Puppies First Vet Visit

goldee

FB - Yes it can, but considering that they dont take the dogs along on the first week...that strikes me as really odd, this means the pup will only have 3 weeks of 'fun at the vets'

I think the obedience place is the better option IMHO, Im sure the pups will still have play and fun, but they will have more room to have fun, and hopefully the instructors will match pups well so they dont get too scared of the other dog

Id go to the obedience place...considering that the first week you dont take your pup to the vets...tells me they are just interested in selling their products

How does that mean they just want to sell products? I know of obedience clubs and pet dog training places that are NOT at vets and do not sell produc that do first week without pups. In my last 12 months of taking classes I changed to doing them this way too.

The reason - it is really hard for the owners to concentrate on information while also trying to deal with a bouncy puppy or fearful puppy. By having first week without pups the information of what to do when you arrive to help settle your puppy (eg not letting it rush up to other pups who may be nervous etc), what to do if puppy is barking/crying carrying on. I set aside a large time to discuss any issues that had cropped up and go over house training basics. Over the 4 weeks I still covered the same content but got out a lot of theory things while people were not trying to manage fido. This meant classes were much smoother, quieter, calmer. Nervous dogs had not been terrified bfore class started as people were aware of what to do/not to do when they arrived. We also were able to keep things moving at a better pace as many things had already been discussed.

You do have a point there

Ultimately Goldee what you should probably do is find out if they are running a course atm, and go along and watch each, and see which one you feel would most benefit you and your pup

eta cos I cant spell lol

Edited by GoldenGirl85

FB - Yes it can, but considering that they dont take the dogs along on the first week...that strikes me as really odd, this means the pup will only have 3 weeks of 'fun at the vets'

I think the obedience place is the better option IMHO, Im sure the pups will still have play and fun, but they will have more room to have fun, and hopefully the instructors will match pups well so they dont get too scared of the other dog

That is certainly strange that your puppy preschool doesn't include dogs on the first week. I'm no training expert so couldn't really comment on your vet's way of doing things. I would just want to introduce my pup in a positive way as much as possible

Most definately take the pup for as many visits as possible. I always encourage puppies to come in as often as possible as well as fearful dogs. If we are quiet, i will take the dogs/owners out the back with lots of treats and make the whole clinic a fun place :eek: