Siberian Husky Pup... Help

Smash

If he is only 6 months just be careful with too much exercise on growing joints. Sorry but imho getting him to carry weight isn't probably a good idea until he is older. As esky said mental stimulation can be just as tiring for a young dog.

Sorry I didnt clarify. I did mean when he was older..

Hey Smash, sorry totally off topic from the training part but...SNAP! My young sibe boy is only 2 month older than your Indy and named Indie aswell. Your boy is stunning! Not having any trouble with training but Indy has the same fetish for clothes from the clothes line as your boy does, often find him and Bonnie playing tug with newly washed socks(strangly leave everything else alone except the socks). Little monsters,have odd socks everywhere now. Good luck with your training, hope everything works out with the trainers.

Our female was exact the same as this. No matter what we tried she would do her own thing. One think that helped her was getting a male friend for her but not everyone has this option. But in saying that I think at the same time she also grew out of it just after one year old. She is just under 2 now and is sooo calm and well behaved compared to what she was.

It may take time but stick to it hey as its well worth it at the end. Once they calm down they are the best dogs ever....

Hey Smash. It sounds to me like you have a typical case of "only child syndrome". Your pup has absolutely no respect for you and is getting away with being very naughty. You need to be really firm, assert some dominance over Indy and take back the control.

I could tell you exactly what to do to stop the biting ritual but I would probably be flamed for doing so!

Are you able to contact your boys breeder and request for help?

Sounds to me like you have a very normal adolescent siberian husky with NO respect for you, and very little discipline.

I wish you were closer - i'd help you in a heart beat.

I suggest giving Karen Bryant of Asryn Siberians a call (her details can be found in the breeder listings).

She is a very good trainer, and having Siberians, will be able to understand the problems your encountering.

Here is a tip though - bring him inside on lead. Make him remain calm, lay at your feet while you watch tv etc. He needs to learn that it's calm time when inside - not play and zoomie time! By tossing him out after 15 minutes of uncontrolable behaviour is not teaching him anything.

Hey, I actually bought Indy from Karen. I have no idea why I haven't contacted her, I'm an idiot! Thankyou for suggesting that, I'll do it right away. And the lead idea sounds great, will also do that next time he comes inside. I let him inside just before and he actually sat by me as I was working on an essay. It lasted for about 5 minutes until he was off exploring again, but I was impressed. :)

I also like the idea of giving your dog a job. My deceased husky Didge had the job of carrying stuff for us on our walks. We got her a 2nd hand doggy back pack for $10 and put a small amount of weight into it. ( I would fill powerade bottles, so I knew how much weight)

I'd never seen her prouder and happier than when she was wearing that.

Ha! That sounds so cute. I'll see if I can find a cheap pack around here.

Our female was exact the same as this. No matter what we tried she would do her own thing. One think that helped her was getting a male friend for her but not everyone has this option. But in saying that I think at the same time she also grew out of it just after one year old. She is just under 2 now and is sooo calm and well behaved compared to what she was.

It may take time but stick to it hey as its well worth it at the end. Once they calm down they are the best dogs ever....

I would love for Indy to have a friend but I think my family would kill me. At the moment I take him to my boyfriend's house occasionally where he can play with his two labradors. They get along great and whenever I bring him home he's nice and tired. And yeah, I know it's going to be worth it in the end. I think I just had this idealized notion about what my husky would be like and didn't consider the fact that he'd be a crazy pup first. No worries though, we'll get there.

And here's a photo I took on my phone the other day :)

post-33757-1273809536_thumb.jpg

Re biting, a little bit unusual but when he does this make a fist with your hand and put it in his mouth and in a firm voice say "no biting!"

First time you do this he will no doubt look at your like "wtf?"

The whole family needs to be constant with him with this.

Good Luck :)

My 2 mals also go thru a 'bitey' stage. During that period, i have a spray bottle with ACV+water in handy, n whenever they bite (even if the teeth have any contact with the skin) i would give them a squirt..Doesnt hurt, just taste/smell yucky :)

Even when they are play-fighting,sometimes it can get nasty, i bring out the same bottle..n away they run to hide! lol..

But i guess, whichever that works for u..and Persistence is the Key to Success..!

Good Luck!