Feeding For A St Bernard

Grace1979

Hi I am picking up my baby girl on friday and will be continuing with what her breeder is feeding her but was wondering what other St bernard owners feed their dogs?

Hi there,

I have a Newfoundland and swear by Nutrience Holistic Giant Breed as it doesn't have all the awful preservatives found in a lot of other foods, and supports the joints and growth of a giant breed dog with glucosamine.

http://www.pookinuk.com.au/product-selecte...p?productID=418

Up to about 12-18 months of age, best to feed puppy food that supports the rapid growth of a giant breed. Again, I used Nutrience but the Large Breed Puppy formula

http://www.pookinuk.com.au/product-selecte...p?productID=254

Alternatively, for a cheaper option Hills Science Diet is a top quality food as well- try the large breed puppy formula

http://www.pookinuk.com.au/product-selecte...p?productID=125

As I'm sure you've been well versed by your breeder, it is immensely important to feed a super premium food to your giant breed pup as they have very specific dietary requirements. Most importantly, don't let your pup get too fat as it puts unnecessary pressure on their forming joints which can have lasting effects. Have fun with your new pup!! :rolleyes:

for a cheaper option Hills Science Diet

Going off the pricing on those links (the quoted RRP, not specials) it is less expensive per kilo to feed the Nutrience. :)

Grace - once you have your girl, pop back with the feeding guide from the breeder and I'm sure there will be a lot of support and suggestions for you.

Sags

I wouldnt skimp on a giant breeds nutrition

Royal Canin

Eagle Pack

Nutrience

Nutro

wouldnt touch hills with a 10 foot pole, way too full of fillers and it's expensive

Grace shop around for Royal Canin, some people can do better prices. I use it for 3 dogs (so about 15kg of food a fortnight) so you shouldnt be going through that much. Dont follow the packet! For some reason RC way overestimates how much a dog will need :)

if you would like to come into the saint forum there are some breeders and people with experience of saints who would be more than happy to help you but it is very important that you do feed you saint a what your breeder recomends, and a good quality dog food unfortuniatley most come witha price tag and this is part of having a giant breed dog. i pay $115.00 a fortnight on biscuets then there is fresh meat and other treats as well so it can be a little costly.

Hi Grace,

If are buying from a reputable breeder you should be supplied with a puppy info pack which will provide you with all dietary requirements relevant to the different growth stages. Most reputable breeders will also give their puppy buyers a take home kit to start them off.

I agree with all here that you should not skimp on food for a giant breed whilst growing.

Their muscles are stretched to capacity as their bones grow and they need the premium foods to assist with their development at this vital stage of their lives.

This is also a serious issue that needs much thought prior to obtaining a giant breed, as everything is dearer.

Meds for Heart Worm, Drontal, Frontline and basically all vets bills for general antibiotics are giant sized, a regular course of antibiotics will be around a hundred dollars for a Saint.

Food bills are at the max whilst a Saint is growing but when they reach adult sized it balances out.

If you allow $100 a week you should be pretty ok to cover all.

And if you can't afford the associated costs then work this out now prior to committing your care to a Saint as far too many of them end up in rescue situations when their owners can no longer afford to keep them.

I pesonally have know of Saints that needed surgery and their owners could not afford the vets bills so had them put to sleep, I have rescued myself ones that were starving and literally bags of bones as their owners could no longer afford to feed them their required amounts.

Also, along with owning a giant breed, comes the heartaches associated with any giant breed, hip dysplasia, elbow displaysia, epilepsy, bone cancer and heart disease, just to name a few associated probs.

Most good ethical and reputable breeders will sell their puppies with a written health guarantee in the event that if something goes wrong they will offer you some form of compensation and support but there are also many shonky ones out there who mate a dog to a bitch and basically haven't got a clue what they are doing.

I hope that you have researched the breed and breeders thoroughly prior to your purchase and that your baby is from a reputable breeder who will stand by you if things go wrong.

And if that is the case, allow yourself to be advised by your breeder and then you know in your own heart and mind that you have done all the correct way as requested by him or her.

If you change recommended dietary needs yourself, then breeders will NOT stand by you if things go worng and you have nothing to fall back on if cases of HD or any other nasties that may occur.

for a cheaper option Hills Science Diet

Going off the pricing on those links (the quoted RRP, not specials) it is less expensive per kilo to feed the Nutrience. :)

Grace - once you have your girl, pop back with the feeding guide from the breeder and I'm sure there will be a lot of support and suggestions for you.

Sags

Thanks for that!! Was getting late in the night and my head had obviously shut up shop in the maths department!! :(

Hi I feed my saint on Pro Plan Performance. We were using Royal Canin but did find it hard to get here in sydney. We have been using it for over 2 years now and I think its fantastic. A breeder bag 22.5kg (in syd) $130.00. That lasts me a month for 1 dog. I do also give meat and veges aswell.

I kept my boy on RC until he was 12 months then switiched to Pro Plan.

Every dog is different so what works for others might not work for your girl. Ask your breeder for more info.

Good luck with your girl.