Crate Training Older Dogs

I have an 8yo JRT Tess, she has never been crate trained, I had never heard of crate training until about 6 months ago. I have crate trained my other pup (15 week old Golden Lexi) and she is more than happy to spend time in her crate

As for Tess she often steals Lexis crate, so I considered getting her one, but I dont know if I should go the same way about training her to be comfortable using it, with Lexi I fed her in it and locked her in for short periods...now she is happy to go in whenever, except at bed time, but thats only because she doesnt want to go to bed (If anyone has any suggestions to stop this that would be great, she is going to get to big for me to physically put in soon)

Im not sure if this is the right way to go with Tess, as I said she often steals Lexis, but that is because she is the dominant of the two, when it comes to being locked up and left alone she barks constantly, as I found recently when both my dogs started training on the same day, Lexi goes first and Tess barks in the crate the whole time, even with a juicy bone to eat, when Tess has her class Lexi is happy to sit quietly or sleep in it until we are done

I crate trained both of my dogs when they were around 9 years old. I thought it would be hard but they took to it very easily. They love it now - I don't know why I waited so long!

What worked for us was:

1 - crating them together (my 2 are like the odd couple - a weird match in many ways but they are their own little pack)

2 - initially giving them each something nice to chew (but not nice enough to fight over) when they went into their crate, just after shutting the door

3 - sitting nearby while they were in their crate initially, then building up to leaving the room etc

4 - only putting them in there for short periods initially, and then at night

5 - never ever using the crate as a punishment

My 2 love their crate, and both of them will put themselves in their crate when they are tired or want some space. I have found it a great way to keep them comfortable overnight, and also an invaluable way to keep them safe and secure during BBQs or parties or when friends bring their young children over.

Don't worry too much - just give it a try and remember don't ask for too much too early, just build it up in baby steps. It sounds to me like your dog may really like the whole crate thing and it might be easier than you imagine.