Another First Timer Dslr Buyer

:ange:

I know there are a few topics around which I've had a read but I still don't really know what I need or want..

I want a camera that will take good moving shots (dog/people/etc) as it will do a few dog shows.. probably the most important feature I'm looking for!

I also enjoy macro shots..

Do alot of DSLR have underwater housing available? I don't know I'd trust myself to take a fancy pants camera underwater but would perhaps consider the option once I've done more research (have munched through 2x Olympus tough 'waterproof' cameras :confused: hence why I don't trust myself as I have a knack of breaking TOUGH cameras....)

I currently have an Olympus SP590UZ which is just a fancy point and shoot (26x optical zoom) but I'm still not happy with the quality of photos I get from it..

Pricing wise I can probably go up around $1200

I went to a camera place and they seemed to be pushing ther Sony range, which I've never used that brand and haven't heard that many people using that brand (I think it was the A350 he was really pushing). Canon seem to be a popular choice..?

Am also happy buying grey imports from DWI or similar as I bought my current Olympus from there and have been happy with quality and support etc.

Anyway sorry for another "which DSLR do I get post" but I am a bit overwhelmed by the choice!!!

OK for $1200 you are probably limiting yourself to some of the lower end dSLR cameras, and throw in a waterproof case and you've got nothing left for lenses.

There are many brands you can go for, many choosing Nikon or Canon, but Pentax, Sony etc can good, you just lose some of the better lenses designed for the main 2.

For what you are looking for, I'd seriously consider the Nikon D90 with an 18-200 VR and the 50mm 1.8 - the bad news is that this will cost you $1650 plus delivery

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...?idProduct=2415

The D5000 on the Nikon is going to be more suitable to your budget but it won't be as fast to focus in door, in low light or on fast moving objects. The 18-200 is pretty good, you can also look at getting the body only along with a Tamron 28-300 for extra reach, but indoors or low light at the long end it is really going to hurt. The D90 can help for a bit, but not too much.

The 50mm 1.8 will be great indoors and is also fantastic for some macro and close up work.

Underwater housing for the D90 starts at about US$1500, so you can pretty much rule that out :thumbsup:

I'm sure a Canon person will be alnog in a minute to recommend their options :champagne:

Good luck in your hunt

I can only speak about Sony because that is what I brought, I started with the A350 and have now upgraded to the A700. I am very happy with my camera but if I had my time again I would go with Canon or Nikon just due to the lens choice. Once yu start with one brand its very expensive if you want to change to a different one.

I was just looking at some photos a friend of mine took with his D90 and they were incredible and the colour was way better then mine.

I went to Teds camera house when I brought mine and they let me take home three cameras for a week each to try out. If you cant do that go and handle different ones in a store so you can see what feels right for you.

Good luck

Thanks for the feedback!

Scnauzerboy, that camera looks really good on paper I might have to go and see it how it looks and feels as well.. it is expensive though :thumbsup: eep.. didn't realise underwater housing was that expensive.. Yep can rule that one out for the immediate time being.

What about a Canon 450D? reasonably priced and the photos I've seen come from this type of camera have been quite good for the standard I'm after.. It seems like it would be a good one to start on for a beginner? And being a Canon would be abe to buy better lenses as I progress I presume..

Most cameras will have a macro feature don't they? I'm not looking to take photos so close I can see the cracks in people skin, just so I can take a close up of certain still objects..

Just a little excited..

The 450D and all the rebel line are designed for people wanting to start out. Some people never get out of auto but when you're ready the camera has lots of other features to allow you some creativity. It's not the camera that makes it macro, it's the lenses.

I started with a 400D, the model down from the 450D and it was fantastic. I would've been happy to keep it except that I wanted really fast auto focus that would allow me to capture sequences of my whippets in full flight. I got some pretty good shots with it all the same.

I think the 450D would be an excellent camera.

Here's a thread all about it showing what it can do.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=781509

and from flickr

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_digital_rebel_xsi/

Edited by Kirislin