Why?

Shmurps

How can you rehome a dog that's been with you for 12+ years? I actually do not understand how you can physically do that, I would never be able to do it in a million years :thumbsup: A dog that's been loyal to you and your family for so long - it's just not fair.

On a better note, I knew a police K9 officer that had his old patrol dog who was nearly 13. Every night he would put on his boots and belt and do a patrol with his old fellow around the block. He said mentally the dog still had it but with age his body was failing him for real work, but being his main man for so many years, in retirement the old dog needed to feel he was still useful and had a purpose in life and couldn't leave his old mate to rot away in the back yard. The officer told me that it was hard enough putting his time into a new dog and to get rid of his old boy was unthinkable.

I can't imagine how anyone can discard and old dog as they deserve to live their life out with the same love and care they enjoyed from the beginning.

Edited by Black Bronson

I saw a notice up at a local market - someone wanting a home for their 2 year old crossbreed because they had moved & the yard was not big enough. I was SOOOO tempted to write a comment on it along the lines of "didn't you THINK about that before you moved"

It really annoys me - the attitude that dogs are expendable. :thumbsup:

I think we all should be careful when passing judgment - as a renter, I can appreciate that sometimes you get forced into 'taking what you can get' when it comes to housing; you may not feel you have a choice. At least those people were trying to rehome, rather than euthanasing or worse - dumping!

I am sure those ppl didn't feel their dogs were 'expendable', they prob thought they had no other option and it was hard enough without the harsh judgment of others. If you're lucky enough to be able to afford your own home, great; if you aren't - sometimes the worst happens.

I saw a notice up at a local market - someone wanting a home for their 2 year old crossbreed because they had moved & the yard was not big enough. I was SOOOO tempted to write a comment on it along the lines of "didn't you THINK about that before you moved"

It really annoys me - the attitude that dogs are expendable. :thumbsup:

I think we all should be careful when passing judgment - as a renter, I can appreciate that sometimes you get forced into 'taking what you can get' when it comes to housing; you may not feel you have a choice. At least those people were trying to rehome, rather than euthanasing or worse - dumping!

I am sure those ppl didn't feel their dogs were 'expendable', they prob thought they had no other option and it was hard enough without the harsh judgment of others. If you're lucky enough to be able to afford your own home, great; if you aren't - sometimes the worst happens.

I don't know...........in the early 90's, we kept our dog in a rental that didn't permit pets, just didn't tell them and took the dog to mum's place at inspection time :champagne:

Unfortunately, dumping the oldies is very very common. I have here with me at the moment, a nearly 13 year old tiny pom x chi girl, a roughly 14 year old pom boy, a roughly 12 year old nearly blind chi x girl, a little maltese girl with attitude about to turn 12. All left at the pound for whatever reasons..

Have a look at Seniors Rescue. Very very sad, and they are so gorgeous and loving.... but best of all, tend to be quiet :o because they sleep all day.... terribly hard to look after NOT.

EM

I just rehomed my oldest. She was not getting on well with the younger dogs and acting depressed. A family who already had an older dog . . . a pup they got from me seven years ago . . . came by asking if I might have any dogs available. The old girl loves children but isn't so fond of pups. She loves people period. I miss her deeply. Her snoring has been background to my sleep for nine years. But I think it's selfish to hold on to a dog when they aren't doing well in the environment you have to offer. It's lovely to talk with the new family and hear that my nine year old is doing zoomies with their seven year old, following the kids around all day, and that her biggest problem is that the bed is too high so she needs help to get up on it to sleep.

Please hold back on judgement.

I personally find that understandable. You made an effort to place her with a family you knew well and who also had an older dog, and who you were comfortable they would give her a happy home.

What I don't understand are people who surrender their geriatric animals to pounds - whatever the reason. AFAIK they could at least find someone they knew who could take the dog rather than just dump them, scared and alone, where they will most likely be PTS. I don't care what reason they have. At least do it the right way.

Possibly 'time to move on' could mean they have to go into a nursing home.

Could possibly be a planned suicide :hug: Just kidding.

I am glad these people are attempting to find this dog a home as so many oldies are just dumped at the pound.

I know someone who rang me the other week desperate to find a home for thier chickens since they moved and can't keep them, only to find out they got a kitten this week. :hug:

:hug: Kittens and chickens have totally different needs and wants - apples and orange, you can't compare.

I know someone who rang me the other week desperate to find a home for thier chickens since they moved and can't keep them, only to find out they got a kitten this week. :hug:

:hug: Kittens and chickens have totally different needs and wants - apples and orange, you can't compare.

In this instance the person also has a neglected almost 3yo dog and a toddler who she got the kitten for as an early birthday present. She rang everyone in tears having to find a home for the chicken because she rents and couldn't take them but then turns around and adds another animal to the family who she may or may not be able to take when she has to change rentals again. (More of a personal vent and but not too dissimilar to the topic of the forum as a few months ago she was ringing around trying to find a home for the dog since she found a rental she liked that didn't allow pets)