What Do You Feed Your Older Overweight Dogs?

Hi my chihuahua is 8 and she has put on heaps of weight in the last 2 mths. She is feed my dog and has since a puppy. Im wanting to change her diet to help with her weight. She isent a huge fan of dry food. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You may not need to change her diet.

You could simply feed her less. However most 'senior's diets contain less fat than regular commercial adult food.

If you want to feed a home prepared diet, reduce the amount of fat and up the veggie content.

What are you feeding her now?

Edited by poodlefan

HI poodlefan she is fed my dog shes been on it since she was a puppy. I know canned foods arent the best but she has done well on it. Shes just a porker now!

You could reduce the quantity by 1/3 and add some veggies.

My girl's on Artemis Weight Management, highly suitable for oldies and generally very palatable. As an oldie, now more than ever it is vital to get her off a complete wet diet, if I'm reading right. If she won't go for any dry, then how about vets all natural - comes in both a premix that you soak then add your meat of choice to, and a well balanced meat mix. Or BARF patties might suit.

Sags

Can you get artemis weight management at city farmers? I get Graces royal canin from there so it would be easier for me to get both. How much is it? thanks

I have to admit she mainly exercises in the yard she is very timid and walking her in the street is a nightmare.

HI poodlefan she is fed my dog shes been on it since she was a puppy. I know canned foods arent the best but she has done well on it. Shes just a porker now!

Just reduce her intake :thumbsup: