Kcc Park - Tampering With Dog Float

Also in General -I have been advised to add here also....

Hi all, hope you are enjoying your Easter long weekend.

Just thought it a good idea to advise those of you that tow a float to any dog events, that before you leave to go home, please check your coupling and lighting connection.

Yesterday, after having a wonderful day doing obedience trialling at KCC Park, we discovered that someone had disconnected our float lights from the car. Luckily we noticed, and then of course checked everything else. All else was fine.

... it's not like I won or anything either

I was quite disturbed by this. I am really upset that another dog person would even consider doing this to someone and risk another car running into the back of their float and possibly injuring their dogs.

The plug had definitely been removed and then placed back over the draw bar, so not a situatrion where it could have just falling out.

Anyway guys, I would hate for anyone to be involved in an accident, so please please get into the habit of checking all connections (if you don't already) before going home. I know I will be much more vigilent from now on.

Edited by dyzney

Hi mmoo, I tend to see the good in everyone, so I doubt it is a fellow competitor. I am thinking naughty kids maybe???

I was competing at a low level and only just passed, so I am certainly no threat to any other competitors.

Anyway, erny has suggested I mention it to Park management at VCA, so I will be doing that tomorrow.

Perhaps at future events for a while the trial and show secretaries might make an announcement prior to presentations just to remind competitors to check their floats before leaving. I don't want to make a big deal about it, but would just hate anyone to have an accident because of something like this. Or perhaps they may even make a mention of it in the next Vic Dog?

I was competing at a low level and only just passed, so I am certainly no threat to any other competitors.

Hey, congratulations !!!

And don't sell yourself short - well done :).

Hey, congratulations !!!

And don't sell yourself short - well done :rofl:.

Thanks erny. Our gorgeous Dyzney has achieved 5 passes in obedience in the past 5 months including one title, so she is the clever girl. Fingers crossed we might get another ob title and a herding one this month also. She turns 7 in a couple of weeks, so our time is limited, but whilst she is having a ball, I figure "why not"?!

I guess what I was trying to say was that we are not competative in the way that could be seen as a threat to others, if by chance that was seen to be the reason for the float tampering, and that is why I don't think it was.

Dyz and I love to compete, but we are not trophy hunters. I enjoy gaining titles, and she loves being in the ring and learning. My competition is with myself, and no one else.

Hopefully we will have Jag out at it soon :D

A bit OT, but the whole ironic thing (funny really) about the whole float thing is that I never travel Dyzney in it anyway. She travels in the car, and we take the float for storage. :rofl::rofl:

Edited by dyzney

Interested to know how often this happens? Might be simply slip out, due to owner/human error.

I refuse to have my dogs in a trailer. Call me paranoid, that's OK. A welder friend's full time job was repairing towing "bars" on caravans, truck trailers, horse and dog floats.

Hi Lablover, after speaking to quite a few people about this over the past few days, seems that it is not all that uncommon.

As written in my OP, this was not a case of human error, although I understand that this could quite easily happen and we are all only human afterall, but the plug lead was removed, and placed back over the draw bar, so could not have possibly fallen out and done this. If it had fallen out, it would be on the ground. And we checked the lights before leaving home that morning and everything was connected.

Also, I don't think you are being paranoid. That day my girl travelled to and from the trial in the car. We mostly use the float to cart all our bits and pieces around. :laugh: and the dogs usually travel in the car, unless we are really stuck for room. Our float is a 4 berth with a huge centre divider, and if we have to put the dogs in it, they travel in the front berths when and where possible.

We also have massive LED tail lights in efforts to ensure drivers behind do not miss us braking. It can be worrying, but to date we havenever had any dramas. I certainly understand your concerns though.

Also, an update, I spoke with Judy at Dogs Vic, and she has said that they will pop something up on the website and also try to put something in next months Vic Dog mag

Edited by dyzney