New Border Collie Mum From Hp

Nic.B

Hello,

I have never posted in the Breeders Community before. If this post is inappropriate in any way please move or delete it.

I have a lovely Border Collie female 'Floss', here who was in whelp while imponded at HP pound. Floss came here for quarantine, though had her bubs at the end of her quarantine period.

Floss & the babies are well set up & doing very well so far. Floss is a great Mum and the puppies are a week old today. They are gaining weight & were weighed after birth & again 4 days later. I have all of the weights if you would like them.

My question is re feeding;

I have noticed once first attaching the puppies push & pull with their mouths and front feet, a while later they "appear" to drink very steadily & stop pushing & pulling.

In terms of ensuring they are all doing well re feeding, how long should they feed during the quiet time?

Floss spends time with us once her puppies are fed & cleaned, how long would you recommend for this between feeds?

Thank you :rofl:

The 'push & pull' is perfectly normal, they are working to get their feed...is mother dog in good milk?

If they are all gaining weight steadily and look full and healthy then there is no cause for concern, I assume Floss comes and goes to them throughout the day (ie. she doesn't require you to take her to them, she goes of her own free will on a regular basis)?

The 'push & pull' is perfectly normal, they are working to get their feed...is mother dog in good milk?

If they are all gaining weight steadily and look full and healthy then there is no cause for concern, I assume Floss comes and goes to them throughout the day (ie. she doesn't require you to take her to them, she goes of her own free will on a regular basis)?

Thank You,

Yes Floss is feeding the pups well and going by the puppies weights they are doing well.

I can post the weights if needed. The puppies look full & healthy. I understand that pushing & pulling is very natural though through watching them all change from pushing & pulling to a quiet phase I wondered if this was something I should also be aware of? I am just trying to understand this all a lot better I think & gain some knowledge.

Floss & bubs are set up in our garden flat as it is private & away from our children & other dogs . Floss does need me to open the door at times. I am not able to say that she can simply come & go on her own the whole time although this is what I aim for & she has this access most of the time.

As SBT123 said the initial pushing and pulling encourages the bitch to let her milk down, they don't need to do this for the entire feed though if a bitch had a low milk supply you'd probably find puppies doing this throughout the feed.

Sounds like everything is well :confused:

The pushing and pulling, encourage the bitch to let down milk, it's natures way of turning the milk on, on demand.

As long as the pups are putting on weight and are quiet and content after a meal, then it's all good

Thank you :confused:

Thats how I felt it worked as I have spent a lot of time watching the puppies during feeding & have seen the change in how they feed.

So once they stop pushing & pulling & simply drink quietly they are in heaven :cry:

The pups are gaining weight & are sleeping well, quiet & content.

As SBT123 said the initial pushing and pulling encourages the bitch to let her milk down, they don't need to do this for the entire feed though if a bitch had a low milk supply you'd probably find puppies doing this throughout the feed.

Sounds like everything is well :confused:

Thank you Aziah for your help :cry:

We have a long way to go, though all is well so far.

Sorry...

Another question, How long should Floss spend away from her pups with us between each feed?

While Floss is besotted with her babies & a great Mum she remains very attached to me as a new rescue.

We go in & out together to check on the puppies after feeding every half hour or so, most often they are all sound asleep, though I feel as though she would also like some quality down time away from the puppies.

Perhaps I am reading to much into this :confused: I am sure I am....

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions re this.

Thank You in advance :cry:

How old now? There's no set rule though every few hours you'll probably find they are wanting a feed...

ETA: if you were bottle feeding for instance it would be every 3-4 hours

Edited by Aziah

The puppies are one week old today & Floss is feeding every hour or so during the day when I am with her.

At night Floss & Bubs are on their own now, we have an oil heater on & they are very comfortable together.

I am in from early am & go to bed late so keep a close eye on them all.

Floss is at my feet now & is enjoyng a break from the demands of Motherhood.

I often wonder when I should take Mum back in to feed? What time frame is recommended between feeds?

Thank You Aziah :confused:

How often they feed depends on the size of the puppies. Little puppies born at 200gms will need to feed ever hour or so but those born at 500gms can drink more at once and will probably only need to feed about every three hours. Border collie puppies should gain at least 50gms a day. Again the bigger they are born the more weight they will gain each day, anything from 50-100gms a day is possible. Regardless of birth weight they should double their weight in the first 7-10 days.

My girls always have free access to come and go to their babies for the first 5 weeks. Some hardly leave the box for the first two weeks, while other feed, toilet and wash the babies, then leave them to sleep. So long as the babies are quiet, they are getting enough food.

