Chia Seed

Hi

Was wondering if anyone out there feeds Chia seed to their dog and if so how much? Have been taking it myself as it seems to be the "new wonder seed' so was hoping it could be given to my Goldie. It seems to be better than Flax seed as there appears to be no known allergic reactions to it. It is high in Omega 3 and 6.

Thanks

Myboyjosh

Yes, have been for a while now and love it. Got onto it in my recovery from CFS and then decided to give it to the dogs as well. I add it to the super powder I make up for them and they would get around 1 tablespoon a day I guess. They will actually eat it out of the jar if you let them :).

Yes, have been for a while now and love it. Got onto it in my recovery from CFS and then decided to give it to the dogs as well. I add it to the super powder I make up for them and they would get around 1 tablespoon a day I guess. They will actually eat it out of the jar if you let them :).

Thanks Bisart Dobes

Have you noticed any difference in their coat etc since they have been having it and "super powder" what is that lol?

I didn't really notice a difference in the younger ones as I keep them in top condition but our older boys (10yr) coat has improved. I found in actually seems to increase their weight substancially - or perhaps as it works on the digestive system they are absorbing more from their food.

My super powder :o - is my own base supplement mix. I studied nutrition and natropathy and have been making this up for years now - I have tried a few of the ones for sale but have found that this is better for our dogs - one day I will get around to marketing it but for now just our kids get it. I am playing around with seasonal differences - ie they need different things during summer / winter and different additions for the changes they go through - ie going to be bred, high competition period coming up, travelling interstate etc etc - its interesting to see the differences some things make (to me anyway).

Good luck with the Chia Seed.

I didn't really notice a difference in the younger ones as I keep them in top condition but our older boys (10yr) coat has improved. I found in actually seems to increase their weight substancially - or perhaps as it works on the digestive system they are absorbing more from their food.

My super powder :banghead: - is my own base supplement mix. I studied nutrition and natropathy and have been making this up for years now - I have tried a few of the ones for sale but have found that this is better for our dogs - one day I will get around to marketing it but for now just our kids get it. I am playing around with seasonal differences - ie they need different things during summer / winter and different additions for the changes they go through - ie going to be bred, high competition period coming up, travelling interstate etc etc - its interesting to see the differences some things make (to me anyway).

Thanks again Bisart Dobes. Just one more question do you feed the Chia Seed dry or do you soak it first?

• 2 months later...

My question too! Have you been feeding Chia seeds myboyjosh? Do you soak them?

My super powder :thumbsup: - is my own base supplement mix. I studied nutrition and natropathy and have been making this up for years now - I have tried a few of the ones for sale but have found that this is better for our dogs - one day I will get around to marketing it but for now just our kids get it. I am playing around with seasonal differences - ie they need different things during summer / winter and different additions for the changes they go through - ie going to be bred, high competition period coming up, travelling interstate etc etc - its interesting to see the differences some things make (to me anyway).

Thanks again Bisart Dobes. Just one more question do you feed the Chia Seed dry or do you soak it first?

My question too! Have you been feeding Chia seeds myboyjosh? Do you soak them?

Hi Bedazzledx2

Yes I have been feeding chia to my dogs and yes I do soak it. I go 1 part chia to 8 parts water and let the chia seed absorb the water and then give them a tablespoon each in their evening meal. For some reason my goldie's appetite has increased heaps since being on chia and for the first time he has started to put on weight. His coat is great and it seems to have helped with his skin.

I tried to find some info on it but couldn't seem to find any with regard to how much and how to feed it to dogs. But they do say for humans to get the most out of chia you soak it first.

Hope this helps you bedazzledx2. :thumbsup:

I feed them to my kids dogs too - inconsistencies in the way I do it - just sprinkling them on the top of their food.

I don't give them to Beans anymore as when I started her skin flared.

Hi Ptolomy

How much do you sprinkle on top of their food? I am open to any suggestions with regard to feeding as I am still unsure which is the best way.

I feed them to my kids dogs too - inconsistencies in the way I do it - just sprinkling them on the top of their food.

I don't give them to Beans anymore as when I started her skin flared.

Hi Ptolomy

How much do you sprinkle on top of their food? I am open to any suggestions with regard to feeding as I am still unsure which is the best way.

I would be guessing and saying 1/2 - 3/4 of a tea-spoon - nothing is measured.

This might help?

The web site Chiaforhealth.com recommends giving chia seed or chia oil to the family pet for their health as well! For the health of cats and/or small dogs (under 25 pounds), SOAK 1/4 teaspoon a day and mix it with their food. For larger dogs soak 1 teaspoon per day and add to food. For big dogs soak 1 teaspoon twice daily and add to food.

* CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH ... Soaking makes chia seeds easier for the body to digest and release the high levels of good-for-you nutrients. If you are using seeds dry, BE CAREFUL of the quantity you sprinkle on food without soaking. Chia seeds absorb 10 times their volume in water, both outside and inside the body. When using dry chia seeds, it is recommended to use only a teaspoon at a time and make sure you (or your children and/or animals) are well hydrated.

Edited by sas

This might help?

The web site Chiaforhealth.com recommends giving chia seed or chia oil to the family pet for their health as well! For the health of cats and/or small dogs (under 25 pounds), SOAK 1/4 teaspoon a day and mix it with their food. For larger dogs soak 1 teaspoon per day and add to food. For big dogs soak 1 teaspoon twice daily and add to food.

* CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH ... Soaking makes chia seeds easier for the body to digest and release the high levels of good-for-you nutrients. If you are using seeds dry, BE CAREFUL of the quantity you sprinkle on food without soaking. Chia seeds absorb 10 times their volume in water, both outside and inside the body. When using dry chia seeds, it is recommended to use only a teaspoon at a time and make sure you (or your children and/or animals) are well hydrated.

Thank you sas for the info now I know how much to feed my dogs. Soaking seems to be the way to go as it does absorb so much water. My 2 dogs just love their "jelly" on top of their food.