Home Made Anti-chew Formula

Lola09

Hi

I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a simple formula to make at home to stop Puppy chewing things such as the skirting board and shutters!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Rachel

Sorry no homemade remedies, but in case it's useful as an ingredient, we used Dencorub - but our puppy actually got a taste for it after a while, so we went onto tobasco sauce. Obviously not in amounts that would hurt a puppy's throat, just enough to be unpleasent.

lola09- maybe put pup somewhere without access to shutters, etc when you cannot supervise?

:( Some things applied to wood/painted surfaces may stain or damage your home!

What else does pup have to chew on which may be yummier than shutters?

lola09- maybe put pup somewhere without access to shutters, etc when you cannot supervise?

:thumbsup: Some things applied to wood/painted surfaces may stain or damage your home!

What else does pup have to chew on which may be yummier than shutters?

Hi Persephone,

Thanks for your suggestion.

She's really pretty good in comparison to what she could be getting up to. And it's not that she's unsupervised, sometimes the temptation is just too good sitting there in front of her nose (and usually noticed pretty quickly by me)! She definitely has enough toys. I'm just really after something as a preventative measure. That's a good point that some things will not be good for surfaces - will definitely keep that in mind.

The main point ,that I can think of, is that YOU, or her toys, need to be MORE interesting than the walls, etc.

Do you rotate her toys? Often, we buy toys which look good to US- but do not satisfy a pup's needs... I have quite a few toys lying around which never get used..and the same tatty old things which are always being carried!!

Does she have bones on which to chew? I am sure a bone would win over a skirting board !

With toys- does she have treat balls/cubes?

These can have her kibble in, and as she rolls them around, she is 'working', and getting food rewards..... and occupying her brain ,PLUS filling her tummy, should make her relaxed and not looking for wood to chew :thumbsup:

Give her her meals in stuffed kongs. If the weather is still warm you can freeze them. If she's a large breed, I put a chicken wing into a kong. I break off the tip & force the other 2 bones, joint 1st into the kong. Lasts longer than kibble. If she's getting into mischief outside, instead of feeding her kibble in a bowl scatter it all over the yard, takes longer to eat & gives her something to do.