ETA: Both Noah's Crossing and Willunga send their xrays to Dr Wyburn in WA for scoring.

Edited by cassie

Thanks Cassie I have heard heaps about Dr Wyburn but forgot to ask when I booked. I go there with my dogs for vaccs and such but wasn't sure if there was somewhere else that others used in the local area

Can any vet to it and send the films off for scoring, or are there only a select few that can do it? Also, do girls need to be knocked out for the xray or are they able to lay still? How long does it take to have the scores in your hands? What sort of price would you be looking at per dog for medium dogs between 20 and 25kilos?

Thanks. :(

Chris Girling is very experienced with hip & elbow xraying. We have had both our dogs done there and our puppy will also have hers there when she is old enough. Noah's Crossing is very experienced with ensuring they have the right position. Another benefit is that they have digital xray so less time under anesthetic is needed as they can check they have everything right in much shorter time frame.