Growth Spurts...what Age?

GABBA

Before getting my Dogue i read a fair bit, but of course, owning one is different to reading about one. I have read that giant breeds grow until roughly 3 years old (growing taller, filling out, etc). I am wondering however at what age they have growth spurts. For example, when i first got him at 8 weeks, he seemed to grow fairly quick for a few weeks, now the growth rate has slowed slightly, so i am wondering at what age(s) will he experience growth spurts? (thats a little repetitive, but im sure you get the point)

I think it varies but big dogs seem to grow rapidly in height for the first 6 months and then it slows down. I don't think there is a given time that they will have a growth spurt in that time but they seem to reach about 80% of their adult height by 6 months of age. They then grow more slowly in height until their grown plates close - the general rule of thumb is that they will lose the knobbly knees on their front legs when they've reached full height. They then continue to grow but more out in width and depth and general muscle bulk gain for a couple more years but as far as I know they don't gain more height after the growth plates on their long bones close.

He will sometimes grow faster than other times. Liek growth spurts yes. Just watch his development if he does start to grow very fast.

Check with Dogue breeders, but i know that some very high protien dog foods can cause rapid development in some large breeds, which is not the best. You don't want to push growth along, just let it go at it's own pace or you end up with strange stuff going on. And of course watch for any dramatic changes in legs etc which can be calcium linked.

My breed are not technically classed as giant (but are bigger than some that are - go figure :cry:) - they can grow until four or more years old.

Sometimes I can look at a young one and they seem to have grown during the day! But other times they do seem to settle into a groove for a little while.

Mine are giants........we try to keep our protein levels down. I find mine grow really fast intil 6 month and slow down a bit. Katy my 9 month old pup is kept really quite lean, but has just started to broaden. She is 26" high already.

we really make an effort to keep our newfie pups fit with swimming and to keep them ribby. My three year old girl never put on any more size after about 16 months. But I had one girl who suddenly seemed to put on a couple of inches at two. So I think it depends more on each individual dog and it's line.

They do grow too fast, I miss my little baby floof ball. But I love my silly nine month old delinquent :(