What Does This Mean?

aussielover

Another is other breeders calling up acting like a puppy purchaser to see what others are doing etc......

ah yeah I've had that :)

GET A LIFE is all I can say.

Gotta love this, at least be agood at it if you try lol

I had a email from someone wanting a puppy, providing all the 'right" answers etc!! But when I said it would be dexesed before leaving ( oops did I accidently email and say that)

they emailed back and said "We have changed direction now! "

Off to annoy another breeder no doubt! lol

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just been looking on the puppies for sale section of DOL. There seem to be quite a few people with the phrase "no time wasters". What exactly does that mean? IMO it kind of implies that if you are not going to buy the puppy then don't bother calling.

I mean, surely if a person is interested or thinking about getting a pup, a breeder should be happy to discuss the breed, personality of the pups etc?

Am I a time waster if I am not 100% commttied to buying a puppy from that litter, or if I'm not 100% certain the breed is right for me?

I personally find it a bit rude, I found other breders who are more tactful saying things like "genuine enquires only" or "puppy farmers BYBers need not apply" etc.

Am I just being too sensitive?

I must say that I've been a person that has placed "NO TIME WASTERS" at the end of my puppy advert's. Which I find a bit hypocritical of myself coz I could probably guarantee more then once I've been a time waster to other breeders :laugh::laugh::rofl:

As I have placed that under my adverts previously I don't find it rude or offensive but see it as making sure only the "Genuine Buyers (which I also put in the ad) the people that actually have the $$$ & can offer my puppy a good home need contact me. I place everything a potential purchaser needs to know in the ad' so there is no confusion wen they call me to enquire, although you still get the "TIME WASTERS or which ever we like to call them ringing & asking you questions that are already stated in the ad' & then before you know it the price haggling starts & boy that really gets my blood boiling :laugh::laugh::laugh:

At this point I get really short as I have been on the phone for some time speaking to these people answering all there questions, nothing wat so eva to do with my breed as they already know everything (eyes rolling) having never owned a dog of my breed before & then they have the hide to think I'm a stall at the Flea Markets & can start bartering or haggling the price down.

"mate the price is wat it is (non negotiable) if you can't afford to pay the $$$$$ that I ask for then please don't waste my time, Thank you" unless we state in the initial ad that the price maybe negotiable then we expect offers but if it says (non negotiable) & people still try barter all I wanna do is hang up.

Then I get the third degree from the potential purchaser asking why do I charge this much, I can get it cheaper in VIC or QLD or on the Trading Post but because your close I want one of your puppies but I only wanna pay this much "like I said before mate I ain't bloody Bunnings Warehouse where if you find it cheaper somewhere else we'll beat the price" (actually had to say that to someone) hubby was :):(:) coz he never seen me get like that before with a complete stranger.

Although not all puppy enquiries are like this as there are alot of Genuine people out there who have done there research & know exactly what they want & how much it's gonna cost them, I guess wen breeders place "NO TIME WASTERS" under there ad it's because there fed up & have had experiences like myself :rofl::eek: :

Edited by moko81

Why do so many not want to sell/respond to people who have mobile numbers only and free email? How is using a mobile any dodgier than using a home phone? Both can very easily be disconnected or the number changed. We have no landline, it is just too expensive to justify when mobiles are so cheap now. We also only have a free email account as our mobile broadband doesn't include an email account. I have had the same mobile number since I got my first phone 9 years ago, and have had the same email address since getting the internet.

How people choose to structure their tele-communications plans does not reflect on their reliabilty or suitability as a dog owner.

I personally don't want to be calling mobile numbers, they cost a fortune to ring and there are many times when you are on the phone for 20 minutes to an hour.

Free emails I don't care so much about, as it costs me nothing to reply to them.

Why do so many not want to sell/respond to people who have mobile numbers only and free email? How is using a mobile any dodgier than using a home phone? Both can very easily be disconnected or the number changed. We have no landline, it is just too expensive to justify when mobiles are so cheap now. We also only have a free email account as our mobile broadband doesn't include an email account. I have had the same mobile number since I got my first phone 9 years ago, and have had the same email address since getting the internet.

How people choose to structure their tele-communications plans does not reflect on their reliabilty or suitability as a dog owner.

I only put a mobile no# at the bottom of my ad's, there is an email address also but I state I prefer people to call & not email. For me I feel if someone calls me then they are more genuine then say a person who emails as they have gone outta there way to make the call & gather as much info as possible even though all info is stated in our ad's :):(:) . Not to say that all phone calls end up in a sale but it's just something I prefer as I would always rather hear who I'm communicating with :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Public forum.....multiple page thread....topic been in and out of my mind all night. My SINCEREST apologies for not going back through every single post so as to appease your sensibilities! :)

Learn to use the search function. It is very simple to use, and you will avoid getting confused about what has been said. I don't expect you to appease my sensibilities, I just think it is rude to complain about what others say without really reading what they wrote.

