Can Anyone Please Recommend A Trainer/behaviourist In Melbourne East?

Hi all,

After having recently moved house - we are now having serious issues with our crew (11yo Weim, 18mth Boxer X Bullmastiff and 1yr Great Dane).

We adopted the Boxer in January and introduced her to the pack in our previous home, and apart from a few food-related scuffles (which we have addressed in now feeding all separately), they all got on relatively well. They were all together at the previous address for 3 months.

The weim and the boxer X pretty much 'co-existed' - weren't too chummy but was no apparent issues there, and the Boxer and Dane got on like an absolute house on fire. We were so impressed with how tolerant our new addition was of a bouncy goofy Dane and were thrilled at just how well the pack seemed to be operating.

Fast-forward three months and we've since moved and this has brought about a whole new level of aggression from the Boxer - pinning the Weim (who had been previously the dominant of the pack) down to the ground by her throat and mauling the dane's nose.

There have been three of these incidents in the last week.

I've been in Sydney dealing with family issues over the last month, so will be on the first flight back to Melbourne this weekend. I will be taking her to the vet to eliminate any underlying health issues, but is it a fair assumption that moving house has brought about a new pack re-structure? She was such a sweet, tolerant and snuggly girl I just don't know what has happened. :laugh:

If anyone knows of anyone who may be able to shed some light on the situation it would be great. Sadly, money is somewhat of an issue for us at present as i'm not currently working due to illness (as much as I love her, had I known that my job situation would happen we would not have adopted her), and my partner being an adult apprentice on $12/hour. We love her dearly and would hate to see things escalate further simply because we're struggling on the financial front at the moment. :rofl:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

post-1327-1273575271_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pheebs

There could be a number of reasons why the situation has escalated- the most important thing is to act without delay- these sorts of things tend to escalate over time. In the meantime, remove any resources that could create guarding- i would be feeding dogs separately, not leaving them unattended with toys etc and avoiding having the dogs in close proximity in times of high arousal- when they are very excited etc. The vet check is a good idea as well.

We do consult in Melbourne's east- website in signature if you'd like to email us through there.

So,

Boxer is now 21 months old.

Dane is now 15 months old.

And the Weim is getting older.

Challenging for hierarchy is my first impression. Potentially recognising the Dane's developmental phase as a challenge as well.

I agree with Cosmolo regards keeping the dogs from being able to aggressively compete with one another.

YOUR leadership is much needed to be recognised by your 'pack'. It will be your strength in leadership that will give you any chance of control over any and all of them when it is most required. I'd suggest you "pull the reins in" and not give an inch. Train the dogs, have fun with them, and so on ..... but make it very clear about whose terms they are working under.

Glad you're getting a Vet check on the older Weim - it's always worthwhile, although in the small amount of description that's been given, it sounds more as though your Boxer is at that age of vying for the 'top dog' position amongst the others.

Yes - a change in the 'pack' such as moving home (and/or people moving in; moving out; etc - your absence for a month can also have had some effect, and even perhaps your emotional state, given that you've had family "issues" to deal with) can unsettle things and can be the catalyst to these sorts of things occurring, but I think also it is possible that it was going to occur even without moving, at some stage, simply because of development phases your dogs are going through. It might not have been quite as overt or aberrant as what you are now witnessing, but it is a case of "who knows?". Main thing is that YOU put the dogs in a position where you say "NOT ON!!" and that the dogs are aware of your disapproval, and more importantly, respect you enough to give a toss about your disapproval. And of course that you take steps to prevent serious injury amongst them.

Edited by Erny