Boxer Suitable For Obedience/agility Sports?

Boxers are graceful and fun-loving dogs. If you like the dog put that fact first, and put whatever activity second.

It doesn't have to be a puppy either. Sorry dogdude but starting from scratch with a puppy is no guarantee

really. I know several cases of expensive pure bred pups who've turned out to be disappointing

Luvsablue, most pound dogs are in there for behavioral reasons, and bad owners that caused them. Sure there are success stories, but if you are serious about odedience trialling at the highest level then why would you start out with a possible basket case. To promote and nurture drive properly, it is highly advantagious to do so from puppyhood. From my understanding, the OP wants a dog suited for dog sports?

not true. There are so many reasons for dogs being in the pound. Alot of the time its the owners fault. Im not saying there arnt dogs with behaviour problems in the pound but you cant genralise. I have seen amazing dogs come out of the pound.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen amazing dogs come out of the pound.

:thumbsup: Agreed. We have tested a number of dogs at Hawkesbury over the last week who would be perfect for dog sports. None surrendered for behavioural problems, nor can we see any evidence of any serious issues.

I agree. I trial staffies and apparently because they are low and heavy they arnt "ideal" but you know what..........my dogs and I love the sport and we dont care. As luvsablu said if you love the dog that is the first and most important factor. I started agility after taking my girl to obedience and watching all the agility people and thinking "we are gonna do that one day" At trials you will see all types of dogs. The boxers I have seen are very enerjetic and thats what you want. Some dogs dont go well like neo mastiffs and extra large dogs that are lovely and placid and happy just to cruise along but if you have one of these dogs your probably pretty similar...very laid back. Good luck Im happy to hear new people entering the sport :thumbsup:

Have you read this :thumbsup: .

http://www.staffordmall.com/agilitybreed.htm

I agree. I trial staffies and apparently because they are low and heavy they arnt "ideal" but you know what..........my dogs and I love the sport and we dont care. As luvsablu said if you love the dog that is the first and most important factor. I started agility after taking my girl to obedience and watching all the agility people and thinking "we are gonna do that one day" At trials you will see all types of dogs. The boxers I have seen are very enerjetic and thats what you want. Some dogs dont go well like neo mastiffs and extra large dogs that are lovely and placid and happy just to cruise along but if you have one of these dogs your probably pretty similar...very laid back. Good luck Im happy to hear new people entering the sport :eek:

Have you read this :( .

Thanks Tiggy I love love love this and it explains my girl to a T!

I agree. I trial staffies and apparently because they are low and heavy they arnt "ideal" but you know what..........my dogs and I love the sport and we dont care. As luvsablu said if you love the dog that is the first and most important factor. I started agility after taking my girl to obedience and watching all the agility people and thinking "we are gonna do that one day" At trials you will see all types of dogs. The boxers I have seen are very enerjetic and thats what you want. Some dogs dont go well like neo mastiffs and extra large dogs that are lovely and placid and happy just to cruise along but if you have one of these dogs your probably pretty similar...very laid back. Good luck Im happy to hear new people entering the sport :eek:

I agree. I trial staffies and apparently because they are low and heavy they arnt "ideal" but you know what..........my dogs and I love the sport and we dont care. As luvsablu said if you love the dog that is the first and most important factor. I started agility after taking my girl to obedience and watching all the agility people and thinking "we are gonna do that one day" At trials you will see all types of dogs. The boxers I have seen are very enerjetic and thats what you want. Some dogs dont go well like neo mastiffs and extra large dogs that are lovely and placid and happy just to cruise along but if you have one of these dogs your probably pretty similar...very laid back. Good luck Im happy to hear new people entering the sport :laugh:

Have you read this :laugh: .