Behaviour Assistance

Hi. I have been a member/lurker for 4 months and this is my first post. I have used this forum for help with puppy training, and your posts got me through some challenging times. I now need a local opedience trainer for 1 on 1 assistance. I am between Taree and Port Macquaire. Can any one recommend a good one. I have a 7 month old female dobe who pulls and I would like a bit of extra help. My first dobe died last year at 13 and I had no trouble, I must be a bit rusty. Thanks

If finding a local trainer doesn't work out always try Steve

www.k9pro.com.au (I think)

He has distance programs for loose leash walking and raising a puppy

I am doing a program on training in Prey drive with awesome results witha whippet

• 5 months later...

Helo my name is Deanne l have a 22 month old collie her name is tryka and lm hopeing she will get accredited to be my assistance dog ,,im wondering how can l get her to retreive her lead for walks and trying to get her use to public my council said l can take her any where on lead apart from the mall until she is accredited which is fine l hope some one can help me out thanks

l

Hi Deanna.

Welcome to DOL.

I love hearing of stories where dogs help people where nothing else does just as well.

I didn't think any dog could be accredited with permission to unrestricted access to public places/shops etc UNLESS the dog had been formally trained by an accredited Assistance Dog Training establishment ???

I'm not completely up with the laws/regulations on this, so don't take my word for it. I'm sure there are others here on DOL who will be able to confirm/deny/give more information than I can in this respect, although tomorrow will probably net you some more responses.

Not to forget that this is Annette0608's thread seeking help for Loose Lead Walking tuition/assistance. I'm not sure of NSW lay-out so I don't know how far/close you are to Steve (K9 Pro). Certainly have no hesitation in recommending him. I don't know of any other trainer/s in your State so am unable to recommend.

Edited by Erny

Not sure who is in VIC to help you Deanna - but you could try the National Dog Trainers Federation http://www.ndtf.net.au/ They might know of someone who is experienced in assistance dog training.

In Sydney there is Steve Austin who has trained assistance dogs and scent dogs.

I also thought they had to be an accredited assistance dog (or undertaking training with an organisation eg guide dogs) to get unlimited access to public places