Make sure that the mum is getting enough food. She should be getting at least three times her normal diet until the puppies are about 4 weeks old when you can star to cut it down gradually. Start to wean the puppies between 3 and 4 weeks and as you increase their quantity of food you can cut the mum's accordingly until she is back on normal rations by the time they are 7 or 8 weeks.

Thank You for your help,

Floss is eating very well three times a day. She appears to have plenty of milk & the puppies seem to be doing very well.

We have no idea what they might be crossed with size wise. They do have full little tummies & appear healthy & well. The smallest was 268gr's born & the largest 418gr's born.

I think I just need to relax a little bit, as long as they steadily gain weight. It is such an enormous responsibility, though very rewarding.

Hi,

I just wanted to thank you all very much for the advice you have offered for Floss & her babies.

I dont want to take up anymore of your time, though thought it might be nice to post this link to Floss's thread just to say thanks for your time as we have pics up from today.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...45&start=45

I am still a worry wart & am not confident at all though am very happy that all appears to be well so far.

Obviously we have a long way to go, though I have everything crossed that we all do really well.

Nic

Hi,

I just wanted to thank you all very much for the advice you have offered for Floss & her babies.

I dont want to take up anymore of your time, though thought it might be nice to post this link to Floss's thread just to say thanks for your time as we have pics up from today.

I am still a worry wart & am not confident at all though am very happy that all appears to be well so far.

Obviously we have a long way to go, though I have everything crossed that we all do really well.

Nic

WIth regard to the mother leaving the pups I wouldn't worry too much about that. We have a couple of bitches that won't leave the pups at all, and then we have one who on her last litter last year would come in and feed then go straight back out with the other dogs. She seemed to hardly spend any time with pups, Yet they all gained weight and hardly ever murmured so they must have been getting fed enough.

Let your dog be your judge. She will let you know when she needs to feed the pups and when not. I never cease to be amazed at how well bitches take to mothering even on their first litter. They just know right away what to do and when to do it. Unlike some people.

Hi,

Nic

I don't suppose you have any idea what dad was? From the markings and the short muzzles I am going to to guess possibly Staffy. They don't look like pure BCs from those photos but it can be hard tell in the first few weeks.

No, no idea who Dad was...

He may also have been a crossbreed. I am cetainly not an expert, though have been told it is very difficult to tell at this age.

At one stage I was thinking Tenterfeild Terrier regarding the little girl with the spotty bottom.

It is going to be interesting watching them grow & getting a better idea of their breed thats for sure.

Hi,

Nic

WIth regard to the mother leaving the pups I wouldn't worry too much about that. We have a couple of bitches that won't leave the pups at all, and then we have one who on her last litter last year would come in and feed then go straight back out with the other dogs. She seemed to hardly spend any time with pups, Yet they all gained weight and hardly ever murmured so they must have been getting fed enough.

Let your dog be your judge. She will let you know when she needs to feed the pups and when not. I never cease to be amazed at how well bitches take to mothering even on their first litter. They just know right away what to do and when to do it. Unlike some people.

Thank you for your help.

Floss does enjoy quite a lot of time with us as she has become very attached to me.

She is a great Mum & the puppies appear to be doing very well.

This has been quite an experience to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

Floss & her bubs appear to be doing really well, they are a wonderful family.

The puppies are doing well in lapping puppy milk and today have done very well with tiny, tiny bits of good quality raw mince scramled through with their milk.

Obviously I am very new at this & would like to offer them the best I can.

Is there a recommended diet that is able to be offered for puppies of 3 weeks? Is a mix of different foods & textures recomended? or is puppy milk based products combined with a couple of simple consistent meat based products the best?

My feeling is to keep things pretty simple & consistant for now.

Thanks in advance

Hi Everyone

Floss & her bubs appear to be doing really well, they are a wonderful family.

The puppies are doing well in lapping puppy milk and today have done very well with tiny, tiny bits of good quality raw mince scramled through with their milk.

Obviously I am very new at this & would like to offer them the best I can.

Is there a recommended diet that is able to be offered for puppies of 3 weeks? Is a mix of different foods & textures recomended? or is puppy milk based products combined with a couple of simple consistent meat based products the best?

My feeling is to keep things pretty simple & consistant for now.

Thanks in advance

Hi Nic B

When I started to feed my 3 week old pups, I wet the dry food with Di-Vetelact and blended it in to a consistancy of pumpkin soup and would let them lap that and then I just gradually added the mince. Once they had that under control I then would just wet down the dry food and add the mince and then by they were 7 weeks they were getting dry food with mince. Hope this helps

Cheers :laugh: