Neighbour's Dog

flycow

Hello Dolers, I need some advice.

I have a feral neighbour next door who kept his rotty mix in a 2x2 area littered with poo and dirty water. There's some tubs with water there, one have gone green, the others are black. There's no shelter either, it's just a fenced off area, so he's in the sun, rain wind and hail. He can't see out at anybody and have no interactions. Basically he's just a guard dog and he's going bonkers especially at night time. From the appearance he looks healthy and fed but sometimes the scrap food were left to rot for days. I've reported it.

Now the question lies, if he looks healthy even though living in filth, will they still take action?

What can I do now? I pity him but the owner is totally mental, same as the dog and now he is driving us mad as well as he barks Non-stop from 9pm at night, we have moved to another room for some sanity. :laugh:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who have you reported it to???

Make sure your local Council is informed aswell as RSPCA.

No dog/ animal should be kept like that.

Poor puppy. You would probably find with a little stimulation the dog would stop barking, Maybe be sneaky and throw a toy or 2 over the fence to occupy it.. (as long as the neighbour wont flip out on you).

We had the same prob with a dog getting fed, or should I say not getting feed, so we use to throw a bone/mince over every couple of day. We informed the RSPCA abd they went around had a word to the owner and gave them some food. The dog got checked up on every week until the RSPCA decided enough was enough and they confiscated the dog...

Will be interesting to see the outcome of your delema

Dear Flycow

We had a similar situation, next door kept a large dog in their laundry at least 17 out of every 24 hours...the laundry backed on to our house and at night we would sleep in the spare bedroom with earplugs in and pillows over our heads - seriously the howling was so bad....we reported them as well and the RSPCA advised that if the dog could stand up, albeit in a tight space, then they could do nothing. I remember feeling so powerless. The only good thing, the people living in the house eventually got sick of the barking and the dog disappeared...so if the dog's barking is waking you up let's hope he's waking his owners up....I often wonder where the dog went, but I'm hoping it was to a better life than the s..t of a life he was living in that laundry.

Always begs the question...why have a dog and keep it like that!

pollywaffle, this dog is worse, he's there 24x7. There's a time the entire family went away and he's just left there with a tub of pasta, that's it for close to two weeks. A friend drove by every 3-4 days to check on him, I don't know if he fed him. He's not a pup, I guess he's at least 2y.o. The owner won't get affected by the barking as they are night people as well, gets loud only after sunset. I should probably blast the sound system at 7am but I dont' want to disturb anybody, we are quiet people.

Edited by flycow

This could sound extreme but go to your local Councilman/ Parliment representative. Tell them the Rangers arnt doing anything/ Tell them the RSPCA isnt doing anything... (Obviously make sure that they arnt :) ) Make a huge fuss.

All else fails, when the owners leave, let the dog out, call the ranger say that you have found a dog on the streets. Ask them to collect it and the HOPEFULLY :laugh: as long as the dog isnt to messed up in the head he will get rehomed...Just make sure the dog has no tags on it to identify the owner. I doubt a dog treated like that will be microchipped or even registered.. To make sure you could take it to a different shire and call that ranger. I doubt the owner will call around to look for the dog...

I know its all prob against the law, but sometime things have to be done to help these poor defensless animals.

:laugh:

This could sound extreme but go to your local Councilman/ Parliment representative. Tell them the Rangers arnt doing anything/ Tell them the RSPCA isnt doing anything... (Obviously make sure that they arnt :) ) Make a huge fuss.

All else fails, when the owners leave, let the dog out, call the ranger say that you have found a dog on the streets. Ask them to collect it and the HOPEFULLY :laugh: as long as the dog isnt to messed up in the head he will get rehomed...Just make sure the dog has no tags on it to identify the owner. I doubt a dog treated like that will be microchipped or even registered.. To make sure you could take it to a different shire and call that ranger. I doubt the owner will call around to look for the dog...

I know its all prob against the law, but sometime things have to be done to help these poor defensless animals.

i'd advise not taking it to a different shire as most wont accept a dog from outside area...

