How Many People Should Be In Charge Of 'training' A Pup?

goldee

I have a couple of questions about training a puppy and whats the best way to go/how many people should be in 'charge' of it

Is it better to get private training lessons?

I am going to be taking my pup to Puppy School in a few weeks hopefully and noticed they have other obidence type classes available as well as private lessons. Someone i know told me how they got private lessons and its well trained (the basics, sit, come, stay, no etc). Im not too sure how much they are at this point, but probably a few hundred.

How many people should be in charge of 'training' her?

i am getting a bit worried that we are confusing her with all this comands as they are coming from three different people. I will be trying to teach her to sit and have a few treats and then someone else comes up grabs some treats and sits next to me saying 'sit' as well. Poor thing. I just give up when it happens coz we are confusing her. I wish they would butt out! I read in a book about dog/puppy training that its bad to smack them on the nose if they bite or jump up. One person constantly does this, holds her face and smacks her nose when she does something wrong. I've told them not to do it but they still do. I am going to get a harness lead to take her out for walks, and now they think they are going to take her out aswell.

I dont mind them helping, but as soon as she needs to go outside in the middle of the night or whatever its 'she's your dog'. Hopefully in a year we both wont be living there but she needs to be used to me and my commands to her.

Thanks for any help!

why don't you see how puppy school goes and if you are still having trouble then consider a private lesson. My puppy school teacher is great and is always happy to answer questions by email or phone.

Many people can train the pup so long as you are using the same commands. You all have to be consistent with rules and discipline. Who is this other person? perhaps it would be best to tell them that they must use the same commands and reprimands as you do, otherwise their interaction with the pup will be limited. It is your dog isn't it? If its your parents- there's nothing much you can do except explain to them why you want to do it a certain way.

How many people should be "in charge"?

ONE!!!

I would strongly recommend that only one person teaches the dog but others can practice and reinforce already learned behaviours. Any other system runs the risk of confusing the dog with different methods and messages.

The person smacking your dogs face makes my blood boil - they are teaching the dog to fear them and possibly creating further negative consequences down the line. I would be telling them to keep their hands OFF the damn dog no matter who they are. That kind of training went out with the dark ages.

Tell them that you're looking for a new place to live as soon as possible because they are abusing your dog. Maybe THAT message might sink in.

Who is the actual 'owner' of this dog Goldee? Is this a family situation?

Frankly, if I were this dog's breeder I'd be pretty unhappy about what's going on. Maybe you should have waited until you were on your own to get a pup.

Edited by poodlefan

agree with poodlefen

One person to train new commands , others can reinforce , every one should use the same command and hand signal for the same action , if people are interfering with the initial training then do this when they are not around , one person to give command at a time. Perhaps the reminder that puppy is a baby will help to stop hitting the pups nose after all you dont hit human babies and offering alternatives that work to settle the undesired behaviour.

Perhaps that you like the fact that everyone wants to help but that everyone has to do things the same way for the puppy to learn quickly

Good luck

I think everyone who lives in the house be involved in training the dog, however I believe that the family should sit down and actually write down what the command words will be, what the hand signals will be, what they will do if the dog doesn't do it etc.

Even if you choose just one person to train the pup other people in the household are still going to be inconsistent when interacting if the rules aren't put down.

If your family is conflicting about puppy training - call a meeting.

Yeah, i will be taking her to puppy school, see how she goes. Considered private lessons after that. She seems to be a clever thing but gets distracted easily! But she's onky 9weeks, cant expect too much yet!

Yep, family (parents). I am the owner, i paid for her. I wanted her. It took some serious convincing to even get her here. They really adore her - but wish they'd just let me decide on what to feed her and training. I try to teach her and then they just barge in speaking over me.

There are 3 options i've found for puppy school. One through the vets (5 mins away), one at a dog obidence place (which will have further training options available but 20 mins away) - there is a big price diference too, and one is mon 6.30 or sat 12 noon. Its my choice but they seem to be annoyed that i am preferring the saturday one. Sometimes i dont get home till 5.45, i dont want to be or feel rushed, i want to be able to concentrate so she gets the most out of going to it!

I decide on something and am told i should do something different - like i want a harness lead. Im told to get one of those ones that go over her nose (not a muzzle) or a choker chain. Again, no! Its just to get her trained properly on the lead, not to pull etc etc, when she's bigger i'll find somethign else.

Ive told them not to smack her nose and i get 'oh im not doing it hard'. She is going to grow up to be a BIG dog, when she's that size she can do a lot more damage than just nipping at your feet.

Edited by goldee

Ive told them not to smack her nose and i get 'oh im not doing it hard'. I dont care, dont do it! She is going to grow up to be a BIG dog, when she's that size she can do a lot more damage than just nipping at your feet.

Its more likely the result will be a dog head shy for life. :(

Do not let anyone slap her face/nose. These people need to respect the fact that you are putting the efforts into researching and training your dog as you see fit, and you do not want them to interfere in a physical way with punishment as the effects on the dog could be lasting. Maybe try and educate them on a more modern way of positive dog training.

I once had someone absolutely slap Heidi really hard (like a fierce whipping) with the end of her lead, all because she was going through a stage of getting excited and putting the other end of the lead in her mouth.... sometimes pulling. I found a better way of getting her to drop the lead, and that was by just standing still and saying "let go". You can still get a firm message across to distracted puppy with consistent positive reinforcement. This same person grabbed my dog by the muzzle and squeezed really hard (till she yelped), and shouted up her nostrils. This is because my dog barked at us, and was being cheeky. She was 9 months old, and we found her looking fearful after this occasion, especially when we went to get something out of her mouth. Having to open her mouth up to remove item (slipper, sock etc), she was scared and blinking lots.

Some dogs may need firmer training methods, but I do not believe everyone should be doing things so differently with your dog. My dog is confused at times, due to irregular methods (I'm only human, and I do try) :( , but I would never want her to fear my approach.

Edited by VJB

Perhaps a little off topic but an example of what can go wrong when people hit puppies

This I watched play out in the waiting room of my vet , the vet nurse was as stunned as I was

Choc Lab puppy about 5 months old came in with family in tow father grandmother mother and kids x2

Puppy sat quietly with grandmother and all looked good , father got out of seat moved over to grandmother and pup , pup tucked tail between legs backed up beside grandmother and began agro bark and jump at the father , he growled back at dog and smacked on the nose , the puppy appeared fine with the rest of the family but I expect that it would have been PTS before it was 18 months old for being HA ,

Very sad as poodlefan says the most prob will be head shy but the above could well be the senario for your family as well ,

Goldee- in answer to your question..ONE person does the deciding/training - the others reinforce it :(

and...a HARNESS is something which goes around the dog's body.

A HEADCOLLAR (brand names, Halti,gentle leader, etc ) goes on the dog's head.

If you want to use a headcollar .. (and I cannot see why, on such a baby puppy), please CLICK HERE for lots of discussion on the use/abuse of them, and their suitablity.

Why don't you want to use a plain flat collar?

Edited by persephone

Thanks. thats what i want, i'll teach her, they can reinforce it. But it very annoying when im siting there, in a quite area with her trying to teach her and then they just come up and start yelling out 'sit' and waving their finger in her face!

They are the ones i am going to have to say 'no' to!

I was thinking of using a harness on her so if she pulls she isn't strangling herself as she does with her normal collar. She's SO excited to go explore and doesn't come when she's called yet so i fear her getting loose, so i thought a harness might be better and can teach her to walk, not pull etc etc.

I have heard of one called a Gentle Leader whihc looks similar to a headcollar but apparently is 'nicer' for the dog. Ive was told to get one now which is just silly! She barely has a nose for it to sit properly on!!

gentle_leader_dog_model_3.jpg

You've got arguably one of the best obedience breeds around Goldee.

With the right training, she'll never need to wear anything other than a flat collar to walk on. If you are worried about her slipping a collar, use a martingale one. Start right away by not 'rewarding' that pulling. Do not let her pull you anywhere.

Head halters are a corrective tool - you won't need one if you get the basics instilled nice and early.

Edited by poodlefan

Like the others said. One person in charge.. the other reinforce it.

Usually it's the human who are the hardest to train :(

I constantly have to re-train the boyfriend and his brother all the time :)

Hi

Training options are many , puppy schools , obedience clubs and come to you personal training vary in cost and timing

I like the ones run by the obedience and breed clubs , puppy interacts with dogs of different ages and contact with older dogs is often good to help teach them manners as running with just puppies can sometimes teach bad manners you also get to interact more with different owners and trainers that have different approach to each other but they often get similar results

they also focus more on the dog learning what you would like them to learn instead of being a puppy play group which a lot of puppy preschools sadly are

personal training is the most expensive of the options but for some people is easiest , advice would be to use only someone who has dogs that you like the behaviour of or from people who have dogs they have helped with and you like the results and methods used

seeing as she is your first own dog then a breed club puppy school or an obedience club would give you lots of people to talk to about training and care methods so that you can adopt the one you feel works best for you and your puppy and increase your confidence in what you are doing

so if she pulls she isn't strangling herself as she does with her normal collar.

and this is why you go to an obedience club- or get a trainer to help you :) YOU are the human- the one in charge- it is your responsibilty to TEACH her how walk comfortably on a leash & collar.. she won't automatically do it..and ,believe me, it can be done on a flat collar ... with you being educated- all sorts of things are possible!! :(

She is such a baby yet- she has lots to learn from you.

THIS LINKmay get you thinking as to what is needed now, and what can be done ;) The trick is to get information from different sources-- and after you learn lots, and beging to understand your pup- then you can use what works best for your pup. Pup/dog training is NOT "one size fits all" !

With the right training, she'll never need to wear anything other than a flat collar to walk on. If you are worried about her slipping a collar, use a martingale one.

Head halters are a corrective tool - you won't need one if you get the basics instilled nice and early.

Yeah its mainly just now, about her trying to get out of her collar while on a lead because she is so excited. When she is trained i think she'll be fine. She's pretty cluey now. She's just very playful.

Edited by goldee

With the right training, she'll never need to wear anything other than a flat collar to walk on. If you are worried about her slipping a collar, use a martingale one.

Yeah its mainly just now, about her trying to get out of her collar while on a lead because she is so excited. When she is trained i think she'll be fine. She's pretty cluey now. She's just very playful.

You're already training her Goldee.. every day she is learning.

so if she pulls she isn't strangling herself as she does with her normal collar.

and this is why you go to an obedience club- or get a trainer to help you :) YOU are the human- the one in charge- it is your responsibilty to TEACH her how walk comfortably on a leash & collar.. she won't automatically do it..and ,believe me, it can be done on a flat collar ... with you being educated- all sorts of things are possible!! :(

She is such a baby yet- she has lots to learn from you.

THIS LINKmay get you thinking as to what is needed now, and what can be done ;) The trick is to get information from different sources-- and after you learn lots, and beging to understand your pup- then you can use what works best for your pup. Pup/dog training is NOT "one size fits all" !

Thanks! I getting her in the next available puppy school class and hope to take her to obidence classes too. People are eager to take her out for walks to the beach etc, but she'll try to get out of her lead (at least until i know how to control/train and teach her it!) which will just take time.

I wonder if i am better of waiting until i have a bit of control and teach her some things before! So at least i know i can control her on the lead.

Thanks! I getting her in the next available puppy school class and hope to take her to obidence classes too. People are eager to take her out for walks to the beach etc, but she'll try to get out of her lead (at least until i know how to control/train and teach her it!) which will just take time.

I wonder if i am better of waiting until i have a bit of control and teach her some things before! So at least i know i can control her on the lead.

She's 9 weeks old Goldee. She's far too young for any walk longer than a few minutes.

If she's over exercised you can end up with big issues from a skeletal perspective. I'd be issuing an edict = you do NOT walk my pup without me!!

Seriously, if you cannot get your parents to respect your wishes for this pup, I highly recommend you return her. She will not profit from the current situation and you only get one chance to raise her right.

What sort of training/corrections do you think she'll get on walks from the family member who thinks slapping her face is OK?

Edited by poodlefan