Recall At The Beach/park

I have been having a problem getting my 11 month old lab to recall when we are at the park, he will only return to me when he has greeted whatever dog has come into his field of vision.,sometimes ie when I can see the other dog is not friendly, I want him to turn around and come back to me BEFORE he reaches the other dog to say hello. Any advise or tips? I always take food with to the park and I treat him when he returns to me when i call.

I have been having a problem getting my 11 month old lab to recall when we are at the park, he will only return to me when he has greeted whatever dog has come into his field of vision.,sometimes ie when I can see the other dog is not friendly, I want him to turn around and come back to me BEFORE he reaches the other dog to say hello. Any advise or tips? I always take food with to the park and I treat him when he returns to me when i call.

I would not be letting your lab off lead if he doesn't have a reliable recall. In effect he is practising the bad behaviour. Keep him on a long line and go back to basics and teach him the recall from the beginning.

Here are a couple of very good articles - Really Reliable Recall and The First Steps to Teaching a Reliable Recall

I would not be letting your lab off lead if he doesn't have a reliable recall. In effect he is practising the bad behaviour. Keep him on a long line and go back to basics and teach him the recall from the beginning.

Here are a couple of very good articles - Really Reliable Recall and The First Steps to Teaching a Reliable Recall

I did used to keep him on a long lead while we were at the park but many people have a problem with that and tell me my dog will get attacked if I do so? He behaves 100% while on the lead and recalls every time, so how would I go about teaching him off the lead as I feel that he needs training off lead if he already recalls on lead.

I did used to keep him on a long lead while we were at the park but many people have a problem with that and tell me my dog will get attacked if I do so? He behaves 100% while on the lead and recalls every time, so how would I go about teaching him off the lead as I feel that he needs training off lead if he already recalls on lead.

Keeping Mason on a long line at the park will NOT cause Mason to get attacked :) A short tight lead possibly would because you are altering his body language.

Here's another good retraining the Recall article. To teach him off lead recalls there is no quick fix, it won't happen overnight, you need to go back to basics and build up as I mentioned previously.

Sooty doesn't have 100% recall rate but she certainly has improved and we practiced using a long line.

There are *some* dogs that have a problem with another dog being leashed but I would work at practising being in close proximity to other dogs rather than actually being so close to touch - that way you are working on focus and recall before he's even had a chance to run. Really watch his body language as well, I was missing vital signs that she was about to bolt until I started watching her more intently and I could redirect the focus to me.

Also have the DVD Really reliable recall that you can borrow if you want but it's pretty similar to what is written in the articles

I have just received my copy of Training The Whistle Recall from Clean Run as they had Free Shipping on it http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...p;ParentCat=438

I only started the ground work about 4 days ago and was able to use the whistle to recall my 2 gsd's from up the back fence fence fighting with another dog even though she suggests doing 2 weeks groundwork before trying it under distraction so i was pretty happy.A whistle might be worthwhile thinking about.I do have a silent dog whistle as well but the dvd suggests a pealess whistle instead so I've been using it instead

Edited by 4 Paws

Sooty doesn't have 100% recall rate but she certainly has improved and we practiced using a long line.

There are *some* dogs that have a problem with another dog being leashed but I would work at practising being in close proximity to other dogs rather than actually being so close to touch - that way you are working on focus and recall before he's even had a chance to run. Really watch his body language as well, I was missing vital signs that she was about to bolt until I started watching her more intently and I could redirect the focus to me.

Also have the DVD Really reliable recall that you can borrow if you want but it's pretty similar to what is written in the articles

I think I also miss the signs that he is getting ready to run off, he has much better eyesight and smell than I do so he notices new dogs at the park etc really quickly. I should actually practice on the long lead before class on a sunday as that is really distracting, if he will come then he should come at a busy park!

I always use high quality treats when off lead somewhere. I let her know I've got b'cue chicken when we get there, and I use a silent whistle. I would say I have a near 100% success with this, rather than when I am calling from the other side of the oval. The whistle sounds exactly the same everytime, so she knows full well what it means. The only time I tend to have issues is when she's found something horrid to eat that someone has left at the park. Then I have to do the bolt towards her, and it makes my blood boil.... luckily that is rare though.

I have just received my copy of Training The Whistle Recall from Clean Run as they had Free Shipping on it http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...p;ParentCat=438

I only started the ground work about 4 days ago and was able to use the whistle to recall my 2 gsd's from up the back fence fence fighting with another dog even though she suggests doing 2 weeks groundwork before trying it under distraction so i was pretty happy.A whistle might be worthwhile thinking about.I do have a silent dog whistle as well but the dvd suggests a pealess whistle instead so I've been using it instead

Thank you I will have a look at this!

I always use high quality treats when off lead somewhere. I let her know I've got b'cue chicken when we get there, and I use a silent whistle. I would say I have a near 100% success with this, rather than when I am calling from the other side of the oval. The whistle sounds exactly the same everytime, so she knows full well what it means. The only time I tend to have issues is when she's found something horrid to eat that someone has left at the park. Then I have to do the bolt towards her, and it makes my blood boil.... luckily that is rare though.

I take BBq sausage or cheese, something that he really loves, other dogs at this stage are much more interesting!

Thank you I will have a look at this!

here's a youtube of a short section of the dvd

the dvd is also now available in Aust as well

Edited by 4 Paws

Just a cautionary note, long lines at the dog park do come with a few potential dangers. I've had dogs try to tie people up with them, and I've had dogs pick up the trailing end of the long line and run off with it. Not cool if you have a 5 month old puppy on the other end! They are a great tool and I wouldn't be without them in those early stages (and adolescent stages, sometimes), but it pays to keep a sharp eye on them.

Just a cautionary note, long lines at the dog park do come with a few potential dangers. I've had dogs try to tie people up with them, and I've had dogs pick up the trailing end of the long line and run off with it. Not cool if you have a 5 month old puppy on the other end! They are a great tool and I wouldn't be without them in those early stages (and adolescent stages, sometimes), but it pays to keep a sharp eye on them.

Good point, I wouldnt let the lead go and I will keep a sharp eye on it when I use it.

Just a point re rewards - the idea is not to find a reward that will "compete" with whatever is out there (although a good reward will certainly tip the scales in your favour), but to condition a strong recall using the laws of learning. All the resources mentioned will show you ways to do that.

I tend to be opportunistic. If the dog is safe, not really likely to run off anywhere and good with other dogs, I will just wait for the right moment to call or otherwise keep my mouth shut. As the dog is becoming conditioned to respond to your call the "right moment" becomes broader and broader until you can call your dog at virtually any moment.