How Tell If There's Something In An Ear

moosepup

I just got back from taking the dogs for a walk and a couple of minutes before home Moose started scratching his ear and holding it off to an angle. At the moment he's still scratching it every 30 seconds or so and holding it funny but otherwise acting normal. I had a look but can't see anything in there or any bites. Should I just leave it and see how it goes overnight? Or start prodding? lol

No do not go prodding into a dog's ear ever, they are not shaped the same as ours and you may injure them. Try shining a torch into it to get a better look. If he keeps shaking, I'd see the vet. Ears are sensitive spots on a dog, and you don't want to lose a grass seed or similar down there.

I wasn't being serious about the prodding. :o Good idea about the torch, I'll try that. I'd prefer not to take him to the vet tonight as it costs $120 just for a consult and I might just be a worry wart. If it worsens I will though definitely. He's acting like a nut (ie. normal) because it's nearing dinner time so he doesn't seem too bothered right now. Will take him in the morning if it's still irritated.

ETA - Had a look with the torch and can't see anything, it's nice and white in there, not irritated. :offtopic:

Edited by moosepup