Semen Analysis

Janba

I got the analysis from Coles collection from Frozen Puppies today and while I know what a lot of it means some thing I have no idea if they are good or bad.

What are the figures for good semen count, a good normal morpholgy rate and a good thaw mobilty %? I wil ring them to clarify tomorrow.

ETA I probably should have been a bit more specific. It has things like Mobility Status(0 -1-2-3-4-5) 5 but no explanation. I am assuming 5 is good as his collection mobility was 90%. But is a post thaw mobility of 60% good or bad?

Edited by Janba

I got the analysis from Coles collection from Frozen Puppies today and while I know what a lot of it means some thing I have no idea if they are good or bad.

What are the figures for good semen count, a good normal morpholgy rate and a good thaw mobilty %? I wil ring them to clarify tomorrow.

ETA I probably should have been a bit more specific. It has things like Mobility Status(0 -1-2-3-4-5) 5 but no explanation. I am assuming 5 is good as his collection mobility was 90%. But is a post thaw mobility of 60% good or bad?

You were lucky to get info. They never gave me any info on my collection.

The letter did come 3 months after the collection date. They did say in the covering letter that there have been delays in sending reports.

The letter did come 3 months after the collection date. They did say in the covering letter that there have been delays in sending reports.

I don't think my letter is ever coming as it's been years!!

You should get a frozen semen report at the time of the collection or shortly after about the semen quality.

If your not getting this I would be asking why not????

Motility is how mobile the sperms are and if they are swimming in a forward direction and not just around and around in circles afterall they wont be able to find their way into the uterus if they cant swim up there.

Morphology is the most important thing....this is the amount of normal healthy sperm cells.

Post thaw motility and number of live sperm post thaw should hopefully be "fast" and of "excellent" quality.

You should get a frozen semen report at the time of the collection or shortly after about the semen quality.

If your not getting this I would be asking why not????

Motility is how mobile the sperms are and if they are swimming in a forward direction and not just around and around in circles afterall they wont be able to find their way into the uterus if they cant swim up there.

Morphology is the most important thing....this is the amount of normal healthy sperm cells.

Post thaw motility and number of live sperm post thaw should hopefully be "fast" and of "excellent" quality.

They said they would send it to me but never did. I would really like my Frozen Puppies Semen Report.

Hi,

Anything around 60% is excellent. You won't find many semen post thaw past a mobility of 60%.

I have 4 boys collected.

These are their post thaw motility rates

Boy 1 is 80 % (3 years old)

Boy 2 is 60% (3 years old)

Boy 3 is 75 % (7 years old)

Boy 4 is 60 % (2 years old)

They say the younger the dog the better the post thaw motility can be but as you can see from above not always so.

So it could pay to have them collected younger rather than once they are older ( as in over 6 years old)

edited to add ages of dogs

Edited by peaceful

Hi,

Anything around 60% is excellent. You won't find many semen post thaw past a mobility of 60%.

That's funny you would say that, as nothing I've EVER done has had a motility post thaw of less than 85%. To have 60% in my opinion and experience, isn't super great.

I would strongly suggest that when you use this semen, you enquire about adding a booster (most frozen places will know what to use as often it varies depending on the method used to freeze) to go from a 90% motility to 60% is a huge drop and adding a bit of 'turbo' to the mix prior to insemination, could help kick start the sperm into a better 'mood'!

I have a litter on the ground at the moment from frozen semen. Post thaw motility of 83%, produced 13 babies with a maiden bitch.

I know plenty of fellow breeders who have recently also used frozen semen, and all post thaw motility was around the 80%.

Hi,

That's funny you would say that, as nothing I've EVER done has had a motility post thaw of less than 85%. To have 60% in my opinion and experience, isn't super great.

I would strongly suggest that when you use this semen, you enquire about adding a booster (most frozen places will know what to use as often it varies depending on the method used to freeze) to go from a 90% motility to 60% is a huge drop and adding a bit of 'turbo' to the mix prior to insemination, could help kick start the sperm into a better 'mood'!

When I spoke to Frozen Puppies, who froze the semen off of my dogs, once thawed anything over 60% mobility was good. They also informed me that many many dogs do surpass the 60%. Just what I was told from Frozen Puppies!

Hi,

Gee I just checked out my boys report and it has Post thaw 65% (conservative)