Some Holiday Photos

Rappie

I was just going through some photos from our trip to New Caledonia last year, thought I would see what you guys think of them. Reviews from my family were mixed, the main complaints being that they were too structured and there were very few photos of OH and I (that was deliberate, I think people get in the way of view, lol). I haven't actually taken any photos for a while, but the results of our holiday photography suggest that OH and I have quite different styles, even though I didn't think I had developed a 'style', lol.

This was on the top of a hill looking over a river crossing.

IMGP9282.jpg

View out the back door of the cabin where we first stayed.

IMGP9308.jpg

Bridge in a completely isolated area of mining country on the trip across the middle of the island.

IMGP9435.jpg

Abandoned warehouse in the middle of mining country.

IMGP9486.jpg

Sunset on the Anse Vata

IMGP9730.jpg

The Tjibaou Cultural Centre

IMGP9966.jpg

Tiny flower in the cactus garden of the 'Zoo'. This was actually the result of a dare from my OH, it proved that I did have ninja-surgeon-macro hands.

IMGP9662.jpg

I can post the link to the album if anyone wants to see the rest.

Looking at them, I can appreciate the structured comment but I don't know if it's a negative. I can see that in other aspects of my life though, I like lists, I like maths and theories and rules and structure......I seem to have (not entirely deliberately) followed the rule of thirds, or at least some degree of balance, in all of the shots.

Edited by Rappie

The bridge is one of my favourites too (among my favourites were the bridge, a lighthouse and the building.....maybe my calling isn't in macro, lol). The mining areas were such a stark contrast to the rest of New Caledonia - you drive through tropical forest and are suddenly faced with the bright orange of open cut mining as far as you can see. Aside from the odd bus that we assume we carrying workers, we drove for about 3 hours through windy, cliffy roads and didn't see a soul. In colour, the bridge looks like a bridge, but I think in B&W it does reflect the "moody" atmosphere. The area was beautiful in it's own kind of way, but I couldn't wait to get back near the coast onto a 'major' road, it was so quiet it was a bit creepy.

Edit to add a photo:

This is the main highway :laugh:

IMGP9495.jpg

Edited by Rappie

We went there a few years ago and were stunned by the open cut mining that just goes on either side of the highway! And also the speed limit for that goat track! I loved the way it said, for example, 40 through a certain area, then the next sign was a 40 with a line through it, as in not 40 anymore, pick your own speed!

Did you just go to the main island or did you go to Ile de pines or any of the others. Also was one of your photos as Heingiene (spelling????)

Oh yes....the road "guidelines" were very interesting. On our drive up the west coast, one was more likely to be hit by a speeding Ambulance or Gendarme that actually hit another car. I liked the road marking that tell you which is your side of the road going around a corner, but the rest of the time you can drive where you like......

We just went to the main island, with a day trip to Amedee Island to see the lighthouse. The palm trees were at Hienghene, we stayed for a few days at Hotel Koulnoue (former Club Med). The shot of the mountains was a bit further north past the river crossing. We did the walk to Cascade de Tao too - that was $2 well spent to wander through some dudes front garden - bit dubious of the Lonely Planet guides description of "easy walk" - easy if you like hopping from boulder to boulder, lol.

I found it weird driving through the mining area. There's just nothing and no-one out there for 200km of windy goat tracks, it was kind of eerie. I was quite thankful we were driving a Yaris on the odd occasion we did see a truck :laugh:

I quite liked this road sign too. Just in case you didn't notice the river, or the ferry........

IMGP9297.jpg

Edit:While we're talking about the roads in New Caledonia........on the left, you'll see the highway, on the right, you'll see the ocean...don't fall in.

IMGP9332.jpg

Edited by Rappie

He Hee, we have a similar one of the same sign! And several others! I don't want to take over from your thread and post them, especially as mine were taken with a cheapo point and shoot camera (I since have my lovely DSL which I'm still learning to use) I loved the ones where you came to a narrow bridge and there was a sign with one red car and one black car, and it was supposed to tell you which car went first. We were lucky that no one ever came the other way at that time. And everyone waved as you drove past.

The other funny thing we found was we were following the map down a road which became worse and worse (this road was marked as a major road). Then we came across the GRADER making the road :laugh: ! Needless to say we turned back and found another way through.

The other funny thing we found was we were following the map down a road which became worse and worse (this road was marked as a major road). Then we came across the GRADER making the road :laugh: ! Needless to say we turned back and found another way through.

There was a heap of road work being done when we there, including on a bridge. Got sent on a detour off to one side, down a slope and across a ford, looked like the rocky track had been cleared just by driving a big truck through it to push everything out of the way, lol. Glad the Yaris was nimble.

The narrow bridges are pretty special too. No railings, just a slightly more than one car wide bridge about 50cm off the creek, lol.

When we went over the ferry - the guy was wearing council issue fluro orange board shorts :laugh: