Yet Another Ud Topic!

Seita

Ok, so my girl is still in training for UD and tonight I stumbled across a slight problem with the gloves... it's the about turn part that I'm having some issues with! What I want to know is how everyone turns for glove 3 (or I guess UDX as well)?

I figured that I'd do a left about turn on the spot, however I do a u-turn and was told tonight that if I were to do a U-turn on the spot I would actually end up moving from my position which would lose points.

So how do others do it? I've never done the other type of LAT so am not about to start, which means if I can't do a U-turn then I have to do a 270 degree RAT which means the dog sees gloves 1 and 2 on the way around which isn't exactly a super idea, but I'll do it if I have to.

So please tell me!! :laugh:

I understand what you mean Ness, but do you do a u-turn so the dog effectively goes backwards to stay at heel or do you do the other type of LAT where the dog goes around behind you?

I just re-read the rules and all it says is that the handler must about turn either left or right on the spot and the dog must sit at heel. So techincally according to the rules if I did the u turn on the spot my dog would have to go backwards but I would still be within the rules right? Am I just confusing myself here?

The person I was speaking to is a judge who is adament that doing the uturn sort of turn would lose me points as i'd have to move out of position... however if the dog simply spins it's bum around like on a flip finish I could still turn on the spot... may test that out on the judge next week!

ETA: I looked up your youtube Ness and can see you do the uturn... however according to this judge your footwork would be penalised. I may need to ask a few more judges.

Edited by Seita

Ok this is my glove 1 and 2 turn -

(obviously only 1 retrieve but I turn the same way for both gloves).

And some very old footage when she was very green but you should be able to see the two turns that I do :laugh: .

ETA. Nope the dog doesn't go around behind me we are essentially just pivoting into position.

Here we go I found a glove 3 -

Well the first one got a 20 and the second glove would have scored a 19 under Dave Rumble and I am pretty sure the mark off was a shitty finish because she usually finishes to far around.

Edited by ness