People Who Work Fulltime And Have A Puppy.

Whipitgood

In a similar situation, I found treat dispensing balls quite useful. I also came home at lunch time for the first 3 weeks, for a play and also to feed.

It is surprising how much puppies sleep! Even now at 16 weeks my pup has two daytime naps (he is outside napping now...)

Plus, I would recommend a heavy water bowl (like ceramic etc) as my pup thought it was to play with (quickly upgraded) and also have 2nd bowl of water available...

It takes a bit of routine adjusting, ie getting up a bit earlier, but very possible to have a puppy and work FT!

I'd say most dog owners would work full time. As long as you are doing reasonable hours say 9-5, not 6am-11pm then most dogs and puppies should be fine. It would be ideal to have a small room with outdoor access and tire the dogs out before you leave by a walk (or playtime and/or training if they are too young). Leave the puppy lots of toys as well and they should be reasonably happy. It might take them a few days to adjust to though.

All dogs should be bred to be of sound body and sound mind, and if a breeder isn't confident that their pups can cope with being alone for a period of time, then breeding for sound mind isn't near the top of their list.

For a start off Whipitgood never said anything about selling to people working full time - although it seems to have turned into that- She asked for help for a family memeber who has bought a puppy and works full time and as she has no experience in working full time and having a puppy, she was asking for hints and advice, rather than give some tha may be incorrect.

I have one of Whipitgoods puppies and there is absolutely nothing wrong with her temperment and at times when it has been needed she can cope just fine with being left and being by herself. I think to call someones ethics into question regarding temperment just because they asked a question about keeping a puupy occupied while working full time is absolutely ridiculous!!

It was just an honest question. If you don't sell to people who work, then who is getting your puppies? From your post I am going to assume stay-at-home mums or retired people or people on some sort of pension.

I got one of Caths puppies, Yes at the moment I am a stay at home mum, my OH works full time so I can be at home with ,y kids-not that that is anyone elses business. When I worked full time I got to take my dogs to work anyway, so the question may have been one I asked if a family member had bought a dog and was asking with help regarding how to keep the puppy amused and not destructive.

At the end of the day you find a breeder you like, you like them because they have well looked after good quality pups and you like what they do. You are also getting a puppy because they are happy with the home you will provide. How they determine that is up to them.

I found a breeder who was happy to sell me a puppy even though I had young children, others told me outright no because I had a 2 yo and a 5mo, but I am sure there are many that would agree with a breeder not selling to a person with young children - but that would be okay I am sure.

And by the way what is so bad about selling puppies to SAHM's and pensioners?

Oh and even though I am at SAHM I also work a farm and run a small herd of beef cattle, so even though I do work it is not percieved as work by many because I do not actually go to work from 9 to 5. Each situation needs to been seen on it's own merits - that is the breeders need to decide if the are 100% happy selling to a particular home.

How about re-reading the OP and answering the question or go and start you own topic about how breeders who won't sell puppies to people who work full time are evil and horrible.

I didn't read anything saying anyone was evil and horrible??

My question was an honestly inquisitive one as I and most people I know work full time and could not afford not to.

I certainly wasn't meaning to imply that people who don't work full time don't look after their dogs!

Should never have said anything.

No-one said anyone in particular was evil and horrible - my words. The problem is what started out as a can you help with idea topic, turned into having a go at breeders that do not think the same as some individuals.

I also got narky due to the fact many see being a SAHM as a bad thing. Yes I can fully aford to look after all three of my dogs.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

No-one said anyone in particular was evil and horrible - my words. The problem is what started out as a can you help with idea topic, turned into having a go at breeders that do not think the same as some individuals.

I also got narky due to the fact many see being a SAHM as a bad thing. Yes I can fully aford to look after all three of my dogs.

I don't think anyone thinks that being a SAHM is a bad thing! I think people just get upset because most people don't "choose" to work full-time, it's just that they can't afford not to. I know I'd love to be able to stay at home with my dogs more often (and be a SAHM if I had kids) but our mortgage eats up nearly one of our salaries :D

We started off with an older dog from rescue because we didn't want a puppy while we were working full-time. We did get a puppy later on, but she has had the older dog to keep her company while we're gone :)

Edited by wuffles

I don't think anyone thinks that being a SAHM is a bad thing! I think people just get upset because most people don't "choose" to work full-time, it's just that they can't afford not to. I know I'd love to be able to stay at home with my dogs more often (and be a SAHM if I had kids) but our mortgage eats up nearly one of our salaries :D

We started off with an older dog from rescue because we didn't want a puppy while we were working full-time. We did get a puppy later on, but she has had the older dog to keep her company while we're gone :)

And yes I can fully understand that, many people would love to not have to work full time. There are also many discussions regarding that side of things that could be started and get heated as well.

