How Do You Walk Your Dog?

Besides how boring would it be for a scent hound to not be allowed to scent on a casual walk unless I said ok. If I didn't mind having a dog who likes to put her nose to the ground I wouldn't own a scent hound. LOL.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care were they walk as long as they don't pull (my girl and Lab are both brilliant with this, my older male sammie is an ass but we are getting there), I like them to be slightly ahead of me so I can see what they are doing and don't trip on them.

BB I understand being stricter with dogs who are pushier or more dominant or a dog you are having problems with but Nekhbets post was referring to dogs in general. She said if you don't have your dog by your side you have little or not control at all, I was simply pointing out IMO that is not always the case.

If I want 110% focus and precision I will call my dog into heel position. I have no desire to have her walk like that all the time.

I would tend to train any dog for the same result as my GSD's when walking I guess............ we don't do a competition heel for a relaxed walk, mine look around and enjoy the surroundings, but they stay in position along side. I think you do have more control with the dog along side, but if that's your regime, you will have best control where the dog is trained to be. If the dog is trained to walk ahead, that's probably ok for them too perhaps???. Mine are trained Nekhbet style, and they are magic on leash, a 5 year old child can walk them :)

Besides how boring would it be for a scent hound to not be allowed to scent on a casual walk unless I said ok. If I didn't mind having a dog who likes to put her nose to the ground I wouldn't own a scent hound. LOL.

GSD's don't mind a sniff or two or three.............. and when they crack a good scent and bolt your shoulder socket gets a good work out along with leash burns on the fingers :) Walks like this are not very pleasant then "CAT" prey drive :) GSD dragging you down the path skinning your knees and elbows.............been there done that :cry: So control becomes part and parcel with these dogs for me anyway and give one an inch in training when young, they take the whole leash and you with it :laugh:

I think it doesn't really matter where they walk. I know someone with three dogs and he expects them all to walk at the side because he says he hates it when they walk all over the place or up ahead. He says he doesn't know how anyone stands it. I can appreciate that, because our dogs rarely get walked by one handler and so we never taught them not to meander all over the place. There was no need. They come in close when asked, leave things when asked and so on. The odd time someone does walk them both on their own they can be a pain. I put one leash on my waist belt and hold the other and that with verbal directions generally sorts the mess out, but sometimes it takes a little managing to get into the groove. I sometimes wish I'd taught them a specific place to walk. My mum has three dogs she walks on her own and they all have their "spot" to walk in. Pyry takes the left in heel or slightly behind, Shani takes the right, and Jill walks a little ahead. They are certainly allowed to wander around and sniff, but they rarely get tangled because they mostly stick to their spots.

You just have 'em where you find it most comfortable and least annoying. :) It's just a walk. As long as everyone is getting along and behaving to the walker's standards I don't see why it should matter.

ETA Both my dogs tend to go nuts if they see a cat running past on walks. That's why I taught 'em alternative behaviours. We play "Look At That" with the Lappie and cue a tug game with the Vall. Problem solved.

Edited by corvus

I don't care where my dogs walk as long as they aren't pulling. I don't mind if they sniff (I do own a scent hound after all) but I also expect that when I give a command (i.e. look or heel) that they will comply. I also don't like excessive marking and when I stop or say wait or hold the leash tight I expect them to stop and wait for my ok to continue.

Me too. I own 2 beagles and so a walk without sniffing is just not going to happen. They get corrected if they pull, and if they pull excessively to get to a smell, we bypass it and I check them in to my side until they realise that pulling like that gets them no where.

They get 5-10 secs at each smell then get told to 'leave, come on" and they do move on (to the next smell lol)

Mitch gets let off at the park, he waits just inside the gate for me to unclip the lead from his harness, looks back at me for the "go" and hoons off. When we get to the other side, where there is no gate, I stop about 3m away from the edge of the park, he trots over to me, without having to call him, and puts his back/bum to me knowing the clip goes back on the harness. He's a good boy. :)

Daisy walks on a loose leash even when scenting. My sibe doesn't mind a sniff or two or three but it is nothing like Daisys scent drive! Lol.

