Pit Bull/american Stafford

steve11

I have read and heard that American Staffs are the show version of American Pitbulls that the AKC didn't want to be associated with fighting so they called it the Am staff. Because pits were bred for fighting the colour and breed standard etc was looked over. Am staffs are a 'show' version of pitbulls.

Some one verify I'm right or verify I'm wrong.

I have read and heard that American Staffs are the show version of American Pitbulls that the AKC didn't want to be associated with fighting so they called it the Am staff. Because pits were bred for fighting the colour and breed standard etc was looked over. Am staffs are a 'show' version of pitbulls.

Some one verify I'm right or verify I'm wrong.

Yes thats basically the history. I have loads of books & info on the subject but wont burden you with it here.

They were the one/same breed until the mid 1930's when a show version of the Pitbull was established and they have been a seperate breed ever since.

Im not a Pitbull or Amstaff breeder/fancier but i do feel badly for those that will be affected by this decision.

Steve that's not a burden at all if you can could you pm me some information about it or if it's a book maybe pm the book name I'll buy it :laugh:

I did a bit of research on the subject my boys are both crosses. It's ridiculous. I heard in QLD you can't own either breeds a story was on channel nine or seven last week about someone who's dog was classified as a pit and he was registered as an am staff but the judge ruled it was the same thing. And the dog was confiscated and was living in the pound till it got cleared.

pm sent but dont know if it went. Most of my better books i have had for near 20 years or longer & they are out of print, banned or just hard to locate. Try TFH publications or basically anything by DR Carl Semencic, Mike Homan or Richard F Stratton.

I would start with Ebay in the US.

Definitely the better stuff you will need to search for online.

I am a long time SBT fancier/breeder/exhibitor but have had first hand experience with others of the 'fighting breeds' and the history of these incredible dogs is very interesting indeed.

Edited by steve11

Although this would make excellent fodder for the type of people that buy BYB Staffies and say pitbulls should be banned because they're inheriting violent, dangerous genes.

Telling the masses that Australia's favourite 'family safe' dog is actually very closely related to and is basically an off cut of the "dangerous pitbull" will knock a few socks off, I reckon.

Still, :laugh: for the Staffies who will suffer

Although this would make excellent fodder for the type of people that buy BYB Staffies and say pitbulls should be banned because they're inheriting violent, dangerous genes.

Telling the masses that Australia's favourite 'family safe' dog is actually very closely related to and is basically an off cut of the "dangerous pitbull" will knock a few socks off, I reckon.

When you say staffies i assume you are referring to American Staffordshires not Staffordshire Bull Terriers????

I'd hate to think there are still people out there that are so ignorant as to make comment on the breeds whilst knowing absolutely nothing about said breeds.

When you say staffies i assume you are referring to American Staffordshires not Staffordshire Bull Terriers????

I'd hate to think there are still people out there that are so ignorant as to make comment on the breeds whilst knowing absolutely nothing about said breeds.

When you say 'staffy' to a bogan Aussie, they assume you mean what we know as the American Staffordshire. Although you can hardly tell what they are nowdays, they've BYB it to a crisp

just to jackie stay away from any book written by Dr Carl Semanic, he is a moron and his books are full of pretty much his own opinion and alot of it is crap.

the Richard .f. stratton books are very good if you look at them with an open mind and will help you understand the history and the reason the dogs they are today. the stratton books are written in a "pro fighting" perspective so take them how you please discard what you think is bad out of them an keep in your head the good. they are great books if you dont let the perspective cloud your judgement.

Dianne Jessup has a book with excellent Quality pictures and is taken from her experiences saving dogs from fighting busts, she has pitbulls in sar work therapy dogs and lots of pitbulls you see in the movies in the 80's and 90's were her dogs.the name of the book is "the working pitbull".

another great book is written by Louis B Colby, and its name is Colbys Book Of the American Pitt Bull Terrier. it is written on the history of the dogs in America and louis colbys family were one of the first to import, the dog, and the Colby dogs were the standard chosen for the American staff, main dog being colbys primo.

it even has the origional standard for the amstaff written by hand from the authours father in 1935.

it is a pretty hard book to get now, and i would love to say i would put it out for lend but it is a signed copy that i gaurd with my life! look up the colby website for a copy Louis still sells the book thru his website. he is also a very warm man who is happy to chat about his perspective on the history of the breeds if you can get hold of him.

i hope this helps you a bit, if you want any more info feel free to pm me .

and another good book with plenty of info on both breeds is "the ultimate american pit bull terrier" by Jacqueline O'neil.

i have to go through my collection to get a list of my others but if you would like them let me know im happy to send you a list.