I am quite sure that with a plan, puppies can survive and do quite well when people work full time - when my dogs were adults I worked full time and my Husband worked shift work. The dogs still got lots of attention, gained an ET and a CDX as well as getting to trialling level in agility and jumpers.

The other reason I got a little narky was this topic was started to gain ideas to help someone make sure their puppy was catered for properly and wasn't lonely or stressed, it them turned into a "discussion" on breeders deciding who they sell their puppies to and how can people that do work part time, or how SAH's can afford to look after the dogs they have. These two things have absolutely nothing to do with the question that was first asked.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I don't think anyone thinks that being a SAHM is a bad thing! I think people just get upset because most people don't "choose" to work full-time, it's just that they can't afford not to. I know I'd love to be able to stay at home with my dogs more often (and be a SAHM if I had kids) but our mortgage eats up nearly one of our salaries :rolleyes:

We started off with an older dog from rescue because we didn't want a puppy while we were working full-time. We did get a puppy later on, but she has had the older dog to keep her company while we're gone :rofl:

Exactly. I would never judge anyone based on whether or not they work, I just hate thinking I would be considered not suitable for a puppy because I have no choice but to work full time, that's all. My apologies for going OT.

I found a breeder who was happy to sell me a puppy even though I had young children, others told me outright no because I had a 2 yo and a 5mo, but I am sure there are many that would agree with a breeder not selling to a person with young children - but that would be okay I am sure.

And by the way what is so bad about selling puppies to SAHM's and pensioners?

Oh and even though I am at SAHM I also work a farm and run a small herd of beef cattle, so even though I do work it is not percieved as work by many because I do not actually go to work from 9 to 5. Each situation needs to been seen on it's own merits - that is the breeders need to decide if the are 100% happy selling to a particular home.

I would like you to point out exactly where I said pensioners and stay at home mums are not deserving of a puppy. When you find that imaginary post, do let me know.

I just hate thinking I would be considered not suitable for a puppy because I have no choice but to work full time, that's all. My apologies for going OT.

100% agree.

I would like you to point out exactly where I said pensioners and stay at home mums are not deserving of a puppy. When you find that imaginary post, do let me know.

You didn't say they were not deserving of a puppy, I asked what is so bad about selling to SAHM and pensioners - my exact words!

And if anyone else has good idea please feel free to share as, after all, that is what the thread is actually supposed to be about.

I just hate thinking I would be considered not suitable for a puppy because I have no choice but to work full time, that's all. My apologies for going OT.

100% agree.

And i don't like being considered not suitable for a puppy because I have young children, but I have had it happen and seen people write that they will not see to people with young children - so what exactly is the difference??

Routine we have used, and that I would want to see:

- Person takes first 4 weeks off work and in that time routinely adjusts the puppy to spending more and more time alone. Taking 4 weeks off and spending all the time with the pup and then suddenly leaving it for 8 hours is not a goer.

- While alone, puppy has kongs, treat balls, cardboard boxes to rip up, toys etc to pass the time

- Person understands that this will slow down toilet training and gives puppy a specific acceptable surface on which to toilet (newspaper, indoor dog toilet, puppy pads etc). I don't think pups should be outdoors alone in suburbia for hours at a time as they are too vulnerable, especially small/cute breeds

Both my husband and I work full time the difference being i work nights he works days. We give out puppy pigs ears or frozen chicken wings and pletny of different rotated toys. she loves her kong and wubba kong :rofl: lots of water, and plenty of exercise before and after work and of course the obedience training etc. we have been crate training to so she thinks that is great and will happily go in and put herself to bed when tired. it can be done and good luck to your mum :rofl: some toys that make her think like food hidden in upturned egg cartons or in toilet rolls with ends folded over to get her thinking might help too :rolleyes:

100% agree.

And i don't like being considered not suitable for a puppy because I have young children, but I have had it happen and seen people write that they will not see to people with young children - so what exactly is the difference??

No difference, but again, I meant no offence to anyone!! I hate to see anyone who is a responsible pet owner miss out.

100% agree.

No difference, but again, I meant no offence to anyone!! I hate to see anyone who is a responsible pet owner miss out.

On that we fully agree. I think each case is it's own.

But I also agree that each breeder has the right to set the rules for their puppies. If I don't like the rules of a breeder I search until I find one who I am happy to deal with.