Exercising A Pregnant Bitch

Labkisses

Hi everyone

Just wondering who exercises their pregnant bitches and how much exercise is ok? If you do take them on jogs/walks etc, how much is enough and when would you stop?

I'm hoping one of my girls is pregnant and she loves her walks, but I cant leave her at home if I take my other lab because she cries until we get home :)

Thanks in advance

IMO, Just keep to her normal exercise until close to whelping,when she can relax and loosen up... :) keeping fit and toned will help with delivery- and she will miss her daily outings!

Obviously if she is big, shorter walks in the heat etc is common sense..she has a lot more weight to carry..

I have seen lab brood bitches who were amazingly fit, still jogging behind horses up until a few days prior to whelping... and working sheepdogs working up until a few hours prior to whelping.. giving birth, and then back to work if they could !

Not recommending either!!!

, but if your bitch is at a level of fitness then try and keep her there . She's pregnant, not convalescing :(

Edited by persephone

Sensible exercise is essential.

Your bitch will dictate to you when she has had enough. It is obviously silly to introduce exercise if she is not accustomed to it pre-pregnancy, but a good level of fitness will help to ensure that she maintains condition for whelping and also in the times after whelping when many bitches tend to lose condition rapidly.

Not recommending the following, but even as much as a few days prior to her litter of nine being born, my Stafford bitch was still swimming in the dam and jumping fences on the property. I ended up having to "confine her to barracks" because I was worried she might overdo things. She was NOT happy!!