How Do You Get And Interpret Health Scores?

Lambo

I saw these results about a particular breeding dog:

Hips and Elbows

AVA Hips: 3+3=6

AVA Elbows: 0+0=0

Prcd - PRA Clear Type A

A DNA profile was also posted.

How do you interpret this info, ie what is a good result?

I noticed that details of some other breeding dogs specifically said PRA - "Clear" rather that "Clear Type A". I take it that the latter result is less reliable since (I assume) other types of PRA exist but have not been tested for. Would I correct in this?

When you buy a pup/dog, what sort of health info do you get usually? (whether from a breeder or a rescue organisation).

Is an independent examination of the prospective pup/dog by a vet of your own choosing, before you buy, the done thing? If so, how does that work? (ie does, say, a breeder usually take the dog to your chosen vet for an exam).

Different DNA tests use different coding but clear is clear no matter if it is called Type A, Grade 1, Normal or Clear. They all mean that the dog is not affected by and does not carry the gene for that condition.

The hip scores are done for each hip and the lower the score the better. As the scores range from 0:0 to 53:53, a score of 3:3 is pretty low and would be considered very good in most breeds.

Tthe elbow scores, again are for each elbow but here the scores only range from 0:0 to 3:3, and again the lower the score the better. 0:0 means perfect elbows.

The DNA profiling just means that they can prove the parentage of the dog by DNA.

I have little knowledge about this but when I was looking for a dog I contacted the breed association in my state and asked them.

They told me what to look and ask for in a pup and what scores and test results were acceptable for that breed.

They were very helpful and friendly.

When you buy a pup/dog, what sort of health info do you get usually? (whether from a breeder or a rescue organisation).

Is an independent examination of the prospective pup/dog by a vet of your own choosing, before you buy, the done thing? If so, how does that work? (ie does, say, a breeder usually take the dog to your chosen vet for an exam).

You should contact the breed clubs to find out about health tests within your own breed and also what is acceptable results within the breed.

NO - I would never take my puppies to someone elses vets. I have been going to the same vet for over 15 years. They know my dogs and know how I take care of my dogs. HOWEVER I do invite puppy buyers to meet me at the vets when I take them for check ups and vaccinations. I don't think many breeders would agree to taking their puppies to another vet, but I seriously cannot and would not understand a breeder who is not happy to have a puppy buyer meet them and hear for themselves what the vet thinks about the health of their prospective puppy.

Oh an another reason for me not wanting to go to another vet, is I have a rare breed and not many vets are conversant with Belgian Shepherds and what they do know is generally a pack of garbage!! I feel comfortable with my vets and their experience with my breed and with me:) But then my vet is a sod who has no bedside manner but will always tell you how it is with no bullshit. He is a great vet which is why I still go to him despite his lack of "bedside" manner :)

Hope this helps:)