Glucose In Urine - Not Diabetes

Just got a call from my son. His 8 year old staffy mix was taken to the vet last week for excessive water consumption. Urine and blood samples were taken. Test at the vet indicated high levels of glucose in urine, but lab tests for both blood and urine came back negative for diabetes and negative for bacterial infection.

He's now been asked to take up another urine sample, but asked me if I might know of any other diseases that could cause this, so he can ask the vet. It seems Badger (his dog) has just started drinking a helluva lot of water, and seems to "carry on" about getting fed more than normal. Apart from that, has no other symptoms - no lethargy, no loss of coat condition, no loss of weight, etc. There hasn't been any change in diet, dog's still getting fed his normal food.

Any ideas? Could it be Cushings?

Glucosuria may be either persistent or transient and multiple tests may be needed for differentiation of these conditions. Persistent causes of glucosuria include: diabetes mellitus, administration of glucose containing fluids, chronic disease that is not related to the kidneys such as hyperadrenocorticism, hyperpituitarism, or acromegaly. Other diseases that may result in transient hyperglycemias leading to glucosuria include: hyperthyroidism, acute pancreatitis, stress, postprandial, and administration of certain drugs. Rarely, a Fanconi-like syndrome may lead to glucosuria.

False positive test results may be caused by contamination of the sample with oxidants such as hydrogen peroxide, bleach, or occasionally pseudoglucose in obstructed cats.

There's two reasons you see glucose in the urine. The first been two much in the blood stream which exceeds the kidneys threshold, allowing it into the urine. The second, if the blood sugar level is normal, then the kidneys must be abnormal to allow it through into the urine.

Most of the diseases BellaDonna listed would also show a high blood glucose level too, if excessive glucose was present in the urine.

So basically if the dog doesn't have diabetes, then it's going to be some sort of kidney issue, assuming it wasn't just a one off occurrence.

The Fanconi like syndrome that was seen in dogs, caused an increase in thirst and urination, as well as glucose in the urine, whilst having normal blood sugar levels.

Edited by stormie

Thanks for replies, everyone.

Stormie: That was very useful, thanks for putting it in basic terms that I can explain to son.

So basically it's looking like a kidney problem. Son is getting results back on friday so will report back here when that happens.

Thanks for replies, everyone.

Stormie: That was very useful, thanks for putting it in basic terms that I can explain to son.

So basically it's looking like a kidney problem. Son is getting results back on friday so will report back here when that happens.

If it does turn out to be Fanconi then their is a protocol to replace lost electrolytes etc which can often allow a dog to continue to live a normal life. How well it works for the individual dog is variable but can give many additional years for some. Best of luck.

Thanks Chocolate.

My son also mentioned that Badger has started "shivering", apparently for no reason. He doesn't know if it's related to the excess drinking or if it's just "nerves" (his words not mine!). Could this be related?

Son is starting to get concerned. Should he be requesting another set of bloods instead of just the second urine test?

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

Urine sample taken up showed high glucose again, so badger went in for more bloods last week. Son was told to feed him a big, carbohydrate-heavy brekkie and then take him up to the vet so they could do some more tests immediately after he ate, and then some more at different points during the day.

Results: After a meal, his glucose goes up quite high, then returns to normal/just in the "high" range. Vet's opinion is that it is early stages diabetes.

Son is happy with this, but his girlfriend is concerned that vet basically said to take Badger home, keep an eye on him and bring him back up in 3 weeks for more tests.

She has asked me if they should go to a different vet and get a second opinion/more tests. I told her I didn't know. Seems weird though, not giving a precise diagnosis and then just sending him home to be watched for 3 weeks?

Opinions?