Now I Know It's Not Really My Business But....

The new (and final) owners just rang to say thank you. Sharni the Irish Setter is now living on a 70 acre property and is being spoilt rotten with toys and yummy food. They are lovely people.

It turns out the first owner, who assured me they were intending on getting Sharni back, did not bother to do so and even refused when the 17 year old girl who originally adopted Sharni tried to return her. She certainly convinced me. Academy Award Winner! :thumbsup:

A sad story but a wonderful outcome for such a beautiful dog.

Thanks all!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new (and final) owners just rang to say thank you. Sharni the Irish Setter is now living on a 70 acre property and is being spoilt rotten with toys and yummy food. They are lovely people.

It turns out the first owner, who assured me they were intending on getting Sharni back, did not bother to do so and even refused when the 17 year old girl who originally adopted Sharni tried to return her. She certainly convinced me. Academy Award Winner! :)

Thanks all!

Good work. :thumbsup::):laugh::shrug::rofl: Well done.

What a wonderful outcome for the dog and the new owners.

:) good girl charlotte. people like you certainly make the dog world a much better place :)

Oh thanks Schnauzerlover, that's so sweet of you. They really need a blushing emoticon on DOL! :)

This re-homing has inspired me to get further involved in some rescue groups on the south coast so it's a win win situation for everyone.

Signing off for tonight

Paddington waves his paw goodnight ;)

Great outcome Charlotte. You're an angel!!

I shouldn't spend time on Gumtree, It upsets me too much.

An ad I just came across

"

hi i am selling my much loved dog

his name is max and he is 6 years old great dog very playful

great family dog amazing aroung kids

2 options you can buy him for 450.00

or if your a breeder you can pay $200 plus a pup when he breeds

papers and food provided

SE RIOUS CALLERS ONLY"

So they have to get rid of the dog but they want one of his pups....

ETA:

I emailed him asking why he wanted one of the pups if he was having to rehome his boy, and he replied:

"hey there i dont really know lol

im moving around Australia

George"

Sigh.

So I replied with this:

"Hi George,

Lucky you, travelling will be great!

Can I suggest that maybe it isn't the best idea to take on another pup when you're having to rehome your boy already?

I actually work in the dog industry as a trainer so am quite involved with dogs, and can I maybe suggest that you get him desexed before rehoming and then add what it cost you onto the price of him?

There are a lot of people around that run large breeding facilities, keeping the dogs in bad conditions and breeding them as often as possible to make money. If you rehome him undesexed you run the risk of him falling into the hands of someone who would just use him to pump out litters without looking after him properly or giving him any attention or exercise.

I'm sure you wouldn't want that for your boy, so I wanted to make sure you knew that these sorts of people are around.

Lots of people are looking for desexed dogs and it will be a great selling point that he is already done and they don't have to worry about it.

Hope you don't think i'm overstepping my boundaries, but wanted to just let you know :cry:

Mel"

Edited by melzawelza

It turns out the first owner, who assured me they were intending on getting Sharni back, did not bother to do so and even refused when the 17 year old girl who originally adopted Sharni tried to return her. She certainly convinced me. Academy Award Winner! ;)

Thanks all!

Yay Charlotte*Paddington!! :laugh: . By getting involved you've made a huge difference to the rest of Sharni's life! Just one dog (for now :o) , but boy, it feels good doesn't it? :eek: . Very proud of you for making this your business, and I'm sure Sharni's new owners feel the same way :eek: .

Good karma to you too Melzawelza! :p . Maybe, maybe your email will make a difference. It's well written and gets the point across without coming on too strong :eek: . Might be worth cutting and pasting it in an email to every idiot who's advertising an undesexed dog on Gumtree.

I wonder if something can be done to change the way so many people on Gumtree seem to think. Could we convince Gumtree to have something like Melzawelza's letter as part of their header or general information or something? The people who are advertising undesexed dogs are the one's who need to see that information.

Good karma to you too Melzawelza! :thumbsup: . Maybe, maybe your email will make a difference. It's well written and gets the point across without coming on too strong :thumbsup: . Might be worth cutting and pasting it in an email to every idiot who's advertising an undesexed dog on Gumtree.

I wonder if something can be done to change the way so many people on Gumtree seem to think. Could we convince Gumtree to have something like Melzawelza's letter as part of their header or general information or something? The people who are advertising undesexed dogs are the one's who need to see that information.

LOL i'm terrible, i've sent a very similar letter to probably about ten different people now. This guy is the only one who has replied. So sad.

He replied to that last letter with:

"Hey There thanks for that the reason i am selling him at such high cost is people who really love him may pay but people who just want to abuse him wouldnt pay that prica

i changed my mind about renting him but am willling to lower the price is your interested

God bless George"

sigh again. I replied again saying i'm sorry but I really cant take him. That I agree that selling him for a fair price is a good idea however this still won't guarantee him ending up in a puppy farm. The ONLY way to guarantee this is by desexing him. I also sent him the link to www.wheredopuppiescomefrom.com

Haven't heard back though, but at least he changed his mind about taking a pup back. I guess that's a small win.