New Dog/diet

I have an 18 month old Lhasa Apso Cross whom I rescued from the pound, so I'm assuming his diet was not all that varied or nutritous. When I got him home, I of course went out and bought the best dog food to make up for his lack at the start of life. Of course, as we all know some dogs tummy's just can't handle rich food, as was the case with Micky.

I had bought him "Beneful" wet food (which he only got half of one once a day) and a good quality dry food which I mixed with the wet food and he also had a handful of the dry in the mornings for breakfast. Within days what was coming out the other end was just like green mud. It was awful, I knew straight away that this combination of food was not agreeing with him. Although the biscuits promoted all the things that a growing dog needs a) good digestion b)dental care c) omega 3 and such, his faeces was the same colour as the biscuits. I decided to introduce some roughage and bought a different biscuit that again stated all the right things for the dog, but they were a really dry biscuit. I also stopped giving him the Beneful and started him on the Rolls of dog meat, a chicken and rice to start with.

After a few days of this diet his stools started to firm up and were no longer a green colour, BUT as he is still getting over the teething period, I still buy him rawhide knot bones. He can polish one of these off in a matter of hours and I have noticed that just after he has eaten one of these bones, he get's the runs. The only other thing I can possibly think of is: I buy the Chicken Smackos and cut them up into five pieces and use them as training treats. As we are doing some serious behaviour modification using Reward for Good Behaviour, we are going through alot of smackos (he doesn't get one every time he does the right thing, half is pats and praise and half is smackos, pats and praise.) Though he has the runs, he is not displaying any sign of illness, he's not off his food, the only reason I know he's got the runs is because I clean the back garden up every day and I find them.

Can anyone give me advice about rawhide bones, can they cause the runs, what about smackos? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Micky Moo

Not sure if I can help but I thought I'd throw in the thoughts I had while reading your post in case its of some use to you.

I generally feed dogs raw food but I'm not totally opposed to kibble or commercial dog food generally - I just try not to feed it if possible - but when you thought of giving him roughage it might have been better to go for something natural and raw, like pulped raw carrots and greens. I always recommend at least mixing commercial food with SOME natural - especially if it looks like somethings not quite right - eg the runs

Pumpkin - cooked and mashed up - is really good for dogs with diarhea for example. Also, some sort of probiotics can help with digestion and a little yoghurt (which has probiotics in it) can also help calm tummys down (as long as there are no dairy allergies or anything).

Have you tried Eagle Pack dog food? Its very good stuff. And I use Nature's Gift canned food and treats which are reasonably cheap and very healthy.

As for the rawhide chews - I've never heard of them being connected to the runs - but I have read cases where dogs choked on pieces of rawhide. There is also some concern about additives used in making the chews - especially the cheaper ones. I avoid it and give my dogs raw bones and chicken frames instead,