Letter Template Re Rspca's Anti Pedigree Campaign

BJean

I have a template for a short letter to the Canine Councils

regarding the RSPCA's campaign against pedigree dogs.

For those that care enough to do something and want to write to their Canine Council to voice their concern

but don't know how to, won't or can't :love:

send me a PM

and I will send you the template -

all you have to do is add in your name and the name of your State Canine Council,

and then email it to your state CC.

The letter is in reference to the RSPCA FAQ on Pedigree Dogs in Australia

http://www.rspcavic.org/campaigns_news/ima...d_Questions.pdf

cheers

L:)

What is the RSPCA asking for?

There needs to be a fundamental shift in the way purebred dogs are selected and bred in Australia. The

RSPCA would like to see breeders put health, welfare and functionality ahead of the appearance of

pedigree dogs. This will involve acknowledging the health and welfare problems in each breed and

reviewing and revising breed standards. We’d like the ANKC to prohibit the registration of 1st and 2nd

degree matings; to open studbooks; and outcross then backcross where necessary to increase the

genetic diversity within particular breeds.

Are cross-bred dogs healthier than purebred dogs?

The science tells us that dogs that are the result of matings between unrelated animals have a fitness

advantage due to their genetic diversity, they are more resistant to both infectious and genetic

disease. Perhaps the best indicator that mixed breeds are generally healthier is that it’s more

expensive to purchase pet insurance for a purebred dog, because the average vet bills for pedigree

breeds are much higher than for crossbreeds.

Isn't pedigree breeding really about bettering the breed?

Unfortunately in many cases ‘bettering’ the breed simply means producing animals that increasingly fit

the breed standard description. Many breed standards are not fit for purpose and have led to the

exaggeration of physical features that compromise welfare and health. ‘Bettering’ should mean

breeding for happy, healthy, fit dogs that are suited to their environment – after all the vast majority

of dogs become family pets. If one is truly committed to ‘bettering’ a breed we would be increasingly

breeding dogs that can breathe easier, walk without pain or discomfort and once again give birth

naturally.

What is the dog show circuit like in Australia?

The dog show circuit is active in Australia and is taken very seriously by the pedigree dog breeders who

frequent them. The dog show circuit uses the written breed standard as the basis in determining

‘winners’ just as they do in the UK. The RSPCA would like to see a fundamental change in the attitudes

of show judges, with much less emphasis placed on physical traits.

Is inbreeding a problem in Australia?

The Australian National Kennel Council (ANKC) does not prohibit the mating of first degree (brothersister,

mother-son) or second degree mating (grandfather-granddaughter). Some pedigree dog breeders

deliberately mate close relatives, which increases the chances of inherited disorders in puppies and

makes puppies less resistant to both infectious and genetic disease. Closed stud books, where only

animals registered with the ANKC can breed, also decrease the gene pool. A lack of genetic variation

increases the chances of inherited disorders, compromises the immune system and may lead to

infertility.

Edited by lilli

Sent my e-mail off to Dogs NSW this morning. This is the reply I received 10 minutes ago.

Dear Susan

Attached is your e-mail which has been sent to me for comment by the office .

Can you please respond so I am sure I got your e-mail adress correct and then I will get back to you,

Regards

Frank Pieterse

President Dogs NSW

ANKC has actually written a response to the statements made by RSPCA

I found it on the Dogs SA website before I sent my letter off.

http://www.dogssa.com.au/documents/Response_to_RSPCA.pdf

I think it's quite well composed

But it doesn't hurt if we keep voicing our disgust at the RSPCAs comments

The ANKC letter from the Health and Welfare Committee to the RSCPA, does not address the issues of the RSPCA FAQ Document.

Although it attempts to ameliorate the gulf of understanding between the RSPCA's perception of ANKC's breeder members,

it fails to require that the RSPCA revoke their FAQ document. If the ANKC can assert in private letter to the RSCPA, why their claims on pedigree dogs are wrong, then the ANKC can stand up louder and prouder so the general public can see.

Nor does the ANKC letter explain to their members, why their Representative Body

deems it acceptable, that the RSPCA produce a publication denigrating ANKC members' practises and dogs -

a publication that the ANKC acknowledges is without scientific evidence and based on no more than biased conjecture and skewed supposition.

No organisation can publish unfounded claims about another and expect it to go unanswered, similarly

a represenative body cannot allow misinformation brandishing its members and their practises, to

remain unchallenged -

The ANKC need to start fighting back and stop giving into the RSPCA and start

counteracting their uneducated opinions.

An observation:

The ANKC website has no public information page about why so many RSPCA dogs are not suitable for rehoming due to temperament (57%) and health (37%) defects. (data suplied by RSPCA 2006 Annual Report).

Of course we all agree it would be inappropriate for the ANKC to brandish another organisation's dogs or attempt to skew public perception of them in this manner.

So why is it okay for the RSPCA?

Edited by lilli

ANKC has actually written a response to the statements made by RSPCA

I found it on the Dogs SA website before I sent my letter off.

http://www.dogssa.com.au/documents/Response_to_RSPCA.pdf

I think it's quite well composed

But it doesn't hurt if we keep voicing our disgust at the RSPCAs comments

Hi Esky :eek:

The ANKC letter on the SA website, is evidence that the ANKC agree that the claims made by the RSPCA about Pedigree dogs in Australia, are false.

So why are they allowing it to remain as a 'public information' document?

L:)

Edited by lilli