Er....complaining? I thought I was adding some more comment to the thread in rebuttal to your comments about car yards and car salesmen? Forgive me this time for having an opinion.

Oh and FWIW, I do use the search function frequently but if you try and do a search for that particular post, without actually knowing WHO posted it (because I honestly couldn't remember), the entire thread still comes up! Just a little FYI.......

FFS, is it a full moon? Or NEAR a full moon?

Why do so many not want to sell/respond to people who have mobile numbers only and free email?

I do not respond to mobile numbers if they are left as the sole method of contact. In the first place I see no reason why I should foot the bill for what is 9 times out of 10 a lengthy conversation and anyway, I cannot dial mobiles from my home number by choice.

If somebody has sent me an email, then a reasonable assumption is that they have email capabilities and I am then more than happy to continue communication with them VIA email....up to a point because there will invariably be a need to speak with them sooner or later if our "relationship" is to continue. But by then, they will more than likely have rung me anyway or other mutually agreeable arrangements to speak will have been made.

I have no discrimination against free email addresses. I tend to use them as well so as to keep spam and viruses away from my private address books.

Fair enough if it is a cost thing.

I have had heaps of people with only a mobile contact number,and it really does annoy me,as i have to ring THEM back and they will often be on the phone for anything up to 1/2 hr.For one litter there,my phone bill was TRIPLE due to mobiles.I can understand why breeders wont often ring a mobile number back.Sorry to all you owners who only have mobiles,but some just dont think about the expense for the breeder as they have $300 worth of calls month from their phone with $30 credit-landlines do not have that !!!!!!!

Public forum.....multiple page thread....topic been in and out of my mind all night. My SINCEREST apologies for not going back through every single post so as to appease your sensibilities! :laugh:

Learn to use the search function. It is very simple to use, and you will avoid getting confused about what has been said. I don't expect you to appease my sensibilities, I just think it is rude to complain about what others say without really reading what they wrote.

Er....complaining? I thought I was adding some more comment to the thread in rebuttal to your comments about car yards and car salesmen? Forgive me this time for having an opinion.

You didn't rebut my comments. You didn't refute or oppose the idea that qualifying sales techniques could be used to help overcome time wasters.

Instead you took umbrage and were "appalled" that somebody made an analogy between the sale of a dog and the sale of another highly valued item. The analogy was given to highlight the fact that businesses deal with 'time wasters' more efficiently and politely than people that place ads using words that may put off genuine buyers. They do it through what is called 'qualification'. It involves leading the conversation to where you need it to go, asking the right questions and being able to politely divert your time elsewhere when you feel it is being wasted.

All without placing an ad that reminds people of a wrecked commodore in the Trading Post.

I feel that you would gain some understanding (and possibly be less appalled), if you read the post again and really think about the words. If you then want to rebut what I have said, go right ahead.

I really see no need to keep going off-topic Ellez. You don't like car salespeople. Fine. Can we leave it at that?

Oh and FWIW, I do use the search function frequently but if you try and do a search for that particular post, without actually knowing WHO posted it (because I honestly couldn't remember), the entire thread still comes up! Just a little FYI.......

No, you can search posts instead of entire threads.

Use the search button at the top of the page, then click advanced search. Then you can select to search for a phrase by post instead of by topic. It is easy to do, and you will definitely get a lot more out of this forum if you learn to navigate it and read posts more fully before 'rebutting' them.

OK Greytmate, I GET that you're upset with me and that apparently in your eyes I am an imbecile. And that I have no idea what I'm talking about and should always agree with you and everybody else that posts and not have my own opinions. I do apologise most humbly and sincerely.

Now can we let it go please?

A "time waster" I would consider is someone who has no intentions of buying a puppy in the near future, but contacts breeders gathering information about their current litters regardless. I can understand breeders with a litter not wanting their time wasted by someone who may be interested in purchasing a puppy in two or three years time. :provoke:

A "time waster" I would consider is someone who has no intentions of buying a puppy in the near future, but contacts breeders gathering information about their current litters regardless. I can understand breeders with a litter not wanting their time wasted by someone who may be interested in purchasing a puppy in two or three years time. :wave:

Now, I wouldn't necessarily call that "time wasting". I have had people come & look at puppies who were quite honest about not being ready for a puppy right at that time. I'm happy for them to come at look at/play with the puppies - some have come back 2 or 3 litters later & bought a puppy. I'm always happy to spend time with people talking about my beloved breed - I could talk about Poodles all day :provoke:

Why do so many not want to sell/respond to people who have mobile numbers only and free email?

