Are There Any 'must Have' Toys For A Puppy?

goldee

My golden retriever pup arrives in just a few days!! Im too excited. :thumbsup:

Im getting told that she will chew everything in sight and what dog toys i have bought wont last and that i dont know what i am in for. I realize she is a pup and will chew on things!

I have bought a few toys - some 'teething' toys per the label for puppies (it says it helps their teeth/gums), some tennis balls, rope toys, some fleecy rope toys (it says it helps clean their teeth) and a few others. Most i bought from the RSPCA. I know most of these arn't going to last long. When the time comes i'll upgrade to something bigger/longer lasting for her.

Am i missing any items? Or are there any 'must haves' to get?

I have a few things to tie me over for the first few weeks and then when i get her and get her settled in etc, i can get things that are better for her and her personality etc.

thanks!

My goldies favourite toy is her teddy, she also loves squeaky toys but cant really have them because my JRT destroys anything that makes a noise, the other toys she likes to munch on are the dumbell shaped ones, easier for her to hold I guess, Ive got the dental ones with the cog that moves around each end, its supposed to clean their teeth, you can get them from Coles

Id definitely get a teddy or two for her, just get them from the cheap store but make sure you remove any hard eyes or noses before she gets them

My goldies favourite toy is her teddy, she also loves squeaky toys but cant really have them because my JRT destroys anything that makes a noise, the other toys she likes to munch on are the dumbell shaped ones, easier for her to hold I guess, Ive got the dental ones with the cog that moves around each end, its supposed to clean their teeth, you can get them from Coles

Id definitely get a teddy or two for her, just get them from the cheap store but make sure you remove any hard eyes or noses before she gets them

Thanks! I was going to get a teddy for her but was told it was a silly!

My old dog was a JRT too!

No! Lexi loves her teddy, she is sleeping with him right now...actually, she is sleeping on him lol

At first all I bought her was boring 'Tess safe' toys, and she wasnt interested in them, but as soon as I brought Teddy home, her eyes lit up, it was love at first sight

My golden loves any kind of plush toy. He's rarely seen without something in his mouth. I look for strong toys without flappy bits (little ears/arms/tails are very attractive to pull off the toy), no plastic eyes and have stocked up on quite a few stuffingless toys. He's not a big chewer but when he does decide to chew standard toys don't last long.

Be careful with tennis balls, the fuzz can wear a dog's teeth down and if you have a strong chewer, a tennis ball won't last long and there's the chance bits of the ball will get swallowed.

Tennis balls are the best toy for my JRT because she is such a strong chewer, her main mission is to crack the seam and split it in half, provided you inspect them and throw them away when they become too chewed to call safe they are fine, and cheap too lol, you can get them for 50c each usually

Awesome, thanks. Will look into some teddies for her!

Oh the tennis balls are more for her to chase, throw etc, not really to chew on, even if they are kept until she's older.

Ive seen big plush teddies in pet stores like Petstock (they just sell supplies, not pets), but they are rather expensive!!

I am in the same situation as you, except my pup isn't ready until July! Isn't getting a puppy exciting? :thumbsup:

What about treat dispenser toys like:

Kong Biscuit Ball (link for picture)

Activity Treat Ball (link for picture)

Buster Cube Dog Toy (link for picture)

Those type of toys aim to mentally stimulate your dog, so it stops your dog from destroying the toy by distracting it.

I am thinking of getting puzzle-solving toys for my pup, like this and this.

edit: I've noticed that you haven't mentioned any Kong toys (link for picture) - most people recommend them and they're durable too.

Good luck!

Edited by quickbrownfox

I am in the same situation as you, except my pup isn't ready until July! Isn't getting a puppy exciting? :thumbsup:

Kong Biscuit Ball (link for picture)

Buster Cube Dog Toy (link for picture)

Those type of toys aim to mentally stimulate your dog, so it stops your dog from destroying the toy by distracting it.

I am thinking of getting interactive toys for my pup, like this and this.

edit: I've noticed that you haven't mentioned any Kong toys (link for picture) - most people recommend them and they're durable too.

