Ankc Mandatory Rules For Breeders

Are there any rules which are mandatory, or are they just optional guidelines ?

In the case that a breeder can be struck off, do they need to be provided with evidence, and what is the nature of the evidence, for example, do they require that the person has been convicted of cruelty ?

Firstly, the ANKC per se does not have the power to suspend anybody. All suspensions are domestic matters handled by the individual State controlling bodies.

A complaint against a breeder would need to be directed to that body, whereupon under normal circumstances the individual would be called to a disciplinary hearing and decisions made based upon the findings there. Not having been party to such a thing myself, I am under the impression that evidence is able to be tabled by both parties and the breeder is given opportunity to present their own information and defend themselves. If a suspension is issued, then it is a reciprocal agreement by all ANKC affiliated bodies.

In the case of a cruelty charge, they would require evidence from a court of law that a conviction has been made against the individual.

So when you say the state body tables its evidence, is this evidence that they gathered themselves (do they investigate allegations) or evidence which has been handed to them from another source, ie, the person or organization who brought the breeder into question in the first place.

So the answer is yes there are mandatory rules ? What are they, link ?

If you want to pay the prescribed penalty units (vary from State to State) and make an allegation about somebody, then the CC will investigate it.

To the best of my knowledge, they will require evidence of some kind from SOMEWHERE to support the allegation. Most of the CCs used to have at least one legal-type person or a police officer on their disciplinary committees to ensure that it is run fairly but I don't know if that is still the case.

Each State is different, but all have their own regulatory powers. ANYTHING on the ANKC website is really not much more than a guideline because the individual States maintain their own membership and registration registries and have complete control over them.

As SBT123 said, you would need to contact the particular CC for their rules and regulations and information about disciplinary proceedings.

NSW. Ok, i'll look it up myself in that case. Just interested in the distinction between optional or "recomended" ethics, and mandatory ones, aswell as the process involved and them revoking registration.

A breeder I know was recently telling me that Dogs NSW is "cracking down" on problem breeders but I did not get a chance to ask her to elaborate.

Because you have to pay to report somebody under most circumstances. They say this is an effort to deter people from making frivolous complaints and to pay for the time it takes to prepare the cases for the disciplinary committee.

I have NO idea why anybody should have to pay, and maybe things have changed, but that is always how it used to be. Some places charged $50 for a complaint, at one stage some charged up to $200. Hopefully things aren't like that any more but I wouldn't be at all surprised about anything any more.

NSW. Ok, i'll look it up myself in that case. Just interested in the distinction between optional or "recomended" ethics, and mandatory ones, aswell as the process involved and them revoking registration.

A breeder I know was recently telling me that Dogs NSW is "cracking down" on problem breeders but I did not get a chance to ask her to elaborate.

Every code or rule is mandatory. None say "I will not breed with a bitch before she is 12 months of age...unless I really want to" :cry:

And there is no definite list of breaching what will cause immediate suspension and what will cause a slap on the wrist. It's up to the state body to decide the punishment in each case.

small price to pay for the smiting if they have been bad :cry:

The person being complained about doesn't pay the fee though.....the person making the complaint pays the fee.

Yep thats what I meant if someone was bad and I thought it warranted complaining (it would have to be pretty bad though), I would happily pay the fee. But I have been told that I am bloody minded so I maybe not the right person to give an opinion if its a good or bad thing :)

Edited by JRM75

Sounds like they don't want complaints. I would have thought the idea is to get rid of the people reflecting badly on the organization and on ethical breeders, not protect them. Having said that obviously there is going to be a problem with frivolous or false accusations but all organizations have that problem.

Thanks for the link.

Every code or rule is mandatory.

And there is no definite list of breaching what will cause immediate suspension and what will cause a slap on the wrist. It's up to the state body to decide the punishment in each case.

I didn't know that. So in a sense (in theory) they are quite strict.

If there is something to act on I can't see a CC ignore it.

I think the burden to at least commence the case lies with the person putting in the complaint to provide a decent amount of evidence, but the CC's can go from there. Look at any previous complaints/issues, doing their own checks through the database etc.