Dogs That Love Fruit And Vegies

corvus

I found out the hard way that raw broad beans do not agree with dogs, and can be quite toxic. I included them in some BARF mix and all the dogs vomitted afterwards. Thankfully no other effects. So, don't feed broad beans.

Edited by FHRP

I found out the hard way that raw broad beans do not agree with dogs, and can be quite toxic. I included them in some BARF mix and all the dogs vomitted afterwards. Thankfully no other effects. So, don't feed broad beans.

They make me :( too. :rofl:

That's good to know, though. We had some once that I nearly put in the BARF mix, but in the end I wasn't sure about them so I left them out.

I've heard the no potatoes thing too and also that potatoes are fine but their skin is bad? :(

Sweet potato on the other hand is good for them, especially if they are on a diet.

Sarge will eat everything. He chomps lettuce like a crocodile chomping some meat :rofl: He LOVES mandarin and even orange and EVEN lemon! Banana, kiwi fruit, beans, sprouts, broccoli etc. he loves.

I am unsure of the grapes thing. I think it may be that some breeds are more susceptible to having bad reactions, sort of how collie breeds are susceptible to ivermectin (I think) in medications like heartworm prevention. Elle has had grapes her whole life, she loves them, especially frozen in summer. A friends dog (rottie X lab) lived on a vineyard and one day decided to eat them off the vines. He was at the vet for a few days after that (but he did eat a lot and they weren't ripe).

My two quite frequently have pieces of capsicum, and they've never had a problem. They adore it. I'm a little surprised to see broccolli on the list - I feed broccolli scraps occasionally too.

Ziggy helped himself to my glass of apple juice the other week and Saturday morning he had to be made vomit after he discovered half a block of Lindt 70% chocolate. I was shocked because Anouk is normally the one helping herself to my chocolate!

Potatoes contain a type of toxin which can cause poisoning in humans as well. Doctor Karl discussed it on the abc website. Apparently a lot of what we think is food poisoning is actually caused by potato toxicity.

That said, Wheatens and other Irish dogs lived on potatoes and buttermilk for centuries, supplemented by the occasional rabbit, mouse or rat :(

Mollie