You have trained Daisy for what you need...............seen your vids she is very good :heart:, she's a trained dog essentially like mine are too and depends on what you train for with general walking really.

It's true in my experience, it's a quicker, easier process to teach a dog to walk nicely at heel. Reactive and high-drive dogs (especially) should learn to walk at heel, when asked, with lots of distractions. But it's not the only position I would like my dogs to walk and I want them to be paying attention (not just with their eyes) when they are anywhere, not just beside me.

Daisy walks on a loose leash even when scenting. My sibe doesn't mind a sniff or two or three but it is nothing like Daisys scent drive! Lol.

You have trained Daisy for what you need...............seen your vids she is very good :(, she's a trained dog essentially like mine are too and depends on what you train for with general walking really.

thanks :doh: Daisy doesn't scent when we are training but to get that level of focus we have to train drive. I honestly believe there is no way we could have a full half hour or hour long walk without her scenting because obviously I don't want her in drive when we are just walking down the street. And hey she gives me pretty good focus when we are training, I am happy for her to have walks be time for her to do what beagles like to do. Within reason obviously :heart:

Edited by huski

I'm with Nekhbet. I prefer my dog to be walking next to me.

When I had my staffy x she was a shocker unless I had her strictly at heel, she was a very high drive DA dog and it was the only way I could manage her, despite much training.

When I got my GR, who is much calmer and more biddable, I initially felt that I didnt need to be so "controlling" and so allowed her a little lattitude. I have found that this just makes her pull on walks and her "heel" position is too far forward for me to easily signal her during training, so I am now working to get her back beside me at all times.

I cant see that if you keep your dog beside you it hinders their enjoyment of the walk- the area they cover is exactly the same, the pace is the same, the only difference is that they are beside you and must adhere to that rule. For me, the benefit of that is huge.

One thing I have found recently though is that I have been a bit heavy handed with the lead, I had been keeping it tight (had developed into an unconscious habit :( ) and seeing little improvement. My teacher at training suggested I ease up and only give little reminder tugs (der- I knew that! :heart: )- yep, she was right, there was less pulling. :doh:

Dee I don't think that having your dog walk beside you always hinders their enjoyment, most of the time Micha walks beside me and Daisy often does too. My point is tha letting your dog walk a little in front does not mean you have little or no control, or that your dog should keep his head up and only scent on command the whole time. Like I said I understand why some people do it, but it does not mean it's necessary for all dogs :heart:

Edited by huski

I like my dog to walk next to me on a loose leash. But recently in an effort to improve his recall I've been bringing an extendable leash on our walks too. When we get to the walking track I swap him over to that and let him have free reign (still no pulling though) and call him to me every now and then. The first time I did it, I was expecting him to just go "Whoo! Freedom!" and not pay too much attention to me. I was pleasantly surprised when he kept looking at me and checking that it was really okay for him to be in front and further away from me. It occured to me that he might do that because he is so accustomed to walking next to me and following my movements?

Dee I don't think that having your dog walk beside you always hinders their enjoyment, most of the time Micha walks beside me and Daisy often does too. My point is tha letting your dog walk a little in front does not mean you have little or no control, or that your dog should keep his head up and only scent on command the whole time. Like I said I understand why some people do it, but it does not mean it's necessary for all dogs :(

Ah yes, I remember you saying that- sorry, I just got distracted. (as usual! :doh: )

The conversation reminded me that I always mutter to my dogs "dont be so keen to get ahead- its the same speed up there!!" :heart:

I lwt my dogs walk where ever they like as long as they dont pull and get tangled with each other. The way I see it, the walks are for their benefit and enjoyment so I may as well let them sniff and investigate what they like.

I am a bit confused though. What does a walk have to do with training? When we train, we train, I am not sure how their positioning on a walk would affect their training?

One thing I have found recently though is that I have been a bit heavy handed with the lead, I had been keeping it tight (had developed into an unconscious habit :heart: )

I think it's kind of human nature to do a bit of that. With my last dog I was starting to consciously tell myself to let the leash go. I would pull on it without even being aware of it. I felt like it was just making tense situations with other dogs (we had a lot of territorial dog issues back home) worse. I was going to teach my next dog with the leash tied to my waist so I'd learn to stop being so dependent on it, but ended up using long lines instead. Did the same with Erik.

