Aluminium Crates

Guest bigdogg

Guest bigdogg

Just wondering how many people have aluminium crates / show boxes?

Im getting a crate made for the back of my vehicle (trayback), and i was thinking why dont you see a heap of aluminium dog cages in vehicles?

I asked the bloke making the crate, and he hasnt done any for show dogs or even in the back of station wagons, boots.. So i thought id ask if there would be a market for aluminium crates / cages?

What features would you like a crate to have and what dimensions. I can get him to knock a few up if there is any interest..

Depends on what type of crate/cage you are talking about. :rofl:

It usually Aluminium is not strong enough for large dogs.

Most are made of metal.

You do see lots of different ones on the back of Utes at dog shows.

Some flat top Utes have the body of a dog trailer fitted on them.

Guest bigdogg

what are the prices of the crates from ccrates??

These crates / cages will certainly be tough enough.. Made out of security door mesh / checkerplate and box aluminium. He makes them for utes that carry hunting dogs. So 'toughness' is certainly not an issue..

Crates to house dogs for vehicles should be insulated. This is why many are made from sandwiched styrene panels as this adds insulation factor especially useful for vehicles left out in the sun for long periods of time. Ventilation is also an important consideration.

Guest bigdogg

Ive never seen insulated crates..

Mine is not exactly like this - but similar.. (see photo)

Very tough, never rust and very light - this is not what i was thinking about for show cages / small vehicle cages.. They would be on a smaller scale..

I guess there is not much interest in them then..

They would have to work out a more durable product then ccrates and probably be cheaper looking at the prices.

post-10526-1274525598_thumb.jpg

Guest bigdogg
what state are we talking about???

QLD - however he sends cages away to people all over Australia...

Guest bigdogg
There might be more interest if there was an indication of pricing

What features would you like a crate to have and what dimensions

Throw some dimensions up and we can work from there..

Do people want lockable latches?

doors with gas struts?

hinged doors you can take off?

slide out drawers?

covered roof / no roof?

on wheels / no wheels?

These can all be options.. Just need a base so he can work out a price..

Big dog, please don't get any of us wrong, we don't usually carry dogs on the back of a ute.

Good on you for being so enterprising and doing the right thing for your dog/s.

A lot of people who transport their dogs a lot and over long distances have dog trailers, all insulated in some way.

Often these people when when they get to where they are going, take the dogs and put them into crates/trolleys so they can have the dogs close to where they make their camp.

Some people just purchase strong crates for the back of their ute/flat top and when the dogs are out remove them and use those to confine the dogs in at their camp.

Being ever mindful of the Queensland summer heat and the distances we travel we always try and keep our dogs in trailers or the car with us, so showing us crates like you are designing no matter how excellent they may be is a bit foreign to some of us.

Good luck with your project. :thumbsup:

Big dog, please don't get any of us wrong, we don't usually carry dogs on the back of a ute.

A lot of people who transport their dogs a lot and over long distances have dog trailers, all insulated in some way.

Often these people when when they get to where they are going, take the dogs and put them into crates/trolleys so they can have the dogs close to where they make their camp.

Some people just purchase strong crates for the back of their ute/flat top and when the dogs are out remove them and use those to confine the dogs in at their camp.

Being ever mindful of the Queensland summer heat and the distances we travel we always try and keep our dogs in trailers or the car with us, so showing us crates like you are designing no matter how excellent they may be is a bit foreign to some of us.

We are getting a ute soon to make it easier to take our dogs on outing and still have space for camping gear/bikes ect. If we don't get one with a full canvass canopy, I was thinking of getting a canvass cover made for the crate that could have different areas rolled up or down to provide protection from the elements and ventilation, a mattress on the floor and a bucket of water tied into the corner.

Does that sound like a safe way for our dogs to travel? I'd like to be able to pop into the shops quickly on the way home sometimes too (atm we have to drive home past the shops then 15 minutes back out to the shop after dropping the dogs off)

I'd also have to lock the crate to make sure no one coud let them out.

What do you think?

Guest bigdogg

Thanks

I was thinking more of the crates / trolleys rather than a setup on the back of the ute - photo was to give an idea of the material used and sort of what it would look like. My apologies for sending the wrong message.

Was also thinking about the back of station wagons - if you had a cage setup with a divider in there you could put your pooch in one side and groceries in the other.

Guest bigdogg
We are getting a ute soon to make it easier to take our dogs on outing and still have space for camping gear/bikes ect. If we don't get one with a full canvass canopy, I was thinking of getting a canvass cover made for the crate that could have different areas rolled up or down to provide protection from the elements and ventilation, a mattress on the floor and a bucket of water tied into the corner.

Does that sound like a safe way for our dogs to travel? I'd like to be able to pop into the shops quickly on the way home sometimes too (atm we have to drive home past the shops then 15 minutes back out to the shop after dropping the dogs off)

What do you think?

The cage im getting built will be very similar to what you are chasing - mine may be bigger.. Mine will be a 4 compartment cage. At the front im getting a slide out drawer for my engel fridge - above that will be a small compartment to store stuff. The other three, well one will be for groc / pram whatever the wife wishes to put in there, and the back will be for the dogs - there is a divider in there so if a bitch is in heat or if i have someone elses dogs than everything is safe and happy.

Im getting a ripstop waterproof cover that has press studs on it. So if i need to protect / weather proof the cage i just press the cover on both the front and the back. I will also have ones for the cage doors.

On the floor i have marine carpet. Comfortable enough and keeps cool / warm depending on the season.

Water - i have one of those bottles that the dogs can lick the end (ball) and they have access to water.. If travelling any distance than i pull up and leave them do their business and offer a water bowl then.

Guest bigdogg
Here's what we use:

Thankyou

Thats what i was after.. If you dont mind me asking - how much are those crates?

Good luck with your project. :hug:

What do you think?

I think that would be an excellent idea. :thumbsup:

Hi bigdogg, I am definitely interested in getting a dog cage / bed frame made up from alloy for the back of my troop carrier, if they are not too expensive.

Would you possibly be able to put me in touch with who you are getting your crates made through? I'd also like an idea on price!

Cheers.

Edit because I didn't realise you'd asked for a description...

It would need to run the length of a troop carrier from behind the seats to the back doors, be at window height, and have the back half enclosed for the dog, and the door setup I want is kinda funky, I'd prolly have to talk to the guy and work it out... so umm, about 2.5m long and 1m high with only half enclosed?

Edited by Jake-K9