When Is 2 Hours Not 2 Hours?

Shakti

Last night our rather *unusual* neighbour came over to complain that one of our dogs had barked for two hours the night before!! Although I was surprised that I hadn't hear him as I had been home all that night, naturally I felt terrible and apologised profusely. I did feel awful as I know how infuriating it can be listening to a dog bark for so long and so I promised it wouldn't happen again......

THEN she went on to explain that *The worst part was he didnt bark nonstop because then we could have just got used to it but instead he would bark once or twice and then be quiet for a while and then do it again so our nerves were totally frayed just waiting for the next bark. One time he barked and then didn't bark again for almost 50 minutes and that went on for the whole two hours...long pauses and then a loud bark!*

ummmm ok...... :) so my dog barked once or twice about 5 times over two hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????

I apologised again and I DO feel badly but that is NOT what I would describe as barking for two hours!

and mine ... she bailed my up at the weekend market the other weekend ... oh your dog barked weeks ago

ok we went through this 1) I wasnt home 2) neither was my partner 3) you know she barks like that if someone is in the front yard did you go check in case someone was trying to break in ...

no

then she began how when her [insanely loud, screaming and nerve tearing] grandchildren stayed over some dog barked aaaaaall night and her son was upset.

then I explain how there is 3 dogs in the houses behind me, 5 next door and mine are lying on my bedroom floor at night.

meanwhile she continues whinging.

would it be so horrible if I just told an old italian lady to STFU and where to go at about 90 decibels ... or would that just cross some line *sigh*

Edited by Nekhbet

Thanks all of you - not feeling quite so alone now! LOL

I think the other thing that annoys me is because I take my dogs for a one hour walk in the morning and again at night we are sort of high-profile in our area and everyone calls me *the dog lady* which leads to every single bark or pooh on the road being attributed to my dogs! :) Whereas the people who keep their dogs out of mind, out of sight locked in their yards all day never cop any flak even though their dogs are so unmannered and ill-behaved!!!

Nekhbet - an old Italian woman probably has a bunch of not-so-old relatives who would probably not appreciate ANY line-crossing so save it all up till you get home, lock the door asnd shout and scream until you are hoarse - gets all the rage out - with very little fear of retribution

Nekhbet - an old Italian woman probably has a bunch of not-so-old relatives who would probably not appreciate ANY line-crossing so save it all up till you get home, lock the door asnd shout and scream until you are hoarse - gets all the rage out - with very little fear of retribution

nah I've met (and lived through the 20 photo albums) of her limp wristed relatives. I think the only reason she hasnt kicked up a bigger fuss is because I'm Serb, OHs Russian and we're both tattood ... ooh to just pop a hose over the fence

Ooohh! Naughty you. Fancy having a dog that has a voice and then dares to use it occassionally, Shame, shame, shame!!!

Whatever does your neighbour expect, even council rangers would laugh at this one especially as the person sounds like they would have prefered the dog to bark non stop. You did well to keep a straight face while she was talking to you, I think I would have burst out laughing at her comment.

Maybe she would like to swap houses, that way she can see what its like to have dogs barking constantly for 2 plus hours. If one stops its because the other started and it goes on until the owners come home.

Maybe it isnt your dog that she is hearing and if she is so certain because she is outside checking tell her if she wasnt trying to catch the dog barking it may not bark at her.

Edited by irl

I have a problem barker but I am soooo thankful that over my back fence is another barker, to the left is an almost constant barker and over the road are two more barkers and two doors down is a highly aggressive barker... So it just seems that my neighbours are either owners of barking dogs or have gotten over it! Right now the cavalier next door is barking away but seriously, I'd never complain because I know my dogs bark too! Come move to my street people, our dogs can bark together!

That's odd ... sounds like they'd have had an issue even if he barked once, waaaaaaiting for the next bark!

My neighbours are the complete opposite. When we moved here from an apartment I explained a stern "quiet Timmy" would stop him yapping and to feel free to yell it over the fence .... Well turns out Timmy rarely barks, thank goodness, and when I asked my elderly neighbour he jovially said "oh the little nipper goes off at the odd bird here or there, I think it's a wonderful sound! Such spunk!". :hug: