Is It Possible To "break" An Ear?

FD26

I've just noticed that my 9 week old staffy Joker's ear looks a bit wonky. Upon closer inspection there's a crease fairly close to the tip that looks like some sort of "break" or injury. I'm sure it wasn't like this just a few days ago, and it's not causing a droopy ear, but a sort of wave in it.

He's a very accident-prone puppy and I wouldn't be highly surprised if he's done something to himself, but I've never heard of breaking an ear before. He'll be looked at by the vet soon, but until then does anyone have any clue if it could be broken or...?

Oh...I just thought I would add that it doesn't seem to be causing him any kind of pain.

Edited by FD26

I've just noticed that my 9 week old staffy Joker's ear looks a bit wonky. Upon closer inspection there's a crease fairly close to the tip that looks like some sort of "break" or injury. I'm sure it wasn't like this just a few days ago, and it's not causing a droopy ear, but a sort of wave in it.

He's a very accident-prone puppy and I wouldn't be highly surprised if he's done something to himself, but I've never heard of breaking an ear before. He'll be looked at by the vet soon, but until then does anyone have any clue if it could be broken or...?

Oh...I just thought I would add that it doesn't seem to be causing him any kind of pain.

Puppy ears do some really funny things, especially when they're teething.

What breed and have you got a pic?

Puppies ears do the most bizare things, I wouldn't be too concerned.

If your pup was a show pup you would probably be taping the ears during teething if that was relevant to your breed.

Edited by sas

Thanks guys, you've pup (haha, funny slip...put, rather) my mind at east a bit. I'll still be bringing it up with the vet, but might not worry quite so much for now!

The original plan was to show this guy, but I'm not so sure now as I don't have much spare time with working and my studies, so I'll wait til the end of the semester and re-assess whether that's something I want to do. I'm really not sure if this would be the best pup to start with though now, as he's very high-energy and accident prone lol.

Edited by FD26

If one is beginning to drop and you don't like the look, then you need to be taping and gluing NOW.

If you are not fussed about it correcting itself and can live with the one up, one down look, then leave it.

ETA: there's no point in wasting time discussing ears with a vet ( unless your vet breeds and exhibits dogs ) they would have no idea what to do or why you would want to do it.

If you are thinking that you might like to show in the future, the glue or tape now. You may find that a couple of weeks of support is enough or you may need to continue on for a while longer or tape/glue again for a while around the 4-5 months mark.

I forgot to add the same applies for ears that are going to fly, they can be very hard to tame if you don;t get onto those early

Edited by SBT123