Good luck!

Thanks! what pup are you getting? Only a few days now and can't wait!

Ohhh, woops, i do have a kong! A puppy one so it'll only be good for a while i guess. Ive ordered a few things from World for Pets so hopefully they'll be good!

But if the toys dont keep her entertained i might look into those ones you listed! Im not sure if she will be easy going and relaxed pup or just a ball of energy and getting into anything she can!

Thanks! what pup are you getting? Only a few days now and can't wait!

Ohhh, woops, i do have a kong! A puppy one so it'll only be good for a while i guess. Ive ordered a few things from World for Pets so hopefully they'll be good!

But if the toys dont keep her entertained i might look into those ones you listed! Im not sure if she will be easy going and relaxed pup or just a ball of energy and getting into anything she can!

I'm getting an Airedale terrier, which is going to be a new experience for me. They are apparently very clever, headstrong and mischievous dogs, so I have to try to be one step ahead of them all the time. :D

:thumbsup: Glad you got a Kong! This article gives some suggestions of how/what you can fill your Kong with.

Take care when playing fetch with a tennis ball, my friend lost her finger and her dogs life when the tennis ball got lodged in the dogs throat and she couldn't get it out. Any ball toys should be to big to fit in the throat and/or have holes in.

Hrmm.. my puppy's favourite toys... empty toilet rolls, plastic bottles, cardboard boxes, pieces of rope, socks, and my older dog :laugh:

Ditto!! infact mine is wearing a jacket tonight so Im surprised Lexi hasnt decided Tess is more fun to jump on than any other time

Take care when playing fetch with a tennis ball, my friend lost her finger and her dogs life when the tennis ball got lodged in the dogs throat and she couldn't get it out. Any ball toys should be to big to fit in the throat and/or have holes in.

omg, thats horrible.

Thanks for that, i'll keep that in mind.

I find my puppy loves any cardboard materials. Like tissue box and toilet rolls etc. You can put dog treats into the tissue rolls and fold both sides of the rolls. Your puppy will find it fun to roll and get the treats out and also chewing on the toilet roll.

Kong is good as well but my puppy enjoys his chew toys more.

Ropes and strings are his favourites.

I find my puppy loves any cardboard materials. Like tissue box and toilet rolls etc. You can put dog treats into the tissue rolls and fold both sides of the rolls. Your puppy will find it fun to roll and get the treats out and also chewing on the toilet roll.

Kong is good as well but my puppy enjoys his chew toys more.

Ropes and strings are his favourites.

thanks!

i do remember our old dog (JRT) was amused with toilet rolls. She was never one for chasing balls or fetching....however she went bananas over a slipper - stuck her head in it, bum up and pushed it around the house, or shook it so hard im suprised she didn't knock her self out!

I would highly recommend the activity treat ball. I didn't crate train my puppy - he sleeps in the laundry. He is very food motivated. I used this ball the first week to distract him of a night in the laundry. Now I use it quite a bit inside when he wants a play. It is a great device for amusing puppies! I also have a soft version....

It doesn't matter how many toys you buy. The favourite chew toys will be your shoes, slippers, plastic bottles (half-filled with water makes a great toy), cardboard boxes, books (if you leave them lying around), newspapers (a very satisfying mess!), pillows, cushions, your clothes, your hands, feet, ears, the furniture, etc. Enjoy!

It doesn't matter how many toys you buy. The favourite chew toys will be your shoes, slippers, plastic bottles (half-filled with water makes a great toy), cardboard boxes, books (if you leave them lying around), newspapers (a very satisfying mess!), pillows, cushions, your clothes, your hands, feet, ears, the furniture, etc. Enjoy!

Haha! Our puppy is 13 weeks and so naughty sometimes. He knows not to chew cables now but we can't understand why he we find him trying to gnaw on furniture, walls, the outdoor deck, his crate, his blanket, his bed etc when he has sooooooooo many chew toys :laugh: And worse, for a horrible time *we* were his favourite chew toy :D