I can think of plenty of instances where working dogs need to be in front - sled dogs, tracking/SAR dogs, police dogs, PP dogs would all work in front of the handler at some stage but the handler still has control.

I'm talking about the average pet dog. And when you think about these dogs they have a reasonable degree of charge of the situation and a lot of training behind it so really it is not applicable in this discussion.

I see what Nekhbet is saying but it depends on a lot more than just where they walk.

Yes it does depend on more then where they walk but I have a belief that being out in front is not a desirable position - and when it comes to clients dogs with problems the proof is in the pudding. Put them to the side, and by this I do not mean a formal heel, and it helps then focus on their owners, listen and learn more effectively. Particularly when every out of control, narky turd dog I meet is always out in front of its owner as well it doesnt help my opinion.

I used to walk 4 dogs at a time up the country roads, all on lead and they were 2 on each side. Cars, horses, roos, nothing meant me being dragged over and considering I had combined weight of about 140kg on the leads they could have easily done it. Let them get ahead, competition ensues. Keep them at my side (and that is not a formal heel, that is simply do not walk so your body if further forward then mine and stay near my side nicely)

Verbal directions? I talk to mine all the time. This way, come on, quick, this side, stop, wait, hold up, hang about, leave it, no playing on leash!, cross the road.... I didn't even reward most of it. Some of it has translated moderately to off leash walking as well, that which is useful. It's not bomb proof by any means and it all disappears if a cat runs past, but then we have other things for those situations that do work.

The only reason your dogs know where to go is from constant commanding until something works - so really they are not paying attention because they want to, it is because they have to. I mean when the dog consciously pays attention to your body language and follows you without having to be constantly told - and that cannot be done if they are ahead, then they have their own agenda unless you have specifically encouraged walking ahead (why I dont know I find it hideously annoying). If I change direction my dog is there, if I slow, they slow too, if a cat shoots out or a dog lunges at us we stay calm and ignore it. I dont have to talk to my dogs constantly, the only time they get spoken to is to be commanded into position if needs be or verbal praise for behaving. It makes recall easier since they are already choosing not being made to pay attention and being rewarded for it. I let them have a sniff here and there but if I let my Malinois put her face to the ground we would be tracking for kilometers. A dog doesnt have to have its face pressed to the ground in order to smell what is going on by the way, their noses are sensitive enough to pick up most of the scents walking nicely.

Maybe I'm just speshal. I much prefer my way of walking, calm dog, easy walk, high level of predictability.

I am a bit confused though. What does a walk have to do with training? When we train, we train, I am not sure how their positioning on a walk would affect their training?

With me, I was finding that the laissez faire way of walking seemed to be carrying over to Honey's heeling.

She was not realising that heel meant by-my-heel so then, for example, a stand signal was difficult because she was too far forward of me.

I feel I need to maintain consistency to reinforce her training.

The longer we train together Im sure it will all fall into place and maybe then I can revise the casual walking.

Also I walk her with the kids a lot, so quite often we arent walking at a fast pace and having her stay back with me is very helpful.

One thing I have found recently though is that I have been a bit heavy handed with the lead, I had been keeping it tight (had developed into an unconscious habit :hug: )

I think it's kind of human nature to do a bit of that. With my last dog I was starting to consciously tell myself to let the leash go. I would pull on it without even being aware of it. I felt like it was just making tense situations with other dogs (we had a lot of territorial dog issues back home) worse. I was going to teach my next dog with the leash tied to my waist so I'd learn to stop being so dependent on it, but ended up using long lines instead. Did the same with Erik.

I was kind of shocked when the instructor called me on it! I hadnt been conscious of it at all! It had become my fallback position when she pulled- usually when we are crossing roads, then it became when heeling at training. Needless to say I am very much aware now! :(

I much prefer my way of walking, calm dog, easy walk, high level of predictability.

And what I fail to see is how having my dog sometimes walk maybe a meter ahead of me means that my walks aren't easy, predictable or my dog isn't calm :hug: