Black Gsd

Alasse

Thank you both :laugh:

One comment - a haltie and a long line should never be used together!! You can so easily damage the dogs neck...

Seeing as i really only use it for recall training i dont think there is any danger of neck damage. It is being used pretty much as a normal lead, naturally just longer. She doesnt run off at a hundred miles per hour or anything, she stays fairly close. So there is no running to the end and resulting jerking.

The halti is part of our walking routine at present. When doing short lead work it is a must at present, i have hurt my back and cannot take any pulling at all, which she has picked up from lack of work (my fault not hers), Nika needs to get back into training, to calm back down after her forced break, hence the halti at this stage.

The lead is 20metres long...Nika would be lucky to be 10metres away from me at any time when we do recall training (as stated above i took the pics while training). I use it because it is a bylaw that dogs must be onlead at all times plus the fact as stated her recall needs work, hard to do recall training if she can only go a very short distance away on the normal short lead dontcha think? I'd rather me within council laws & her safe than not, incase she decides not to come when called, but wander onto the road that is just beside the area the pics were taken.

The fact that she has to have it on does not instantly mean she is a nutcase that runs off at any instance resulting in major jerks to her neck/head. :laugh: If she was she wouldnt be in either the halti or the check chain, both are dangerous and can do damage if she ran off and got to the end suddenly

*LOL* who would have thought showing a few pics would result in having to explain everything. Anyway, rest assured she is in no way at risk of damage. Once we get back into a routine and my back is fully recovered we will go back to just the check chain.

The halti is part of our walking routine at present. When doing short lead work it is a must at present, i have hurt my back and cannot take any pulling at all, which she has picked up from lack of work (my fault not hers), Nika needs to get back into training, to calm back down after her forced break, hence the halti at this stage.

The lead is 20metres long...Nika would be lucky to be 10metres away from me at any time when we do recall training (as stated above i took the pics while training). I use it because it is a bylaw that dogs must be onlead at all times plus the fact as stated her recall needs work, hard to do recall training if she can only go a very short distance away on the normal short lead dontcha think? I'd rather me within council laws & her safe than not, incase she decides not to come when called, but wander onto the road that is just beside the area the pics were taken.

The fact that she has to have it on does not instantly mean she is a nutcase that runs off at any instance resulting in major jerks to her neck/head. ;) If she was she wouldnt be in either the halti or the check chain, both are dangerous and can do damage if she ran off and got to the end suddenly

*LOL* who would have thought showing a few pics would result in having to explain everything. Anyway, rest assured she is in no way at risk of damage. Once we get back into a routine and my back is fully recovered we will go back to just the check chain.

Beautiful looking girl Alasse :eek: , very nice.

People do tend to come under fire a bit using Halti's on GSD's especially I have noticed quite often, I think because the GSD is a highly chosen breed amoungst serious trainers due to their intelligence, versatility and trainability and are regarded as a breed that don't need those types of training props that perhaps a lesser intelligent breed may need???. I have seen many times a dozen dogs pass by a working dog enthusiast wearing a halti and nothing is mentioned, but a GSD on a halti it's like "oh poo" get that silly thing off it's head :D Halti's and GSD's do often create some unwanted attention :)

The fact that she has to have it on does not instantly mean she is a nutcase that runs off at any instance resulting in major jerks to her neck/head. ;) If she was she wouldnt be in either the halti or the check chain, both are dangerous and can do damage if she ran off and got to the end suddenly

Beautiful looking girl Alasse :eek: , very nice.

People do tend to come under fire a bit using Halti's on GSD's especially I have noticed quite often, I think because the GSD is a highly chosen breed amoungst serious trainers due to their intelligence, versatility and trainability and are regarded as a breed that don't need those types of training props that perhaps a lesser intelligent breed may need???. I have seen many times a dozen dogs pass by a working dog enthusiast wearing a halti and nothing is mentioned, but a GSD on a halti it's like "oh poo" get that silly thing off it's head :D Halti's and GSD's do often create some unwanted attention :)

what nonsense.the comment has been made for al dogs on a long leash and a halti. people have a view that hatlis can cause damage to a dogs neck regardless of breed. do a search before you make comments about what people have in their minds

People do tend to come under fire a bit using Halti's on GSD's especially I have noticed quite often, I think because the GSD is a highly chosen breed amoungst serious trainers due to their intelligence, versatility and trainability and are regarded as a breed that don't need those types of training props that perhaps a lesser intelligent breed may need???.

LOL a dog pulling on the leash has nothing to do with how intelligent it is :eek:

The fact that she has to have it on does not instantly mean she is a nutcase that runs off at any instance resulting in major jerks to her neck/head. :cheer: If she was she wouldnt be in either the halti or the check chain, both are dangerous and can do damage if she ran off and got to the end suddenly

Beautiful looking girl Alasse :) , very nice.

People do tend to come under fire a bit using Halti's on GSD's especially I have noticed quite often, I think because the GSD is a highly chosen breed amoungst serious trainers due to their intelligence, versatility and trainability and are regarded as a breed that don't need those types of training props that perhaps a lesser intelligent breed may need???. I have seen many times a dozen dogs pass by a working dog enthusiast wearing a halti and nothing is mentioned, but a GSD on a halti it's like "oh poo" get that silly thing off it's head :cheer: Halti's and GSD's do often create some unwanted attention :cheer:

what nonsense.the comment has been made for al dogs on a long leash and a halti. people have a view that hatlis can cause damage to a dogs neck regardless of breed. do a search before you make comments about what people have in their minds

Only speaking from my own experience Jaxx'sBuddy :) Take a GSD or Rotty near "most" working dog trainers/handlers on a Halti they will comment negatively about the device guaranteed. Turn up to working dog training with a Halti, you will be made to take it off :D

Edited by K9Nev

People do tend to come under fire a bit using Halti's on GSD's especially I have noticed quite often, I think because the GSD is a highly chosen breed amoungst serious trainers due to their intelligence, versatility and trainability and are regarded as a breed that don't need those types of training props that perhaps a lesser intelligent breed may need???.

LOL a dog pulling on the leash has nothing to do with how intelligent it is :)

I don't know how the trainability lists are rated, but some breeds are considered more easily trained than others. Border Collies usually top that list :)

I don't know how the trainability lists are rated, but some breeds are considered more easily trained than others. Border Collies usually top that list :rofl:

Apologies for taking the OP further off topic (lovely GSD btw!) but those lists don't prove anything other than that some dogs are more naturally biddable than others. You'd hope BCs rank highly for working well for people, how would they rank if it were a test on their ability to excel in dog sledding? Or their ability as a scent hound? All those tests prove is the inability of the trainer running them to motivate and train breeds outside of their limited experience :thumbsup:

On a side note, beagles rank 72nd on the "intelligence of dogs" list and my beagle regularly works better than a range of other breeds including BCs at our obedience club. Oh and she walks on a loose leash too :rofl:

Once again the perceived intelligence of a breed has nothing to do with it's capability to walk on a loose leash :) LLW is not difficult to train and a good trainer can have any dog walking on a loose leash within a short training session regardless of breed.

I don't know how the trainability lists are rated, but some breeds are considered more easily trained than others. Border Collies usually top that list :laugh:

Apologies for taking the OP further off topic (lovely GSD btw!) but those lists don't prove anything other than that some dogs are more naturally biddable than others. You'd hope BCs rank highly for working well for people, how would they rank if it were a test on their ability to excel in dog sledding? Or their ability as a scent hound? All those tests prove is the inability of the trainer running them to motivate and train breeds outside of their limited experience :cheer:

On a side note, beagles rank 72nd on the "intelligence of dogs" list and my beagle regularly works better than a range of other breeds including BCs at our obedience club. Oh and she walks on a loose leash too :cheer:

Once again the perceived intelligence of a breed has nothing to do with it's capability to walk on a loose leash ;) LLW is not difficult to train and a good trainer can have any dog walking on a loose leash within a short training session regardless of breed.

Double post, sorry :cheer:

Edited by K9Nev

I don't know how the trainability lists are rated, but some breeds are considered more easily trained than others. Border Collies usually top that list :cheer:

Apologies for taking the OP further off topic (lovely GSD btw!) but those lists don't prove anything other than that some dogs are more naturally biddable than others. You'd hope BCs rank highly for working well for people, how would they rank if it were a test on their ability to excel in dog sledding? Or their ability as a scent hound? All those tests prove is the inability of the trainer running them to motivate and train breeds outside of their limited experience :eek:

On a side note, beagles rank 72nd on the "intelligence of dogs" list and my beagle regularly works better than a range of other breeds including BCs at our obedience club. Oh and she walks on a loose leash too :)

Once again the perceived intelligence of a breed has nothing to do with it's capability to walk on a loose leash :cheer: LLW is not difficult to train and a good trainer can have any dog walking on a loose leash within a short training session regardless of breed.

From what I have read, the trainability rating is the ease of training amoungst different breeds, meaning some breeds are easier to train than others. Most of those lists although some vary, the Border Collie is usually #1, GSD#2 ACD#3 Lab#4???. I guess we can interpret those lists as we wish :cheer: That's the beauty of not having a BC huski, at least you can't get called a lousy trainer when you don't have the supposed most trainable breed. When they tell me I have the wrong agility breed, I agree with them :laugh: ;)

Edited by K9Nev

From what I have read, the trainability rating is the ease of training amoungst different breeds, meaning some breeds are easier to train than others. Most of those lists although some vary, the Border Collie is usually #1, GSD#2 ACD#3 Lab#4???. I guess we can interpret those lists as we wish :) That's the beauty of not having a BC huski, at least you can't get called a lousy trainer when you don't have the supposed most trainable breed. When they tell me I have the wrong agility breed, I agree with them :laugh::)

Some breeds might be easier to train to do certain tasks, it's really not an indicator of intelligence, though. And has nothing to do with training LLW :)

WOW from photo thread to ..... off topic hehe

Alasse all i can say is you have one gorgeous girl there! She is lovely you have done GREAT with her training to date and you have a lovely girl which turns heads no matter where you go!

ALL i can say is GOOD ON YOU!! for taking YOUR PET OUT for a walk when you've hurt your back.. most people dont think about their animals when injured let alone anything but themselves... well done.. i know how responsible you are and i certainly have met Nika and you together and she's a brilliantly behaved girl! She is all about pleasing you and being as close to you as possible!

I understand what is meant about neck pain and damage to dogs but this certainly dont apply to you!

oh and just to throw in i agree with K9Nev... put a halti on a dog in different kind of training and yep you are told to remove it! I personally dont agree with them.. have tried them and dont like them.. but each to their own.. BUT back to topic... Alasse she's stunning you've done a brilliant job with her! You should be SOOO proud!