2 On 2 Off

Do you have a release word or is it just as soon as mum moves spice moves...

With Denver I shaped his 2o2o and basically as we progessed his reward was that he wouldn't get to do the next piece of equipment until he gave me that 2o2o.. so I worked on it on its own until he was able to hold it and wait for our release word.. So within teaching the A-frame on its own i used YES as our word simply because I'd throw his fav toy and yell Yes at him so now its our release and I will say to YES *tunnel*

I then added a single jump in off to the side so it wasn't taunting him and kept going and I would use yes and keep going towards the jump... we then built this 2o2o up by slowly shifting the jump around so he got used to it being in different places and the word YES is used to release him to the next...

Not sure if this is helpful but I have found after working jock a smaller dog changing to a border collie with that much speed was insane and that a consistent 2o2o is needed.. but within the we need to establish when it is okay to get out of that.. I'm really trying to keep his work consistent and in some cases he will stop with all four feet just off the contact and I will make him back up until our 2o2o is held... unless I am opting for a running for some unknown reason lol!

Good Luck!

Its just about slowly increasing the distraction level - will spice hold her 2o/2o while you place a ball on the ground, will she hold position while you bounce the ball, roll it past her, can you throw food and have her hold position. Then go back to introducing other equipment around her.

Build up to having her hold position while you sprint past her etc.

I wouldn't even bother with the 2o/2o necessarily at this point as in effect what you want is the dog to stay in position regardless of the distraction. So what I did was proof a sit/drop/stand stay with all sorts of distractions and then build these into our plank work. It means they aren't getting the opportunity to rehearse breaking from a 2o/2o position quite as much because they are already use to being proofed to stay with distractions. Will Spice stay while you let the other dogs off lead at a park, will Spice stay while you put her food bowl on the table. The more questions you can ask the dog the more solid the behavior will be.

Edited by ness

I would just break it down more for her. The fact that she's keen to go to the jumps is a great thing and something you don't want to lose.

Lots of contact behaviours fall apart at this point in training. By being too harsh in insisting on the stay is what typically starts that slow creeping behaviour that we see in so many dogs coming to their 2o2o. However not being consistent in expecting the stay is what makes it optional for so many dogs. It really is a tough point in training.

I'm not a fan of clicking for a stationary position on a contact. It can be confusing for the dog as you then have to swap from a click to a release word. If you are still clicking for position, I would definitely stop that now.

Can you ask someone at training to help you? Maybe Prue? It is so hard to explain the next steps in words, heaps easier to demonstrate in person.