Runny Poo After Beach Visit

Sticks1977

I have recently noticed when on "poo patrol" in the backyard that some of the #2's that Henry does have been a little runny...

On Wednesday afternoon it was rather warm so I took him for his first visit down to the beach and he dipped his paws into the water breaking into the shore line - he did follow me in at one point and was up to his chest in water before being hit with a few small waves where I think he may have swallowed some sea water.

Over the last few weeks his diet has been the same (Artemis Fresh Mix Medium/Large Breed), I am just wondering whether the visit to the beach has made his stomach upset? Should I perhaps be more worried and pay a visit to the Vet...? It has been just over two days now and his poo is still a little runny!

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated - I am just not sure whether it was the beach (or perhaps a 'virus' that he has picked up), or whether he started well on Artemis but is now rejecting the food?!?

Thanks for reading and look forward to some replies

Regards, Shaun (Sticks1977)

I have recently noticed when on "poo patrol" in the backyard that some of the #2's that Henry does have been a little runny...

On Wednesday afternoon it was rather warm so I took him for his first visit down to the beach and he dipped his paws into the water breaking into the shore line - he did follow me in at one point and was up to his chest in water before being hit with a few small waves where I think he may have swallowed some sea water.

Over the last few weeks his diet has been the same (Artemis Fresh Mix Medium/Large Breed), I am just wondering whether the visit to the beach has made his stomach upset? Should I perhaps be more worried and pay a visit to the Vet...? It has been just over two days now and his poo is still a little runny!

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated - I am just not sure whether it was the beach (or perhaps a 'virus' that he has picked up), or whether he started well on Artemis but is now rejecting the food?!?

Thanks for reading and look forward to some replies

Regards, Shaun (Sticks1977)

My Vet advises us that if a dog stomach is upset to go 24hrs without food then slowly introduce plain boring food like chicken and rice. Main thing is that he is drinking well and not vommitting. Usually it takes a few days to get back to normal. If you are still worried consult your Vet.

Ended up visiting the emergency vet centre tonight as Henry's diarrhea was becoming a little worse with a very runny (almost liquid) poo around 5.30 this afternoon.

We went to see the vets at AEC and they checked his heart rate, felt around his stomach and took his temperature - all OK. She also stuck her finger up his rear end and said that there was a little evidence of a sandy type substance so the vet mentioned that Henry may have swallowed some sand at the beach.

Henry is now home and feeling a little tired - he is to be on a diet of boiled chicken breast and rice for the next few days to see if his condition and bowels will improve. After he was out of the vets (we arrived at 6.30pm and were out at 8.30pm) he had another diarrhea episode outside and then had another squirt when he arrived home around 9.10pm.

The vet also took a blood test to get a reading of the protein levels in his blood and everything was fine - hopefully as of tomorrow morning he will be on the way back to recovery... it's never nice when you suffer from the runs!

I hope Henry is feeling better this morning. It happens with my two, being labs they love to swim and occasionally have nibbled on a jelly fish before I have told them to leave it. Now that really gives an upset tummy. Hopefully Henry's tummy will settle down and I bet he is loving that chicken breast and rice diet. :mad

I hope Henry is feeling better this morning. It happens with my two, being labs they love to swim and occasionally have nibbled on a jelly fish before I have told them to leave it. Now that really gives an upset tummy. Hopefully Henry's tummy will settle down and I bet he is loving that chicken breast and rice diet. :laugh:

Yeah he is loving the chicken breast and rice - the tail wagging is out of control when he is eating this new and wonderful food... I wonder if he will end up wanting to go back to the Artemis after this?!?

He was just out in the backyard before and had a small poo - and it's good news! - it was not an entirely large one but the main thing is it was a solid stool and he seems to be much happier in himself...