Working Full Time And What To Do With Dogs At Home

Anastascia

Hello everyone,

I would like to know how everyone manages full time work and doggies. I have recently gone back to work and my hours are long, generally start around 7.30am and finish around 5.30pm, so I am away from 7-6 each day. My dogs have been used to having me home most of the time for the past few months so it is a bit of a shock for them. I have been getting up and walking them from 5-6am each morning before work, it's pitch black, around -2 to 0 and frosty!

I am feeling guilty and grumpy - guilty for leaving them so long and grumpy that I don't have much time for exercise/gym.

I am meeting a lady tomorrow who does dog walking and will be looking into having them walked 3 times a week for an hour at a time. I am hoping that gives me three days a week for the gym before work.

How do you manage full time work and dogs? My situation won't be forever - my partner is away for work this year but comes home later in the year so we will go back to 'shared' dog care and he will be hopefully home more than me and can do extra walking of hounds.

I make sure I give my dogs Kongs and Treat Pyramids which keep them entertained.

Second topic - when I am home, my dogs are inside or outside if I am gardening. However, I feel kind of unco around them, in that I don't know what games or interaction to have with them (I feel the same way with kids, I don't really know what they want to do :laugh:). It sounds silly but I pat/hug and sit when them on the lounge etc but I don't know what else to really do. I throw the ball around the yard (and inside the house, shh) but that's about it.

What games or interaction do you have with your dog? I feel like they think I am boring! Please help!

You'll probably find that once you're in a routine both you and the dogs will get used to it pretty quickly.

We walk ours at 6am, 10 minutes of ball throwing or training for the puppy, then they stay inside while we get ready for work. I then put them outside, give them a Kong each, scatter kibble around the yard, rotate the toys and leave - they don't even look up from their Kongs.

Once I get home, I find they're pretty happy just to laze around the house. I spend a lot of time with them on weekends (take them to OH's soccer games, dog park, off leash walks, etc). My older boy's favourite is getting pats on the couch, so he gets that every night :o The puppy loves running and training so she gets that every day as well.

I'd love to be able to stay at home with them more often but unfortunately this is our reality and we cope pretty well :laugh:

Edited to add: OH is here as well but he doesn't do much with them :D When I go out I usually come home to him at his computer with his headphones on and the dogs fast asleep in their beds :laugh:

Edited by wuffles

Ugh. Owner guilt. Its a tough one. :laugh:

Truthfully you are probably more bothered by it than the dogs. They will get used to it.

Only thing I can suggest is instead of going to the gym, jog with your dogs.

For me going to the gym would eat into my "home" time and I cant justify that. The dog needs exercise and so do I, so I jog with my dog. :laugh:

Edited by ✽deelee

My dogs spend at least 90% of their time lying around doing nothing so I don't feel that guilty working full time :(

I do obedience so I spend a fair bit of my time with them playing training games. I've taught Daisy all the obedience basics but I've also done things like teach her to pick up and retrieve a wooden dumbell, do the scent discrimination exercise etc. The training I do with her is pretty high energy so we don't need to do a lot to give her a good burst of mental and physical stimulation.

ETA: I am a mean dog owner and I do nothing when I leave the house - I don't get out toys for them or give them kongs or anything :laugh: But then again they don't give a crap when I leave either :laugh:

Edited by huski

Work is a reality for a lot of us, I don't make a big deal out of leaving or coming home, and neither do the dogs. They just do their doggy stuff during the day.....sleep, mostly I suspect....while I'm not there.

When I get home we walk, play or just hang out together, or all three.

Doing stuff outside, mine help with the gardening, usually one of them lays where I want to pull weeds so I work around her and she eventually shifts. One will take cuttings and put them in a pile for me, although it might not be where I want the pile, he also bites off rose heads for me....often with full blooms still attached.

Like kids, it takes longer but it's a lot more fun with the dogs involved. They like to come to the compost heap, I tip the barrow of stuff on, they dig around and make a mess. Raking leaves is one step forward, two steps back, but they have a ball getting in my way and scattering the leaves faster than I can rake them up.

Now we have a puppy it's even slower but more fun cos he makes me laugh, he's so cute.

We have a few projects on the to-do list, as we only recently moved to this property. One of them it to fill the fishponds and add some goldfish, and I can see where the dogs might be very helpful with that. Maybe we'll just fill the ponds first and see about fish later.

I just get on with what I want to do and the dogs "help".

Second topic - when I am home, my dogs are inside or outside if I am gardening. However, I feel kind of unco around them, in that I don't know what games or interaction to have with them (I feel the same way with kids, I don't really know what they want to do :(). It sounds silly but I pat/hug and sit when them on the lounge etc but I don't know what else to really do. I throw the ball around the yard (and inside the house, shh) but that's about it.

What games or interaction do you have with your dog? I feel like they think I am boring! Please help!

I can't really answer on the first topic - I work full time but Z mostly sleeps while I'm out so he couldn't care less if I'm there or not.

As for games, Zero and I play stupid games depending on how we're feeling. Zero loves it when I just walk up beside him and give him a bit of a push - he spins around and his tail starts wagging. I'll push him gently backwards on the chest and he'll come running forward so I can do it again. If i take a step to the side, he does a little side step too. We also play stalking games around the house and i often jump out at him from behind things (he always knows I'm there). He loooooooves that game - he will usually do some zoomies and come running back at me so he can but his head into my legs. Then there's "slappy face" where I pretty much tap his cheeks while he throws his head from side to side - it's probably his favourite game and he will come and put his head into my lap to play it if I'm watching TV. I have a bunch of stuff I do to rev Z up as well like playing with his tail while he's walking past me, making funny noises at him and just running around and having fun with him.