Well I won't want to release the dog as he has no contact with most humans, I don't know if he'd be aggressive. It's not easy to release him anyway, the surrounds of his area is full of industrial waste like timber planks and stuff, nobody can get to him really except from inside the house.

Just spoke to useless council, they asked me to keep a 2 week diary and note the type of barks and reason for it. They are basically asking me to keep awake whole night for two weeks to make those notes. It's a good thing I love dogs and really pity him, any dog hater will just get rid of him in their own way. They really make it too hard going through the proper channels, sometimes I wonder what I pay rates for. sigh.

i'd advise not taking it to a different shire as most wont accept a dog from outside area

I work in the Ranger section (no Im not a ranger) at a Local Government and if we get a call about a dog that is loose in our shire with out tags then we take it in.

You could say that you were just driving and saw the dog.. I know its the wrong thing by law to do, but my blood is just boiling. How can people treat animlas like that. :laugh:

:laugh: It makes me soo soo angry.

I've done the RSPCA, now to the useless council, tough one.

tell them the poo is a health hazard

done that, and they list it as a "smell" complaint, description as there's an odor coming from property. Now how's that going to make anybody take the complaint seriously. :laugh:

Just spoke to useless council, they asked me to keep a 2 week diary and note the type of barks and reason for it

Funny you say that, I am just about to right a letter to someone that has to fill the same Bark diary out...I know they such but Councils are required by law to do it.. I dont agree but they are the rules.

I dont know the situation, eg dogs temrement/ surrounds and all that. Maybe just keep nagging the RSCPA..

SOME ONE has to listen HOPEFULLY..

pollywaffle, this dog is worse, he's there 24x7. There's a time the entire family went away and he's just left there with a tub of pasta, that's it for close to two weeks. A friend drove by every 3-4 days to check on him, I don't know if he fed him. He's not a pup, I guess he's at least 2y.o. The owner won't get affected by the barking as they are night people as well, gets loud only after sunset. I should probably blast the sound system at 7am but I dont' want to disturb anybody, we are quiet people.

What can I say..this sounds like the worst possible scenario..I thought our situation was bad..the poor, poor, little guy. I know what you mean about making noise...we undertook to vacuum at 4.30am (we're early birds), but we couldn't go through with it..too many inbred manners unfortunately. Hope you resolve it soon Flycow!

Just spoke to useless council, they asked me to keep a 2 week diary and note the type of barks and reason for it

Funny you say that, I am just about to right a letter to someone that has to fill the same Bark diary out...I know they such but Councils are required by law to do it.. I dont agree but they are the rules.

I dont know the situation, eg dogs temrement/ surrounds and all that. Maybe just keep nagging the RSCPA..

SOME ONE has to listen HOPEFULLY..

Right now we sleep in the spare room at the back with ear plugs. We can't afford to stay awake as we have to work. I suggest to council about putting on a voice recorder for the noise at night, then submit them as evidence. They said no, instead of a CD with all the voice clips and photographs and all, I have to DOCUMENT it black and white, their way. Now I don't even care about the barking anymore, we can always move to another room, that's a small matter. What I care about is that it such a torture for the dog to face four walls day in and out, I know I'd go crazy in a few days for sure.

edit random spelling.

Edited by flycow

Right now we sleep in the spare room at the back with ear plugs. We can't afford to stay awake as we have to work. I suggest to council about putting on a voice recorder for the noise at night, then submit them as evidence. They said no, instead of a CD with all the voice clips and photographs and all, I have to DOCUMENT it black and white, their way. Now I don't even care about the barking anymore, we can always move to another room, that's a small matter. What I care about is that it such a torture for the dog to face four walls day in and out, I know I'd go crazy in a few days for sure.

I couldnt agree more.. I would hate to be in those shoes.. Like I said I dont agree, they just pay me each week. :laugh:

Did you have any luck with the RSPCA

"What I care about is that it such a torture for the dog to face four walls day in and out, I know I'd go crazy in a few days for sure."

That's the part that's so hard to contemplate...the suffering of that poor dog. That is what used to affect me so much, knowing that the dog's life was just that.