I do not respond to mobile numbers if they are left as the sole method of contact. In the first place I see no reason why I should foot the bill for what is 9 times out of 10 a lengthy conversation and anyway, I cannot dial mobiles from my home number by choice.

If somebody has sent me an email, then a reasonable assumption is that they have email capabilities and I am then more than happy to continue communication with them VIA email....up to a point because there will invariably be a need to speak with them sooner or later if our "relationship" is to continue. But by then, they will more than likely have rung me anyway or other mutually agreeable arrangements to speak will have been made.

I have no discrimination against free email addresses. I tend to use them as well so as to keep spam and viruses away from my private address books.

:provoke: I only have a mobile number....I figure I'm a pretty logical person and refuse to pay for a landline when I have a mobile....do I get points taken away because I'm logical?

I don't expect Breeders to call me though, I'm more than happy to call.

:provoke: I only have a mobile number....I figure I'm a pretty logical person and refuse to pay for a landline when I have a mobile....do I get points taken away because I'm logical?

I don't expect Breeders to call me though, I'm more than happy to call.

:wave: Nah, but you get points added cos you're happy to call the Breeders! :D

Why do so many not want to sell/respond to people who have mobile numbers only and free email? How is using a mobile any dodgier than using a home phone? Both can very easily be disconnected or the number changed.

I wouldn't NOT to respond to you in this situation, but I would be a little wary until we had established some rapport. With a landline I can tell approximately where you are, for example, if you have a 02 47xx xxxx number I know you are in Western Sydney, but with a mobile number you could be anywhere in the country, or in fact even OS with an Aust mobile number. If you are calling me from another state I want to know why you aren't dealing with the local breeders in that state. I had an enquiry from interstate recently and I checked with breeders in that state and they gave a very big 'STAY AWAY' from this buyer, as they had bought puppies from 3 different breeders, only to return the puppies in less than a week for a number of stupid reasons, such as they changed their mind about the colour of the puppy! Word had gotten out in that State, so they were now looking Interstate for a puppy. With just a mobile number you might tell me you are local to me, but I don't really know if that is true.

With free email accounts, I'm sure at least one enquiry for each litter I have for sale is from other breeders in my breed just wanting to find out what I'm telling puppy buyers and how much I'm charging. I always respond politely and answer all questions, including the cost, but I probably put a bit more info in the non-anonymous email requests.

A "time waster" I would consider is someone who has no intentions of buying a puppy in the near future, but contacts breeders gathering information about their current litters regardless. I can understand breeders with a litter not wanting their time wasted by someone who may be interested in purchasing a puppy in two or three years time. :laugh:

Some breeds can have a few years waiting for a dog and people may want to shop around to see what breeder they can get the earliest dog from.

I think if people let the breeder know they are investigating the breed then I personally wouldnt consider it time wasting, but then again I get an awful lot of people who ask questions who I know really have no intention of buying a puppy, they are just interested in the breed.

:(

A "time waster" I would consider is someone who has no intentions of buying a puppy in the near future, but contacts breeders gathering information about their current litters regardless. I can understand breeders with a litter not wanting their time wasted by someone who may be interested in purchasing a puppy in two or three years time. :)

Now, I wouldn't necessarily call that "time wasting". I have had people come & look at puppies who were quite honest about not being ready for a puppy right at that time. I'm happy for them to come at look at/play with the puppies - some have come back 2 or 3 litters later & bought a puppy. I'm always happy to spend time with people talking about my beloved breed - I could talk about Poodles all day :(

Perhaps some breeders have been caught before assuming someone was really keen to purchase and spent a lot of time with them in discussion etc etc and nothing comes of it. :) The message I get from it is not to contact the particular breeder unless you are seriously interested in purchasing from the advertised litter.

A "time waster" I would consider is someone who has no intentions of buying a puppy in the near future, but contacts breeders gathering information about their current litters regardless. I can understand breeders with a litter not wanting their time wasted by someone who may be interested in purchasing a puppy in two or three years time. :)

Some breeds can have a few years waiting for a dog and people may want to shop around to see what breeder they can get the earliest dog from.

I think if people let the breeder know they are investigating the breed then I personally wouldnt consider it time wasting, but then again I get an awful lot of people who ask questions who I know really have no intention of buying a puppy, they are just interested in the breed.

:(

Being honest with the breeder regarding your intentions is important I think.