Do You Have A Dog With Food Allergies?

I have a 20 month old cavalier that has just been diagnosed with Eosinophilic ulcerative stomatitis. Basically she has a severe allergy to some food/s which we are not yet sure of. Three weeks ago she suffered from severe vomiting and diarrohea and when we took her to the vet they discovered she had ulcers in her mouth. Initially the vet thought she had eaten something poisonous as the ulcers were quite severe. Over the last few weeks she has been on all sorts of medications to treat the ulcers and has had different tests to try to find out what caused/is causing them. The biopsy results came back yesterday with the diagnosis.

So Ruby has been put on an elimination diet and is only allowed to eat chicken, rice and potatoes for the next 7 weeks. After that we will be able to slowly introduce other foods to see what she is allergic to. She has already been on the restricted diet for 3 weeks.

Does anyone elses dog have a food allergy and what are they allergic to? How long did it take for you to go through the elimination process? What are you able to feed them?

Our vet has also given us a small sample of the Hills Prescription diet Z/D wet and dry food to give in conjuction with the other food we are giving her. This is just to see if she likes it first as she'll most likely be on something similiar long term. The vet has also said we might be able to use the Royal Canin brand allergy food as she was being fed royal canin previous to falling sick and she'd be more used to this brand.

I do know that she does react quite badly to pigs ears and she has always sratched like crazy after eating one. So she may have an allergy to pork or maybe the colours of flavourings in them. That's all we can guess so far. I guess now it's just a process of trial and elimination.

I'd love to hear from others who have dogs with allergies also.

Edited by ~Aimee~

My dog reacts to some foods, I can't tell you whether they are food intolerances or actuall allergic reactions to the food.

My dog is a general allergic dog, allergic to too many things to list and these types of dogs tend to develop more allergies/intollerances as time goes on.

My boy is 3 and after being on a Salmon diet for a year, I just switched him to the Vets all natural diet, 3 weeks in and I ran out and gave him some salmon and he had a mighty reaction to it....skin eruptions, really upset tummy and lots of chewing and itching - mind you this was Salmon out of a can so he could have been reacting to a preservative.

Yep - my sheltie is allergic to both chicken & turkey. We are working our way slowly through different meats...and have so far been successful with rabbit & lamb.

I'm lucky in a sense that I have fed prey model style in the past few years - so that makes it much easier to work out what he reacts to.

At the moment he eats whole rabbits, lamb hearts, lamb bones etc. I will probably trial roo next.

Chicken & beef are the most common food allergies in dogs.

Good luck! Elimination diets are a lengthy process but well worth it when you start to see your dog healthier and happier.

My 6 year old Irish Wolfhound is intolerant of chicken, beef & turkey. He suffered from chronic gastro and anal gland problems due to the runs. He has been on Hills z/d Prescription diet for 14 months and has never looked better. It is expensive, especially for an 82 kg dog, but worth every penny. No gastro, perfect anal glands and no visits to the vet for any illnesses since I changed over. And he's a HAPPY dog now with lots of energy and life.

My Cavalier doesn't tolerate chicken,turkey and rice. She is fed lamb barf patties and extra veges and does well on this. She also has white fish and potato occasionally as a treat :laugh:

If she does have any dry, it is a good quality lamb based one.