Canberra Peoples :)

Hiya

I've never done obedience classes before, so am looking for a recommendation in the Canberra area? Indira is very very intelligent and I have no idea what I am doing.. sometimes she is food driven.. but nothing really holds her attention for long.

The main thing I want to work on is recall.. but she also does not really listen/respond to 'No' or if I 'bark' at her when she is doing something naughty.

She has a lot of potential but I am at a loss as to how to get that out of her ;)

Hiya

I've never done obedience classes before, so am looking for a recommendation in the Canberra area? Indira is very very intelligent and I have no idea what I am doing.. sometimes she is food driven.. but nothing really holds her attention for long.

The main thing I want to work on is recall.. but she also does not really listen/respond to 'No' or if I 'bark' at her when she is doing something naughty.

She has a lot of potential but I am at a loss as to how to get that out of her ;)

There are three community based clubs in the ACT; Belconnen, the Companion Dog Club (Narrabundah) and Tuggeranong. Belco would be closest to you.

If you want a recall, reward reward reward every time she comes. Practice on a long line if necessary.

Although formal obedience classes probably would benefit you, I think things like a recall need to be taught outside of that environment. I took our dog through three levels at dog club and stopped when we got to the pre-trialling level. As a result I have a dog that is great at formal recalls (stay, come, sit in front) but flips me the bird if I call him while doing something interesting ;)

Edit: I go to Belconnen and it has been good, the only issue I have is too much formal heeling as you go up the levels, but that depends on the instructor. It's great for the basics, as well as training under distraction.

Edited by wuffles

Belco and CDC are both good clubs, if Belconnen is closer to you I'd go with that. A couple of DOLers instruct there too. I don't know Tuggers but it sounds like it is a long way from you anyway.

For a good conditioned recall I would recommend Leslie Nelson's Really Reliable Recall dvd or book. If I could find my copy of the dvd I'd gladly lend it to you but it has disappeared and fails to recall itself.

I love dribbly dogs

I agree CDC ( http://www.actcdc.org.au/) sounds like it would suit you - and I've also heard good things about the BDC (http://www.bdoc.asn.au/).

Depending on what you are after you could also consider the ACT RSPCA and their courses - which are shorter and focused on being a family dog and the skills that go with that not obedience - so no heeling at all for instance. They do run recall clinics to deal with the recall issue amonst distractions etc. The recall clinic is a 5 week program working specifically on getting your dog to come back

when called (but again not like in formal obedience but rather at the dog park or if they escape you on a walk or from the yard). The program is based on games and play and costs about $85 dollars. Check out http://www.rspca-act.org.au/pages/page36.asp#recall.

Good luck : )

I also train at BDOC, and have found them good and helpful (I'm on the committee now). If you want a place next term, you probably want to sign up quickly, as our classes are filling up rapidly. Its really helpful, I find, to train at club, where there are plenty of distractions around to test against :laugh:

Depending on what you are after you could also consider the ACT RSPCA and their courses - which are shorter and focused on being a family dog and the skills that go with that not obedience - so no heeling at all for instance. They do run recall clinics to deal with the recall issue amonst distractions etc. The recall clinic is a 5 week program working specifically on getting your dog to come back

when called (but again not like in formal obedience but rather at the dog park or if they escape you on a walk or from the yard). The program is based on games and play and costs about $85 dollars. Check out http://www.rspca-act.org.au/pages/page36.asp#recall.

Just a note on this, I called the RSPCA almost a year ago enquiring about the Recall Clinics. They said that they had none planned in the near or not-so-near future and to "keep an eye on the website". They haven't run any since then.

I also train at BDOC, and have found them good and helpful (I'm on the committee now). If you want a place next term, you probably want to sign up quickly, as our classes are filling up rapidly. Its really helpful, I find, to train at club, where there are plenty of distractions around to test against :laugh:

I've emailed BDOC re enrolling in the June classes.. Do you know when the next class is on and am I allowed to come along and watch?

I've emailed BDOC re enrolling in the June classes.. Do you know when the next class is on and am I allowed to come along and watch?

Hi Dribbly Dogs

There are classes on tonight from 7pm and classes on Sunday from 10am

ILDD, I'm sure no-one would have issues with you coming along to watch, just turn up and hang around the sidelines! I'm sure the instructors would be happy to chat to you as well :laugh:

Classes are on Sunday from 9am, I'll be there with Ava.

You may also be interested in contacting Heike Hahner. Heike is qualified to level II instructor at CDC but does a lot of private stuff particularly as regards proofing reliable recalls around livestock & wildlife. Heike is running classes at Bungendore & Bywong, which include time out on a property to help you proof a reliable recall. She is also available for private consults & will travel to Canberra. You may have heard Heike on the radio from time to time filling in for Fiona Cox, the guest vet, on Sunday mornings.

Heike can be contacted on 48427143 or e-mail [email protected]