Ticks

Hi,

Living in Adelaide we do not have to worry about ticks on our dogs, as there are not any. A friend is moving to Brisbane and taking his GSD. he was very excited abot a property he found near a stream but was told to consider ticks......not something he was aware of.

Are there tick problems in the general Brisbane area ? if so, how do you keep them off your dog ?

I lived in the NT over a decade ago and recall having to get them off with tweezers and drop them in kero (yuk) surely in all the years since, something better has been found ?

thanks

Brigitte

Some areas do some don't where I live I don't but the next suburb over do. Best to ask for a specific area to be sure. I always check my dogs if they have been off our property.

ETA you can get plenty of products to deter ticks when it is tick season. Also daily checking is recommended.

Edited by *Shelties N Danes*

Really depends on the area but we have almost lost our older GSD to a tick. More common in bushy areas but still around.

Nasty little things that should be wiped off the planet :D

Hi,

Living in Adelaide we do not have to worry about ticks on our dogs, as there are not any. A friend is moving to Brisbane and taking his GSD. he was very excited abot a property he found near a stream but was told to consider ticks......not something he was aware of.

Are there tick problems in the general Brisbane area ? if so, how do you keep them off your dog ?

I lived in the NT over a decade ago and recall having to get them off with tweezers and drop them in kero (yuk) surely in all the years since, something better has been found ?

thanks

Brigitte

Brigitte,

Yes, unfortunately here are many ticks and every year lots of dogs unfortunately die due to tick bites. I personally do not like to use the conventional tick prevention and they say they are not 100% safe anyway and I know many people who used it and their dogs still got ticks, you still have to search your dog. I have a ritual, every day before my dogs get their dinner, it is tick searching time. Believe me, they are very co-operative as they know the faster I can check them, the sooner they get their food! :-)

Important is to check the whole body, including inside of the ears, in between the toes, etc. I discover more ticks by touch than by seeing them.

Usually a paralysis tick has to be attached to the body for at least 24 hours before it is said to release its toxin (some say 48 hours, I just play it safe here). So a daily routine should be sufficient.

There is an easy way to remove ticks, even if you do not have any tools (when hiking, etc.), it removes the whole tick still alive: http://animalconnection.com.au/index.php/t...ove-a-tick.html

Dagmar

There is an easy way to remove ticks, even if you do not have any tools (when hiking, etc.), it removes the whole tick still alive: http://animalconnection.com.au/index.php/t...ove-a-tick.html

That's interesting, Dagmar. Although we don't suffer the tick problem as others in warmer/tropical climates than ours, stuff like this is good to know. I just would like to clarify by asking a couple of questions on the 'tick removing technique' if you happen to know?

How much pressure do you need to apply when rubbing your finger in a circular motion against the tick's body?

What is it that causes the tick to fall off as a result of this technique? I'm imagining a very relaxed and happy tick who has gone into ecstasy for the massage it has just received :rofl: . Not being smart here, just interested.

Also, for those who do need to perform the daily "tick check" ritual - how much time would you spend checking before you'd be satisfied that you've properly looked and checked all over - for example on a medium size dog (labrador or some such) ?

Thanks for asking that question Erny as I too am interested in the technique.

Do you place your finger over the whole body and rotate it? The mouth is obviously attached so do you move the body like the hands of a clock?

I fortunately have never had to deal with ticks yet but I 'm sure this technique would be good to know.

Thanks

Hi

I use proban which is fantastic for Ticks but also do the search daily.

Be sure to really check carefully around the mouth, ears (especially for long eared dogs), feet, belly, armpits and back end.

Good luck!

That's interesting, Dagmar. Although we don't suffer the tick problem as others in warmer/tropical climates than ours, stuff like this is good to know. I just would like to clarify by asking a couple of questions on the 'tick removing technique' if you happen to know?

How much pressure do you need to apply when rubbing your finger in a circular motion against the tick's body?

What is it that causes the tick to fall off as a result of this technique? I'm imagining a very relaxed and happy tick who has gone into ecstasy for the massage it has just received :rofl: . Not being smart here, just interested.

Also, for those who do need to perform the daily "tick check" ritual - how much time would you spend checking before you'd be satisfied that you've properly looked and checked all over - for example on a medium size dog (labrador or some such) ?

Very good questions! Ok, even if I also do animal massage I am not very much into tick massage :rofl:

I found out by accident and it works every time as long as the tick is big enough, does not work very well with tiny nymphs, probably because one cannot move them enough.

Regarding the pressure, I am using only as much pressure as is necessary to move the ticks body, I do not want to press down too hard and squeeze the tick, otherwise the tick might have to release its toxin. Why the ticks eventually just let go, I do not know. I assume they get a bit dizzy? Or they might think that is not such a good spot, better lets have a look for a quieter location.

The ritual of checking my dogs takes me maybe 3-5 minutes in total for 2 boxers, my dogs just drop down and roll on their back when I need to check their undersides. Being short haired dogs, it is probably a bit quicker than for long haired dogs. Once they are used to it, it should really not take too long. I would reckon probably max 5 minutes for a large long haired dog? I am using a head torch to look into their ears, this way I have my hands free.

Thanks for asking that question Erny as I too am interested in the technique.

Do you place your finger over the whole body and rotate it? The mouth is obviously attached so do you move the body like the hands of a clock?

I fortunately have never had to deal with ticks yet but I 'm sure this technique would be good to know.

Thanks

I do NOT hold the tick between my fingers and rotate it, I just put my index finger down on the ticks body and apply very gentle pressure, no squeezing, only as much pressure as necessary to move the ticks body. Then I move my finger in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction (you can choose) and keep moving, just making little circles. After a while the tick just pops out and tries to walk away. Have to check, if it is walking in a straight line next time... :rofl:

I recommended this technique to many of my clients and one lady recently had to use it as she found a fully engorged tick on her dog in the middle of nowhere. She was so glad to know about that simple technique as she did not have any tools with her. It worked perfectly well and the dog was fine afterwards.

Why the ticks eventually just let go, I do not know. I assume they get a bit dizzy? Or they might think that is not such a good spot, better lets have a look for a quieter location.

Thanks Dagmar. Something still puzzles me though, and it's making me think that perhaps I'm not imagining this 'tick removing technique' as it should be. And perhaps I'm taking your "dizzy" comment too literally when it is not meant to be.

I'm picturing a tick which obviously has its head/mouth buried into the dog. With the technique, how would the tick get "dizzy"? What I mean is, regardless of whether the tick really does get dizzy or not, it's making me think that the technique twirls the tick right around (over and over), yet from the earlier description, I was thinking it is more like drawing circles on the ticks body with your finger.

Hope I'm making sense.

Need a YouTube example :rofl:.

Thanks Dagmar. Something still puzzles me though, and it's making me think that perhaps I'm not imagining this 'tick removing technique' as it should be. And perhaps I'm taking your "dizzy" comment too literally when it is not meant to be.

I'm picturing a tick which obviously has its head/mouth buried into the dog. With the technique, how would the tick get "dizzy"? What I mean is, regardless of whether the tick really does get dizzy or not, it's making me think that the technique twirls the tick right around (over and over), yet from the earlier description, I was thinking it is more like drawing circles on the ticks body with your finger.

Hope I'm making sense.

Need a YouTube example :).

I really should record it and place on YouTube! Sorry, my dogs do not have a tick at the moment. :rofl:

I think I should not have mentioned the 'dizzy' part, I just had to laugh about your comment about the tick having gone into ecstasy! :rofl:

You were absolutely right, it is more like the earlier description, drawing circles on the ticks body with the finger.

Sorry for the confusion.