Catahoula Leopard Dog

sandgrubber

I was looking through pound listings to see what dogs jump fences in different places and came across a breed called the Catahoula Leopard Dog -- apparently descended from Native American dogs. Looks like an interesting breed from the Wikipedia description. Has anyone ever seen one? (I grew up in the US and I haven't).

I saw a few on the ranches in Mexico when I was visiting a few years back. They are quite popular, there. So are Australian Cattle Dogs, actually. I think of the two as kindred spirits. :(

It's hard to say what they're like from that, though. Ranch dogs always have heaps to do. I think they were used mostly as cattle dogs over there, although it looked like there were plenty in the kennels of hunting dogs as well. They are a bit of a multi-purpose dog. I like 'em. :laugh:

Certainly none that I met in Mexico were, but they were running in quite large packs with lots of other dogs and dog aggressive dogs didn't exist as far as I could see. There was a guy on one of the ranches I stayed at that took in every stray dog that turned up. There were easily 30 dogs at that place.

I was looking through pound listings to see what dogs jump fences in different places and came across a breed called the Catahoula Leopard Dog -- apparently descended from Native American dogs. Looks like an interesting breed from the Wikipedia description. Has anyone ever seen one? (I grew up in the US and I haven't).

I've seen one in the flesh here in WA several years ago, I was selling something and during the phone conversation we got on to dogs and he mentioned having a Catahoula and was hoping to find another to breed to somewhere in Australia. I had read about this breed so asked him if he would mind bringing the dog with him so I could check it out. I don't think they are recognised by the AKC but I think he used it for pig hunting or was wanting to breed for that. I know he brought this one from another state and I have seen an occassional add for them in Australia. Not a breed that appeals to me but I did enjoy meeting one.