Snake Aversion Training?

I went out to hang the washing today and Banjo was rolling around on his back with an almost dead snake in his mouth. :laugh:

He gave it to me no worries at all but I really need him to not touch them in the first place. I like the harmless ones and don't want to risk him getting bitten by a venomous one. I have heard of snake aversion training. Does anyone know much about it or where I can find out more?

Thanks

We used a rubber snake attached to fishing line to teach our dog to stay away from them. I didn't think it would work because I thought the dog would not associate a rubber snake and a real snake as being the same. But it did seem to do the job. She never gets close to snakes anymore, just barks at them from a distance.

It was a keel back. We have a lot of them here and they help to keep down the toad numbers. We also get browns, yellow faced whip snakes, marsh snakes and red belly blacks so don't want him to make a habit of it.

Magstar, What did you do to make her avoid the rubber snake?

We made the rubber snake move using the fishing line, then if she went any where near it yelled a big scary "leave! Snake!" . The idea was to make the "snake" a scary thing to her so that she would be wary of them. We did that every now and then for a while.

I'm not in any way saying that it was a great technique, but it did the job for us!

Thanks Nekhbet. I did some googling and it seems that is exactly how it is done. I don't think my timing, handling and body language reading skills are good enough to use an e-collar fairly and successfully..