Should I Get Them Together Again

RoseRed

My cav female has had three "dates" with the stud.

The first was on day 9 of her cycle and he showed very little interest.

The second was on day 11 and he showed a lot more interest, tried mounting her several times and humping, but no penetration.

The third was on day 13 and we had a tie for about 15-20 minutes.

Do you think this should be enough or should I maybe try for another session on day 14?

My cav female has had three "dates" with the stud.

The first was on day 9 of her cycle and he showed very little interest.

The second was on day 11 and he showed a lot more interest, tried mounting her several times and humping, but no penetration.

The third was on day 13 and we had a tie for about 15-20 minutes.

Do you think this should be enough or should I maybe try for another session on day 14?

Sounds to me like she wasn't ready on days 9-11.

You should keep the male around and test her acceptance of him daily when it gets to this stage of the heat cycle. When she is ready, she should actually tease him and back up to him. You will see her tail move up and to one side which is a good sign she is ready.

It only takes the one try to conceive. 15-20minute tie is a good effort. So if it isn't meant to be then be glad you got the one tie.

My maiden cavalier girl only accepted our selected stud once and afterwards she wouldn't have a bar of him. We are looking forward to puppies in April.

Depends on your relationship to the stud owner.

Another try can do no harm. It isn't likely to do a lot of good, as a natural mating even three or four days before the peak should, in theory, do the job. Practice and theory sometimes diverge. I like to stay on good terms with stud owners, and often do a prog test at day 9 or 10 . .. if she comes out high then I book ASAP. If she's low I give it a couple days before the first mating. Modify based on prior information if the bitch tends to be early or late.