They're silly games and I don't know how well they'd translate to another dog playing them but he loves them - I don't even know how we started playing them!

OMG Shell Zero and Micha really freak me out. Micha's favourite game is when I pretend to be a monster and step forward really slowly with my hands like claws saying "I'm going to get you!" :laugh: He LOVES it - he wooo wooos and spins and play bows me :( Oh, and he'll suddenly run away really fast, then I'll hide, and he'll turn around and I'll jump out and he gets so excited :laugh: Awww, silly Sibe boys, they are so cute.

Edited by huski

I think my dogs care more about how close we are than what exactly we do. I play tug with them, or toss toys in the air for them to catch, and lie on the ground with them and push them around. They climb on me and roll around on their backs for belly rubs. We have quiet times as well. Cuddles, brushing, massages. They love training best, though. Well, maybe tug best, but I like teaching them things as long as I'm rewarding them with something.

Mine sleep all day, mostly. They get an off leash run in the park in the mornings before work and I often go to the gym in the afternoon after work, then come home and play with them or do some training. I used to jog with Kivi, but he's too lazy! I think Erik might be a good jogging companion once he's old enough, though.

My husband makes up stories for the dogs and lays in bed with them, telling them their stories, of which they are usually in the starring role. I swear the dogs understand every word he says and they lay there in rapt wonder listening to his stories.

It doesn't really matter what you do with the dogs, what games you play or even if you play any, just as long as they are with you and happy about it. Dusty's very favourite pastime is to snuggle on the couch with me with her head on my lap while I watch TV. If she could get closer, she would.

She also loves having a nana-nap with me on a weekend afternoon. We sneak off to the bedroom and snuggle under a blanket on the bed and have a snooze together.

OMG Shell Zero and Micha really freak me out. Micha's favourite game is when I pretend to be a monster and step forward really slowly with my hands like claws saying "I'm going to get you!" :laugh: He LOVES it - he wooo wooos and spins and play bows me :( Oh, and he'll suddenly run away really fast, then I'll hide, and he'll turn around and I'll jump out and he gets so excited :laugh: Awww, silly Sibe boys, they are so cute.

That's freaky! I play that exact game with Z and he has the exact same reaction! Crazy sibes! :laugh:

That's freaky! I play that exact game with Z and he has the exact same reaction! Crazy sibes! :laugh:

We should film them one day...

Mishy loves it when I "scare" him, he's so funny.

Edited by huski

It's not just the Sibes that are crazy :laugh: My kelpie loves that game too :laugh:

Mine sleep a lot of the time - we play stupid things like chase the plastic bottle or roll over on the floor and try and eat your own paws ( :( bloodhounds) or they play steal the toy from each other

The kelpie does love her tug and I try and get out with each of them individually plus walk the 2 of them for 30 mins in the morning (11 year old son helps here)

Wish OH would do more with them as he has 5 days out of every 10 home during the day but he is totally clueless about it (so much for the BH being HIS dog *L*)

Roll on school holidays - 2 weeks of time to do all the things that are fun

We should film them one day...

Mishy loves it when I "scare" him, he's so funny.

We should! I'll see if I can get him playing it on the weekend!

It's not just the Sibes that are crazy :laugh: My kelpie loves that game too :(

It does translate then! :laugh:

My girl has been going to work with hubby 3 days a week but next month he will no longer have that job so she won't be able to. I'm shifting my roster around all for HER and working weekends and having Mondays and Wednesdays off (gee the things we do for dogs) and starting late on Friday.. so she will be home Tuesdays and Thursdays for 9hours and Friday for 5hours, and I am ALREADY worrying :(:laugh: I literally couldn't have her alone 9hrs 5 days straight every week cos I'm such a sucker LOL. 2 days sends me worrying in advance.

.... she does sleep all day though, indoors, with the radio on and 3 couches, 2 soft beds and lots of toys!

Tango's used to being at home alone from 6am to 7pm (or later if I have tea at mate's place) - has been doing it since he was 14 weeks old (now 4 and a half) - I wish he slept all day but according to the neighbours he sleeps till mid afternoon then gets up and either trots around, sunbakes or plays zoomies in the mud if it's been raining (today there were muddy paw prints on the top of his kennel - 4.5' high)....the dog that greets me on rainy days has to be towelled off and brushed before he even gets near the door to the house......I slide him a Bonio and oftern we will play soccer with it on the kitchen floor - he's a pretty good goalie!)...then he throws himself down in front of the heater and only stirs if there is food around or I make his tea.

On weekends he's either in the car with me, pottering around with me, helping me in the garden (so I throw a ball so I get a chance to do something constructive) or just lying under my feet if I'm on the computer - seems pretty happy and stable (welll, as stable as a young male GSP can be :( )

Thanks everyone, I feel much better!

Yes, I suspect mine sleep most of the day, they are generally in their kennel when I open the door and they do big stretches and yawns and come inside all sleepy. As they get older they will probably sleep more of the day as well.

It seems I am probabaly on the right path in just spending time with them, I think I will do more training though because that would be good mental stimulation for them too.

Anyway, off to the dog park, have a great weekend everyone :(

Even after a year and a half of owning Shyla I still am the one that suffers the anxiety when I have to leave her. She took a LONG time to relax about us coming and going, maybe that was my fault cos she could feel my energy? I think about it days in advance like "oh no she's alone 9hrs on tuesday". Blah!