Barf V Vet's All Natural

Hi Mas,

I have just re-read the thread and notice your post:

I made a mistake last week and took my dog to the vet for allergies ( something I swore I would never do, wanted to treat them holistically) got put on cortisone and anti-histamines and told to feed Hills ZD, oh and my dog got a antibiotic injection. My dog has changed so much in one week it is incredible, I want to stop everything besides the anti-histamine ( I know I have to do the cortisone slowly) and i want to change to a raw diet. He has no personality, is very depressed, he acts like he is starving and on top of all this his paws are still red.

Haha....I take cortisone for my autoimmune illness. It is a fact that it can make you terribly depressed (I know a lot of people on cortisone also take anti-depressants) and VERY hungry ("eat the horse and chase the jockey" hungry) especially in the initial stages. I wouldn't be surprised that he is feeling pretty horrible. Poor fella! Also, be aware that if we take antibiotics it is important to follow up with a good quality probiotic to put the good bacteria back into the gut (as a/biotics clear everything out - good/bad). My mainstream local vet, after insisting my dog have antiobiotics, gave me some probiotics specifically for dogs when I askedher about it, with the comment "oh yes, perhaps we should follow up with some of these". It is a well known fact that this follow up needs to be done after antibiotics but very few drs (and vets) seem to follow through with it and then wonder why people/dogs keep getting re-occuring infections!!

I really hope your boy starts to improve - either with mainstream medicine (which does have its place) or complimentary.

Take care

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my results back for my dogs hair analysis compatibility testing and I can say that I am happy with the results. Things to avoid for him are cotton, tennis balls, grass, most cleaning products, most washing detergents, brewers yeast, beans, petrol ?? and one or 2 other things. I knew he was allergic to grass he itches and scratches at parks and when he has been lying on the grass here at home, lucky we do have a lot of paving...